Agnostic.com

500 20

What moral code do you follow now that you are non-religious?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

500 comments (476 - 500)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

When I was younger, and controlled by outside forces that only confused me and lead me on destructive paths, I walked around feeling guilty and full of shame for my actions. I thought that I was searching for love and only found misery. Since then, I have looked inward for guidance and continue to do so and find that by honoring the compassion that feel for others and acting from that compassion is the only road to happiness. I am appalled by horror that I see in the world everyday knowing that much of it is blind faith based. The hypocrisy of world religions has lead me to believe there is no god.

I've always believed in doing the right thing. Being honest, helping as many people and animals as you can, and to always show kindness until the person proves they do not deserve your kindness anymore.

To treat others with dignity, respect and kindness and to help in anyway I can those who need help.

I have always treated others the way I would like to be treated. It's that simple and I don't need the threat of hell to keep me on the straight and narrow or the promise of heaven for doing good. If you need that threat or reward can you actually say you are a good person?

My own awareness and empathy.

Whiz Level 1 Oct 6, 2017

I believe in the Golden Rule. I do not intentionally try to harm others and expect people to do the same for me. As an atheist, I cannot go to church or some guy and ask for forgiveness from their deity. Therefore, I believe I have to take the higher ground because there is only myself to answer to.

Golden Rule and Live and Let Live.

Nihilism

What i see logical

I keep it simple. If something increases or prolongs well being or lessens or eliminates harm then it is good. If something diminishes or ends well being or inflicts or increases harm then it is bad. Obviously, not all things are black and white and pros and cons have to be weighed.

We HUMANS, help and love each other, without resources(those developed things we're addicted to) we are nothing, and at that moment tiger won't help and understand you, a human do.

Always try to do the right thing. The right thing is seldom the easy thing...

What goes around comes around.

cool Level 1 Sep 30, 2017

I was taught in AA to take a daily moral inventory and when wrong.....and you better not let your ego get in the way of making a decision on that..that you should admit it and possibly make amends. That way you don't let a lot of garbage build up and it's easier to move on. Were all human and we all make mistakes. Best to learn from others mistakes though.

I believe in science and energy. So I believe that you get from the universe, what you put out. If I want good things and a happy life, I need to put that energy out there. That means having empathy and treating others with human decency. It also means believing in equity and equality for every human.

Do unto others

Do the right thing and treat all people equal and with respect.

Not so much a moral code just how I try to live my life. Be kind. Smile at everyone. Help others. Get others to smile. Help others to feel good about themselves. As for the "law of the land" I am a convicted felon so that obviously isn't working out too well.

Cathy Level 2 Sep 29, 2017

Michael Shermer's code: When making moral choices, choose the option that affordS you the most freedom and pleasure, taking care not to interfere with the freedom and pleasure of others.

Cause the least amount of harm.

The law of LOVE and The Golden Rule being a universal philosophy that many religions adhere to, but it's not attached to any one particular belief system, is the way to carry that out.

Donna Level 6 Sep 29, 2017

I just try to do good things. If is good for me for and the other people envolved, I know that is probably the right thing to do. If don't hurt anybody is valid.

Heping others rather than harm them and being responsible

Humanism

I just prefer to use other words that are not so closely associated with religion. ie. 'trust' instead of 'faith' & 'think' instead of 'belief' when stating my point of view.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:35
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.