Agnostic.com

500 20

What moral code do you follow now that you are non-religious?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

500 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Do no harm, the golden rule, and be kind. I don't have to believe karma is real in order to want to replace it in a positive way.

Deb57 Level 8 June 7, 2018

Mine.

EMC2 Level 8 May 18, 2018

Same as before... Treat everyone as you want to be treated and most importantly, do NOT break the law !!!! As you can see, none of those have anything to do with being religious or not

Which law?

@PontifexMarximus the one you have to deal with when you kill someone, or commit fraud, or go over a stop light, or rob a bank, or don't pay your taxes, etc etc etc

@IamNobody many laws lead to immoral outcomes. Laws are stitched up and cobbled together within polities that lack moral foundations. The connection between legal frameworks and morality is rather arbitrary.

@IamNobody Some ethnic communities would never have been able to achieve the alignments of the rights with the prevailing order if the had just respected the laws.
Respecting laws can be immoral. Being law abiding only means a person is obidient and a good follower.
Totalitarian regimes also apply the rule of law for self protection.

@PontifexMarximus you can cut it anyway you like, I am saying you follow the law then you will be fine and you don't any religious beliefs to do so

@IamNobody So laws compelling citizens to denounce others because of their ethnicity or religion or political conviction should be followed?

@PontifexMarximus yes !! Spot on !!

Harm none, follow a path of compassion, attempt equanimity

I never was religious and had very strange irreligious parents & extended family - In 1952 I was four years old and could read, I read everything, I found even things I should never have got my hands on so all of my morals come from those books and the classics of childrens' books are morality squared. Real life was quite alien to me . I learned all the politenesses how to stay out of trouble and got all of my morality deepened with each inspiring book that I read . I was mostly reading because i needed to be invisible in a bonky family - because people leave you alone when you are lost in a book. Reality was a lot harder!

I'm sorry. I tried to be invisible as a child,too. Books were the best escape. It all worked out, but it took me a long time to find my voice. I hope you are doing well.

@DevraisA1 I still find arrogant people hard to cope with but live in sheltered accommodation which is a little escape from the world At the moment we have an absolutely dotty scheme co-ordinator who knows zilch about older people and can only talk about her make up her kids her clothes her everythign so its a bit boring when she's around but on the whole its easy to by pass her!

While I don't follow any strict code, I still generally follow the "golden rule" of "treat others how you want to be treated (and can reasonably expect them to want to be treated)."

I have a loose moral code of trying to leave things better than I found them which, to varying degrees, includes not just places, but animals and people.

I also strive for social equity and justice in what ways I can, as I think these fall under the "golden rule" category.

There's much more, but that's a good start, I think.

Be nice to people, make them smile, offer a helping hand when you can and most important of all, don't be a dick!

That is so important! 😀 !
Glad you brought it up!

I do the right thing because it's the right thing, not because of any imaginary reward I might get when I die and not to avoid getting punished in a nonexistent afterlife. As Gertrude Stein said "Dead is dead." I do like how Abe Lincoln put it: "When I do good I feel good. When I do bad I feel bad. That's my religion." Of course, atheism is not a religion but I still love the quote.

Be kind. Be generous. Help where you can. Offer a compliment to a random stranger. Give an elderly person a ride. Spend ten minutes of your precious life helping someone else. It's not rocket science.

For those who say their moral code is "do no harm"...I'm curious if you find this complete? What if through your inaction someone comes to harm? Would you need to include "prevent harm" to your code? Would you harm someone to prevent death to others? Is being a hero required, or is it enough to simply not be a killer? I've had a similar conversation with a very religious friend who doesn't think inaction that leads to death is the same as action that leads to death. In my opinion, either way, you were responsible for someone dying. How do you make the distinction, or do you think there is one?

Having a comic artist background, I've always tried to walk the walk when it came to some of the "hero" mindset. Do the right thing, be a positive role model and help whenever you can/should. In other words I take the positive force code. My presence should be positive everywhere I go to all around me.

The non aggresion principle is a more complete philosophy. Google NAP.

Well - a humanist code - understanding - humaneness - kindness are goals of mine though I don't always meet my standards

I believe in the golden rule - which the "holy" books all teach. But way too many religious do not follow this rule. Treat others and yourself with respect.

i believe being a Moral person has Nothing to do with religion. It has more to do with Common sense. We all know what is right and wrong ...unless you are sociopath, who may lack a conscience to guide them..

To do right by my fellow man and do the next right thing, I know the first part Thomas Paine, but that's what I belive too

My own moral code all that is required is empathy and a little common sense.

So the default position is that only religion confers morality?

And there are other codes from which to choose to follow?

I follow a moral code of risks. Are the risks worth it. For instance, If you know that someone is going to do something that is going to affect your health or lifestyle, then what would or could you do depending on the outcome. I look at all people as dying. This is it. The one life that we have. It makes you more compassionate towards others, and I feel sorry for other people because they cannot live their true lives. I don't bother with other people...words are just words...Now if someone was going to do something directly to me that is going to affect the short time I have, there may be some backlash. It would have to be something big, like robbery or violence. Boundary setting it important too. When you aren't religious, you don't have to prove yourself to anyone, organization or god. You can be who you want and say what you will. You have an opportunity to set boundaries, and ask yourself is this important. I don't waste my time getting into it with people, because that is not what I want to do with my life. You don't need a moral code, you just do what feels right or wrong to yourself. You look at all life as finite, so it allows you to avoid bullshit. Things just don't bother you as much when you know your dying and there is no afterlife, reincarnation or god.

My morals have not changed, generally don't hurt people.

I don't really think about it.
I try to help people who need it and be fair in all my exchanges.

It's not a code, it's a compulsion.

What is popularly known as the Wiccan Rede: "An ye harm none, do what thou wilt," which is just a variation on the Golden Rule. Morality needn't be any more complex that that.

Deb57 Level 8 Aug 18, 2018

Haven't really found a codified behaviour that sums up all my ideals. But when things are peachy, it doesn't really matter. But when they turn to shit, and they will, it is my endeavour to be a level head and help where best I can. Somewheres I wrote a hierarchy of behaviour. A sort of flow chart that might help you figure out what kind of asshole you're dealing with. Let's see...
It's better to build than to destroy.
It's better to heal than to ignore.
It's better harm than to kill.
It's better to kill than to die.
Something like that. There were more. But those are the essentials.
I stand ready for your critique.

sounds about right to me...

Same one as ever. BE NICE.

Carin Level 8 Aug 14, 2018

"Do unto others..."

Reduce instances of hurting others; attempt to stop others from coming to harm.

"I will accept any rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress, Robert Heinlein

Wow--awesome!!

use nice until you run out.

I have never been religious but I rather like 'do as you would be done by' ; I don't let anyone talk down to me more than once; I refuse to be treated as the little lady given that I was hte first woman plasterer /general builder in the U.K. I have no regard for anyone who thinks that they are better than others by sheer dint of having piles of dosh.
And I rarely believe conservative politicians without checking facts.

jacpod Level 8 July 23, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:35
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.