Agnostic.com

500 20

What moral code do you follow now that you are non-religious?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

500 comments (176 - 200)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I make a point of never eating Christian babies on Friday.

Yay, meatless fridays! LOL

The Golden Rule. Do unto others as you would want done unto you.

Its got a biblical backing so they can't argue about it, and its just seems like the best ting to do.

The same as anyone. Be decent to difficult people. Care about everyone. See even the harsh as damaged people. Leave them be or try to compromise if it's needed. Stand up to unfairness. Try to see everyone with love or at least tolerance, depending on the need. Stand up to unfairness and protect the vulnerable is the main moral code.

I try to just follow the old " Do unto others..."This is universal through all religions. But I truly do try to live my life this way and always think of how my actions will effect others.

I see a lot of people on here talking about 'do unto others as you would have them do to you' and while that's a nice idea, I'm not an idealist.
I won't do something that hurts someone else for little to no gain to myself or others and that's about the only moral code I have. Don't be needlessly cruel.
If there is a gain for myself and others I care about then I weight that against my priorities in life, my loyalties to various people, and the risks involved. Is hurting anyone ever morally right? Probably not, but I don't really care about that. It depends on the situation at hand.
I will point out that I will always choose the way that doesn't hurt other people if at all possible, but for example, if I've told someone politely to leave me or a family member alone several times and they won't do it then I will verbally tear them apart and if that doesn't work I consider violence to be justified response.
As others do to me I will do to them, IF my priorities, loyalties, or the risks involved don't make that impossible.

A better one than the one I was raised with. everyone matters

Kodi Level 4 Jan 27, 2018

The same one I followed when I was sort of religious: help people when you can, how you can, don't be a bitch, take care of your own stuff and don't screw anyone over while doing it -- basically, my life motto is 'My right to swing my fist ends where your nose begins.' I'm gonna do my thing...you do your thing, and, as long as 'our thing' doesn't involve hurting someone or unintentionally impeding someone from their own pursuit of happiness -- go forth, you do you.

I've always had the same moral code.

Mind my own business and never intentionally hurt another being. If you hurt someone, apologize.

The same one I always have ..it's wrong to murder, rape and steal..that works for me..soo yup stand by it!

I have not been religious for most of my life and most of the religious involvement I have had was due to coercion. I don't buy the argument that morality comes from religion. I have read the entire King James Bible. The concepts of slavery, genocide, rape, child murder, and incest are all supported in the bible. The problem with religion is that people use it to justify what ever antisocial activity that they want to commit.

The morality of doing what's right and best for me and mine and also for the community. The morality of care and altruism--and justice. People know how to get along without threats of damnation/reward.

1. I treat others the way I want to be treated, until they don't ... and I remove myself from the relationship;
  2. Do no harm; when it's inevitable, do more good than harm;
  3. Try to leave this world a better place.

I've made it a practice since the first time I was asked about the source of my personal morality, as an adolescent (!), to make sure each night before going to sleep I evaluate the day and measure my actions. As long as I can honestly say that my actions were more positive than negative, I'm good with myself ... regardless of what others may think. This self accountability has served me well so far.

I am not, nor have I ever been religious. as a mature, responsible & considerate human being I trust my sense of fairness & empathy, & how I would like my experience with other beings to turn out - & to turn me on. I live my life as free & relaxed as possible without harming other, & without risking harm to my self. I take responsibility for my experience without living by any code; I rather take one moment at a time. it's as simple & difficult as that.

This question infers that religion is the prime source for setting morals. and how will you replace this if you are devoid of this assistance ? Firstly, religions have over thousands of years been responsible for some of the most heinous crimes of death, torture and destruction ever carried out ...This hardly makes them suitable candidates for setting moral codes. [ crusades, Spanish inquisition, child abuse by priests, witch hunts and torture by the Catholic church. ] No, I can do quite well without them thank you.!!!

Moral codes are a more social thing than they are tied to any specific religion, regardless of what certain religions might teach. I've always been somewhat empathic and caring how my actions or words might affect others. That has always been forefront with me. That is my moral compass. Most people who have even a little of logical thinking skills can line up how certain actions can harm others and how you might feel if certain things were directed back at you. Why cause what you don't want on yourself? Why is that such a hard thing to grasp regardless of religion or lack thereof?

AmyLF Level 7 Jan 19, 2018

(I have never been religious)

1. If it harms no-one, follow your inclinations.

2. Cherish every freedom that comes your way.

3. Lovingkindnessing with no regrets.

4. Treat others with respect until they disrespect you - then let them go their own way

I go with a basically utilitarian sort of ethics-maximize the good in the world and minimize the bad to the best of our ability, combined with a good dose of the Golden Rule.

Since when has religion been necessary to establish good behaviour ??

Everybody has been born with a conscience.and some religious churches,have been and still are responsible for some of the worst atrocities ever carried out.so don't tell me you need religion as a guide.................Do you remember the heretic hunting parties ???

The same code I had before. Honesty, integrity, empathy, helping those who are not as lucky/privileged as I am. These have nothing to do with a deity.

Be nice.

Jnei Level 8 Jan 7, 2018

Why would you have a different moral code from any other law abiding person? Listen, being good and doing good works in our society. We understand this. Being religious or non religious has nothing to do with it. There are probably just as many amoral people who are professed Christians as who are Atheists.

PEGUS Level 5 Jan 4, 2018

I too am a live and let live person.I don't believe in knowingly harming anyone--self-defense excluded.

I like the platinum rule: treat others as they want to be treated.

Treat others how you want to be treated. I wouldn't want to be murdered or robbed, so I don't do those things.. Lol.

My moral code is - don't be a jerk! I try to be kind, not because I hope to go to "heaven" but because I respect myself more when I am not acting like a creep.

SKH78 Level 8 Dec 26, 2017
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:35
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.