Agnostic.com

500 20

What moral code do you follow now that you are non-religious?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

500 comments (151 - 175)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

I wouldn't say I have a moral code, just a general sense of compassion.

People have problems, bad days, etc. and some handle it better than others. Until we all realize that we're all sharing the same planet and should maybe think about understanding that there are other people as well, with individual lives, with an entirely different point-of-view, we're going to get bothered by things that honestly don't matter in the end. You can't let other people decide how you greet life. You're the one that controls you, your actions, your words, and to a significant degree, your emotions. You can't control what you feel, but you can control for the most part how long you let it have an effect on your mood, what you say, and what you do.

Not really sure if that answers the question, but it's the best way I can describe my moral compass if not moral code.

What goes around comes around. A.K.A.Karma.

My moral code has never been influenced by that book of fiction. My code of conduct is, 1. Random acts of kindness no matter your race, color or religious delusion. 2. Honesty with tactfulness. 3. Trust until given reason not to. 4. I do what I say and say what I do. 5. Never compromise who I am and what I believe or DON'T believe.

Do as thou will harm none but smash your enemies so that they never return...

The golden rule fits for all of humanity. Being at peace is such a nice place.

I feel that first and foremost you should do no harm. You do not steal, kill, rape or torture. Basically so unto others as you would have them do unto you. Treat others worth the same dignity and respect that I would expect. You don't need religion to know what is right and what is wrong.

I try to be kind to people, animals and the environment.

What does religion have to do with morality, morality existed before religion.

Religion is like the scene with the cat in Red Dwarf walking through the ship spraying everything and saying "that's mine, that's mine, and that's mine" etc.
It diminishes the threadbare mythology if they allow themselves to believe that some things came to be before or independently of their chosen whatever.

The one dictated by common sense.

I don't follow any code.

My ethical system is based on classical liberal ideals expounded by Bentham, Mill, Locke, etc.

These ideals were taught to me many years ago by many, many teachers, friends and books.

worship your mother

raza Level 1 Nov 12, 2017

Does people need religion to now the difference between right and wrong? Common sense is all a person needs.

"Harm no one. Do as you will."

"Don't be a dick" generally works for me.

NOW that I"m non-religious? I've always been athiest. I tell people, "Your god may forgive. I don't and I have to live with me."

Truth
Honor
Justice
Divergent Thinking
Mercy
Enlightenment

be good to all.!

Gonzo Level 2 Nov 15, 2017

I follow the 13 Atheopagan Principles. [atheopaganism.wordpress.com]

Basically the golden rule, plus friends are not people who try to use friendship as a means of emotional blackmail, but rather people who are willing to forgive your mistakes and is somebody easy to talk to.

Mr_Dj Level 5 Nov 15, 2017

No need of any particular code.

I rely on the decency of good citizenship and being an altruistic humanitarian. To me, being a good person is upholding the civil liberties we enjoy as american citizens. "Do no harm" covers a lot.

Watch "DESIDERATA - You Are A Child Of The Universe - original version" on YouTube

Oh my. The MORAL CODE issue.
Right and wrong are truly, on a sub quantum level, arbitrary.
There is NO right or wrong..... There just is.
Now that we've gotten THAT out of the way, my code of behavior is to do WHATEVER I want to do whenever I WANT TO DO IT..... as long as it does not HARM another of my species....
Now lets discuss HARM.
My atheist 'beliefs 'are in fact HARMFUL to believers. It distresses them, upsets them, causes fear and anger.... Once again it's a 'subjective' call because conversely, RELIGION harms ALL of mankind, so, where do we draw the line.
Thou Shalt Not Kill (mistranslation, original text was MURDER). Is killing and murder the same thing? Why or why not??
So to answer this 'question' I say that there are basic, coded (like in the DNA) behaviors that we are predisposed to follow. Then we are nurtured into a community based society that imbeds us with other beliefs and codes of behavior.
And then, one day, we hear a great POPPING SOUND!!!! And our heads come out of our arses!!
We then realize that, in fact, "It Don't Mean Sh&t" (Mr. Natural, ZAP Comixs), and sit back in wonder and amazement at this brief one in a billion billion billion trillion chance that we are even here!!!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:35
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.