Agnostic.com

500 20

What moral code do you follow now that you are non-religious?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

500 comments (126 - 150)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I consider the consequences of my actions and how they might affect others.

What I consider the best moral code. Treat everyone as you wish to be treated, do as much good and as little harm as you can, always offer to help when it is possible and put yourself in others shoes before you form an opinion of them. People who cannot respect you should be removed from your life.
If I can publicly state what I have done without embarrassment, then I have done the right thing.
Oh, and never be ashamed to apologize or say you are wrong.

Moral code has nothing to do with religion. We should know right from wrong and how it affects others.

Nesa Level 1 Oct 16, 2017

This question makes no sense. I don't understand what a moral code has to do with religion.

Stupidly framed question. Being 'religious' or 'non-religious' is irrelevant.

ALL religious, non-religious and all cultures follow The Golden Rule.... until they don't.

I believe that atheists as a rule are more morally responsible as they do not have the belief that a god will forgive them for not being so

Don't be a douche

3 rules of life, never cause harm, cost or damage to anyone.

Golden rule, help when you can help, keep your shit in order, be a benefit to the world, your friends, and family, not a burden on any of the listed.

A very simple one: Do not do to others what one do not want done to oneself. Actually, it is an old Chinese moral code, still work pretty well for me. One must realise that religion is but one of many types of social institutions, it do not have monopoly on moral codes.

Lol, loaded question. I'm not religious , never have been. My moral code was influenced by my father. A very broad minded , intelligent , considerate and loving man. The one thing he taught me that guides to me this day is respect. Respect for others and most living things.

First, do no harm. Every person has worth and dignity; there are no exceptions. I believe in the democratic process, not authoritarianism or fascism. There is but one race, the human. I am a citizen of the planet and have no patience for any kind of exclusionary nationalism. All of the spectrum of sense experience is to be enjoyed as well as utilized to interact with the physical world; the sensual nature is despised, ignored or repressed at our peril, but is never to be used for harm to any being. I believe in freedom of conscience on the individual level, in every person's right to decide for themselves their beliefs. I believe that justice and equity are right, and that manipulative opacity in governing or management or marketing, exploitation, racism, classism and religious bigotry are evils that need to be confronted, called out and eliminated. I believe and uphold the essential goodness and improveability of human nature.

Me? The same morals as any modern culture or religion promotes. If you need a god to tell you what's right and wrong, if you might do immoral things if your god didn't threaten you with eternal torture, then you are a sociopath. That's a situation where religion is doing a good thing, so keep on believing. I won't try to convince you otherwise.

Treat everyone as you would
like to be treated; simple as that!

My morality is based on humanity. The needs of people individually, in a group or as a society.

always been non delusional , treat others same way they treat me

Pretty much the same. You treat people the way your wish people would treat you. You behave in such a way to make society better for everyone, not just yourself.

The wiccans have a nice turn of phrase, I'm particularly fond of: An it harm none, do as ye will. This is elegant in its simplicity and yet rich with meaning.

I use common sense. I just follow the rules, laws. I treat people the way they treat me.

Morality is creation of weak people to constrain the strong. Even atheists today have christian ethics whether they realize it or not. Only few are truly secular like me, Nietzsche and Marquis de Sade.

I believe morality is a social construct. Hunter-gatherers needed to live together and soon developed rules that would benefit the tribe. Don’t kill or steal or lie would benefit everyone. Religious rules were made to gain power and made everything worse. Actually everything in the ten commandments applied only to how Hebrews were to treat Hebrews and not to any other tribe. The Bible says it’s OK to kill, steal, lie to, take somebody else’s wife etc. as long as he’s an Amalekite or Midianite or somebody from any other tribe.

I follow the moral code that has been established by Western society over time especially since the enlightenment.

gearl Level 8 Oct 23, 2017

I personally follow logical thinking, moral correctness, and my personal political standards, no hippocrates.

i believe being a Moral person has Nothing to do with religion. It has more to do with Common sense. We all know what is right and wrong ...unless you are sociopath, who may lack a conscience to guide them..

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:35
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.