Agnostic.com

500 20

What moral code do you follow now that you are non-religious?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

500 comments (151 - 175)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Most of the comments seem to focus solely on human to human interaction. My morality include human behaviour towards their environment. I admire vegans.

This question contains the assumption that people with religious propensities use their religion as their moral compass. The original Mafia organisations were probably very much committed to some of the Catholic principals.

Christ's
Dian Fossey
Buddah
Hindu
Dr. Martin Luther King
Gandhi
Blessed are the peace makers for they shall obtain peace.

Our morals are evolutionary. Back in the day, wearing our bear skins and living in caves we soon learned that if we were obnoxious pricks, thieves or murderers we would be kicked out of the clan. We are pack animals and couldn't survive solo so we constantly checked that we were pulling our weight (notice we still compare ourselves with others). We learned altruism because we wanted people to be kind to us when we became sick or injured, others in turn would care for us.

I'd argue that during the long period of human prehistory, when we lived in small tightly-knit communities of between twenty and maybe fifty or so, the impulse to do wrong to others wouldn't have occured, other than - as studies of surviving groups of forest nomads have revealed - in the context of raids by other groups.

As defined by Wikipedia: Stoicism is predominantly a philosophy of personal ethics informed by its system of logic and its views on the natural world. According to its teachings, as social beings, the path to happiness for humans is found in accepting this moment as it presents itself, by not allowing ourselves to be controlled by our desire for pleasure or our fear of pain, by using our minds to understand the world around us and to do our part in nature's plan, and by working together and treating others fairly and justly.

The Stoics are especially known for teaching that "virtue is the only good" for human beings, and that external things—such as health, wealth, and pleasure—are not good or bad in themselves, but have value as "material for virtue to act upon". Alongside Aristotelian ethics, the Stoic tradition forms one of the major founding approaches to Western virtue ethics.[1] The Stoics also held that certain destructive emotions resulted from errors of judgment, and they believed people should aim to maintain a will (called prohairesis) that is "in accord with nature" (a phrase they interpreted to mean several different things). They thought the best indication of an individual's philosophy was not what a person said, but how a person behaved.[2] To live a good life, one had to understand the rules of the natural order since they taught everything was rooted in nature.

Empathy and kindness.
Those feelings should also apply to one's self, too.
Most other comments I read seem to boil down to that.
Empathy and kindness boil down to love.

I have a very simple moral code. Love myself.

If I love all the things and the people who help to enrich my life why would I want to hurt anyone?
If artist for example, enriched your life, why would you harm artist?. Would you not do everything in your power to keep them healthy and happy.. If you love people who can help you why would you not want them to reach their full potential. Ergo, you could benefit by their growth as well?

Yes I have a very simple moral code built on my own selfishness. Life for life sake. The human being is a social animal aware of his individuality and the best way to stroke his ego is to improve the whole of his social group, small and large, and hope that social safety net that socially support that protects and nourishes the individual is as strong and healthy as possible.

If Illusion knowledge enriches your life, would you harm it?

@TuyTran888 do you need Illusions to be happy? If your happiness is based on an illusion perhaps you aren't happy. Perhap you should spent your time and effort on trying to beome happy/ What's that stone song. "You can't always get what yyou want, but if you try sometime you may get what you need.

If you ever decide to seek and have real happiness then it will be you who will destroy the Illusion

@argome It is good that you acknowledge illusion is not good for anyone. There are a lot of people trying to enrich people life to be happy with illusion knowledge. If you just focus on happy, then how would you even tell which is illusion knowledge or not? What we need is knowledge so that we can distinct what is illusion or not. That is how we can be more happy.

I try to live life honestly, to myself and others, try to cause the least harm and most good in the bits of the world I interact with, and be the friend I'd like to have.

I tend to go with maxims or mottos a lot....
To thine own self be true, Live and let live, love others...

Generally, if I need to lie or be deceptive to achieve a goal, I don't pursue it.
and when I'm feeling macho... “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.” John Wayne. 🙂
Peace

I've followed that code sine I heard it on the "Shootist" has served me well

The same one as ever: Common Sense.

I follow the moral codes I learned from infancy, the sum of which is that I am here only for a very, very short time and that I am compelled to be a responsible custodian of the earth and to do as little harm as possible by my presence. To experience the moments fully and be open to the expression of verifialbe reason. I am a pacifist. That I may not change others, but that I can change and renew myself on the life paths I choose and to follow my heart. I don't know if that qulifies as a moral code or not.

Don't do stupid things, don't hurt others, make things better and just be decent and kind.

What's good for people, animals and the planet is good and moral. What's bad for people, animals and the planet is bad and immoral.

The “Golden Rule”, unless they don’t want to be treated how I want to be and it’s not unfair.

To paraphrase the golden rule (which might not apply to sexual morals) I like "if you don't like it, don't do it to anyone else>

I do the right thing because it's the right thing, not because of any imaginary reward I might get when I die and not to avoid getting punished in a nonexistent afterlife. As Gertrude Stein said "Dead is dead." I do like how Abe Lincoln put it: "When I do good I feel good. When I do bad I feel bad. That's my religion." Of course, atheism is not a religion but I still love the quote.

The Human Being moral code.

I follow the Gospel of Bill and Ted. Simple, yes, but it applies to just about any moral situation.

I do my best to follow the teachings of Marcus Aurelius and the other Stoics. To paraphrase Marcus: there is an endless void of time behind us, where we didn't exist, and an endless void of time ahead of us, where even those who have forgotten us will themselves be forgotten, so do good now!

Since I never was religious...now I follow the moral code I did all my life....the one dictated by common sense.

As far as how to "behave" I follow the Wiccan creed: If it harms no one, do as you want. Of course, be aware of the law! I'd rather not discuss my actions with the sheriff!

As far as how to treat others I try to follow the platinum rule: Treat others as they want to be treated. Which means that I need to find out how they want to be treated so I value openess and sharing of truths.

My own moral code

MORALITY CAN NEVER be learned from Religion, for from society. Instead one must learn this through FIRST-HAND experiences via TRIAL AND ERROR. Anything else is just hogwash designed to take away responsibility form yourself. My views mostly are similar to Existential thinking but not fully.

Seek perfection of character
Respect Others
Refrain from violent behavior

I was always non religious - I like the 'if it harm none do as you will' code - I practise kindness and am non apologetic about my anger which i see as a positive force for change - I was/am a Rogerian person centred therapist and that seems a kind way to be with others - not the theraping, but the underlying sense of being with someone, listening ,with warmth, congruence and empathy

Morals are part of child development. Morals need no religious guidance. One can follow the golden rule. I have had the same morals since I was religious as a girl. I think that logical thought and inner feelings guide my moral code.

1. Compassion
  2. Integrity
  3. Take positive action (including "do no harm" )
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:35
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.