Agnostic.com

500 20

What moral code do you follow now that you are non-religious?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

500 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Well - a humanist code - understanding - humaneness - kindness are goals of mine though I don't always meet my standards

I believe in the golden rule - which the "holy" books all teach. But way too many religious do not follow this rule. Treat others and yourself with respect.

I make a point of never eating Christian babies on Friday.

Yay, meatless fridays! LOL

Be nice to people, make them smile, offer a helping hand when you can and most important of all, don't be a dick!

That is so important! 😀 !
Glad you brought it up!

I try to live life honestly, to myself and others, try to cause the least harm and most good in the bits of the world I interact with, and be the friend I'd like to have.

I tend to go with maxims or mottos a lot....
To thine own self be true, Live and let live, love others...

Generally, if I need to lie or be deceptive to achieve a goal, I don't pursue it.
and when I'm feeling macho... “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.” John Wayne. 🙂
Peace

I've followed that code sine I heard it on the "Shootist" has served me well

Our morals are evolutionary. Back in the day, wearing our bear skins and living in caves we soon learned that if we were obnoxious pricks, thieves or murderers we would be kicked out of the clan. We are pack animals and couldn't survive solo so we constantly checked that we were pulling our weight (notice we still compare ourselves with others). We learned altruism because we wanted people to be kind to us when we became sick or injured, others in turn would care for us.

I'd argue that during the long period of human prehistory, when we lived in small tightly-knit communities of between twenty and maybe fifty or so, the impulse to do wrong to others wouldn't have occured, other than - as studies of surviving groups of forest nomads have revealed - in the context of raids by other groups.

Probably the code of malefficience (which I believe) translates to 'do no harm'. But as I have said before 'morality is in the mind of the beholder'.

RonB Level 5 May 3, 2018

Oops...I meant to say 'non malefficience' ....do not harm. 'Malefficience' means the exact opposite. Lucky I caught that one in time.

Hmmm... I think the "shoulds" of life would be to try to do as much good, reduce as much harm, and help others in their quest to do the same. But, with the variety of human existence, we'd be hard pressed to decide what is a "good," given that the definition lies solely within each individual.

Biochemicially, the imperatives and needed direction for humans, with regard to this question, are laid fairly bare. Positive chemicals swirl when we help others. Answer this question: If person "A" was asked how much they like person "B"...and vice versa. Then, person "B" asks person "A" for a favor, that person "A" then completes. How would the "ratings" change? Would both change their ratings? Most would expect B's impression to increase, and A's to remain somewhat unchanged. Social Science, and Neuroscience say otherwise. They have actually found that person A's impression of person B increases! And B's impression of A remains somewhat steady! Why? Cognitive Dissonance. "A" cannot maintain negative feelings about "B," and do a favor at the same time...as "A's" brain has decided that, "well, I must have liked something about "B," or I wouldn't have done that favor!" "B" is kinda like...meh, another favor. Thanks."

Where am I going with this? It's not enough just to not be a killer. It's not enough to just do no harm. Active engagement in life, preserving life of/for others, tending others, tending non-human life, and preventing harm all increase our internal wellbeing, as we receive floods of chemicals saying we benefitted humanity, as well as creating and resolving cognitive dissonances which cause us to "like" others around us more with every bit of help we give. To find the greatest wellbeing is the goal of humanity. We achieve that by increasing the wellbeing of others. The level achievable or desired by each human varies...but, for the most part, in the average of human existence, the underlying neuro-pathways and reward system are the same.

A deep biochemical analysis. I do agree with you.

First do no harm, and treat others like I wish to be treated.

I'm not always successful, but I will put my record up against any "good" Christian.

Ozman Level 7 July 18, 2018

Treat people as They Would Be Treated...

(They don't all WANT to be treated as you might like... You can trust me on this... I Know.)

Reduce instances of hurting others; attempt to stop others from coming to harm.

"I will accept any rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress, Robert Heinlein

Wow--awesome!!

Haven't really found a codified behaviour that sums up all my ideals. But when things are peachy, it doesn't really matter. But when they turn to shit, and they will, it is my endeavour to be a level head and help where best I can. Somewheres I wrote a hierarchy of behaviour. A sort of flow chart that might help you figure out what kind of asshole you're dealing with. Let's see...
It's better to build than to destroy.
It's better to heal than to ignore.
It's better harm than to kill.
It's better to kill than to die.
Something like that. There were more. But those are the essentials.
I stand ready for your critique.

sounds about right to me...

There seems to be(?) an implication here that being an atheist means rejecting everything religious people believe in. It's not like political parties that both feel that they are obligated to hate everything their opponents like. I have no problem with the later half of the ten commandments but don't need a hard copy of them to remain compliant. If there is a physical "moral code" somewhere it might be interesting to see. I tried to search "moral code" just now and only got a definition for "morality" for which I also have no problem. So is there an assumption that atheists can't tell right from wrong or moral from immoral if we don't reference the Bible for that information?

OCJoe Level 6 Sep 5, 2018

Well put....people generally know "right" from "wrong"

The question assumes that until a person comes out as agnostic or atheist/a-theist then she follows a religious code of ethics.Suddenly, one day he decides that he is in fact a non-believer so for the first time must decide from where she will now get her moral principles.A non-question as for years I and many others have rejected religion as the basis on which we rest our ethical principles.Airing those views on a public platform thanks to the WWB heralds no change in how we treat others including animals.I was already a vegetarian prior to communicating my views to the world and view my fellow humans as deserving of respect without the need for a man made god to encourage me to love my neighbour for fear of eternal suffering if I do not.

Well stated. Thank you

The same one that most religions pretend to preach.

To do right by my fellow man and do the next right thing, I know the first part Thomas Paine, but that's what I belive too

Be kind, honest,fair,and do not abuse or suffer abuse. Keep an open mind, listen and allow logic to overide desire.

decency and respect goes beyond religion

I just prefer to use other words that are not so closely associated with religion. ie. 'trust' instead of 'faith' & 'think' instead of 'belief' when stating my point of view.

Same one that came naturally (innate); do good, be good.

my own, that I have born

tonia Level 5 Sep 25, 2017

common sense

In large part our government creates laws based on morals created from a biblical framework. So obey the law and do unto others etc.

I try to follow the same moral code as laid out in this site, and I follow the laws of my Country.

Humanism

I go by the wise notion of don't be a dick. works so far.

Heping others rather than harm them and being responsible

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:35
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.