Agnostic.com

500 20

What moral code do you follow now that you are non-religious?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

500 comments (176 - 200)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was thinking about something similar the other day. It seems to me that everyone has pretty much the same morality particular to a time and place, with just small differences, so I'll say Midwest 2017.

I still do not believe in Divorce unless it is in the event of child abuse or spousal abuse. I think you should know who you are marrying before you do it . Though I don't judge people for being divorced things sometimes don't work out and I get that.

I believe in respecting others even if I don't agree with them. Every one had the right to their own misconceptions. If the disagreement is deep enough it's time to cut ties and move on. You can be cordial and not be to friendly.

And I believe in the simplest of simple treat others how you want to be treated.

I would never have an abortion.. I believe firmly in birth control.

One of the biggest things that has changed since I took the major plunge is not to be a hyprocrite.
It's not ok to expect people to live up to your expectations if you don't and live by a separate code of ethics and morals.

Best example of this. (I expect my kids to be good decent law abiding citizens who. Never do anything wrong) all while the said parent looks for reasons why all the other parents are wrong for the way they raise their kids and do things like drink and drive and put their kids at risk. And In the same breath will tell you God will forgive them of their sins..

I left the church long ago- became a pagan because I likes the celebrations and I'm an open atheist where it comes to the idea of any god a man could explain. You don't need god to be moral. All you need is the ability to look at your own life and fix your shit first. Meaning before you point your fingers at my wrongs better fix yours.. I'm aware of all my wrongs. They are mine to make and I have no god to forgive me so I better be careful what I do- cause it's really hard to forgive myself

Not "now that". Never have been. Guess I follow "treat others how you want to be treated.
I find atheist to have a much better moral compass.

My belief for as long as I can remember, though first stated in the 90's, is that if your belief in an invisible friend is the only thing keeping you from doing something immoral, if you ever start to question that belief, I am more worried about what you will do now. My moral code is internalized, probably best stated by the Wiccan Rede (An it harm none, do what thou wilt) and a character in the Water Babies (Mrs. DoAsYouWouldBeDoneBy). I first put it into words when I was on UseNet, and someone actually said "If you don't believe in god, why don't your just go out and kill people". My code is based on me, period.

Always try to be fair.

Gray Level 3 Nov 18, 2017

I don't need moral codes. Instinct directs my behavior. It's the same way everyone gets through life, whether they admit it, or not.

You simply take whatever you want if you can without harm to yourself? Because THAT is instinct.

I'd say our moral compass comes from our DNA. We are social animals who can think in concepts, outside of our small selves and realize that together we are stronger.

[merriam-webster.com]

Erica.
I instinctively know how to treat other people. I don't need to make up "moral codes" to know what the right thing to do is.
I don't navigate life with a rule book, and I really don't think anyone else does either.

...and if I get to make up my own rules, then what difference does it make if I follow them?

"now that"??
I was never indoctrinated to any religion. I did, however, attend a Quaker school for 9 years as well as a couple of years of Quaker college. My dad was an atheist, my mother a recovering Catholic. I studied religions in high school.
The Quaker ideals make pretty good sense if you add an extra "o". There's a little bit of good in everyone, and the most meaningful thing you can do with your life is cultivate the good both in yourself and in others.

Treat others the way you wanna be treated. Be respectful to others and our planet even if it might be difficult. Think before you speak or do something. It's okay to get other opinions. Exercise your intrapersonal intelligence so you can have a strong intuition.

I just try not to be a dick to be fair.

The same one I followed when religious, love and empathy, care for the least of these, and always look behind the curtain or hassock question everything.

The moral compass that we all have from nature and nurture. Do unto others. Ne decent in all things.

No moral code needed. I use reason an logic to guide my actions.

It is really easy to know right from wrong so no code needed

I hold to universal ethics , plus natural law theory , as expounded by Hugo Grotius .

just be human and don't do to others what if done to you you wouldn't like.

The Hippocratic oath.

Wavy Level 2 Nov 23, 2017

I try to live fully, love wastefully, and be all I can be, as Jesus and others did. (John Shelby Spong, and Bart D. Ehrman)

I've learned in my life that religion isn't needed for a moral code, in fact religion is used to commit the worst deeds in human history. So i live my life with love as my religion.

I try to live by the Golden Rule. That seems to be the philosophy of living that makes the most sense to me. Treat all others fairly.

harm none other, unless they try to harm me first. afford my respect; the only people who have to earn it are those who've lost it. help when i can...anonymously. that pretty much is it.

Realize that I only truly matter as part of larger wholes. Therefore I try to not only do right by myself but also for others and the world around me. Maybe my actions can positively effect future generations.

I developed my own moral code. Total respect for peoples lives.

Gabi Level 2 Nov 24, 2017

I use a kind heart as a compass. Works for me. Most of the time anyway. Lol.

Help where I can, learn all I can, and do no harm.

I ascribe to a patchwork or morals and ethics to guide my life. The basis of all major faiths is a set or morals. Legal systems and governments also contain similar sets of beliefs on behavior. Those are my sources for the material for my quilt. The quilt will never be complete because the pattern changes as I continue to learn and grow as a person and alter its make up.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:35
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.