Agnostic.com

500 20

What moral code do you follow now that you are non-religious?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

500 comments (201 - 225)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I follow the moral code of the old Germanian tribes. It is not black and white like xfinity, but covers all the gray areas that life gives us. I can go into more detail if anyone is interested.

I am interested; if you can recommend anything I could read, thanks.

I'm a Humanist.

Believe in myself. I am the master of my universe. What happens after my life is over is what happens. The speculation can be fun and bring forth interesting conversation but when it becomes a basis of how to live your life out of fear then we have a problem.

Treat people as you wish to be treated, simple as that. Always try to put yourself in another person's shoes, try to understand how you would feel if you were in their position and act accordingly. I do what I naturally believe is right and in most cases, I do the right thing, which is weird considering I'm a black sheep in my family. Empathy gives us all we need to set up our own personal moral codes and we certainly don't need a non existent being to tell us how to live, especially when that being is not fo this world or our circumstance.

I am a consequentialist. That means that I believe actions are good insofar as they increase the wellbeing of conscious creatures. The capacity to feel pain and pleasure are the defining qualities of a conscious creature. So, actions that make people worse off are bad, actions that make people better off are good. Things that make dogs worse off are also bad.

I think it's really quite simple.

Yes, the golden rule. It's actually based on pure subjectivity. Honestly, consider how you would like to be treated, and treat others accordingly.

There's no such thing as objective morality, anyway. Objectivity is the worst kind of morality. Objectivity doesn't care about anything and has no biases for or against any actions. Objective (uncaring, unbiased) morality amounts to amorality.

As a rule, I try not to cause harm. Except for spiders... Somehow I feel they deserve squishing because they're so dang scary.

I find spiders creepy, too, but they do a hell of a lot more good for us than bad, so don't squish too many. Without them we'd be overrun by insects, and they are unlikely to bite much larger critters like ourselves, preferring to flee if at all possible.

My then 10 year old son claimed the proof for God was that spiders can't fly. It's as convincing an argument as any.

"I shall seek enlightenment for the sake of all living things." - Gatauma Siddartha. And try to live a life of Loving Kindness.

I continue to be kind to others, help where I can, and avoid hurting feeling as well as bodies. How else?

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Pretty simple really.

It gets complicated by the incredibly wide variety of "others", who have many different needs, problems, understandings, life conditions etc. For instance, some people are masochistic (extreme example) so should they hurt others? But there are many finer shades of difficulty and paradox if you think about it. But I think that the statement is basically in the right direction.

If we all did this we wouldn't have masochists.

I developed my own code, I call it secular humanism. It's nothing extraordinary. Is a set of rules that are taken from religious writings, from philosophy, from ideologies, my own experience and novels like Crime and Punishment, J'accuse, and a few hundred other books. We are not born with a blank slate. We are the same but we are also different.

Gabi Level 2 Nov 27, 2017

all ways treat people respect and try to be there for friends and make new friends every day

My moral code consists of two principles. (6 words total) (1,) Never compromise yourself. (2.) No ego satisfaction.

Interesting, Tommy. I like the never compromise yourself, but I'm a little bemused by the (2). I'm not sure I know what an ego is, or what you specifically mean by it.

EGO; The self regarded as acting independent of causes and conditions.

No ego satisfactions. Never exalt yourself and vent your emotions to inflate your mind or magnify your pride against life.

I know the right from wrong. It’s a natural instinct . Every body knows by birth. I do wrong but I do not have a imaginary god who I can go for forgiveness. I take responsibility of my own wrong doing and learn.

I don't need religion to tell me how to act responsibly and basically one has to try to help others where possible. Be a kind person and treat all others with dignity even if they rub you up the wrong way.

I use the Golden Rule also. The thought that people are morally better because they follow a specific belief system is utter nonsense. History is littered with examples of unspeakable atrocities carried out in the name of ((ENTER YOUR FAVORITE DEITY HERE)), or have we as a species forgotten the Spanish Inquisition, the Crusades, etc.?

Don't do to others what you wouldn't want done to you . Help those in need , some times just kind words and a smile . Avoid hate when I can although the current political climate makes that difficult at times .

My code is to not cause willful harm either emotional or physical. If I do I accept responsibility for it. By either correcting it, apologizing for it if it was unintentional. Forgiveness from a person goes along way with me. Rather then one from an imaginary being. There is no real accountability for that kind of forgiveness.

I think I'm a social animal and it seems morality for me consists in doing only things you can live with doing, things you wouldn't condemn someone else for doing; but many things are debatable. Sometimes you have to or want to do things that violate a social code you've lived with and it can be difficult to gauge whether your reason for doing it supersedes whatever constraints you feel.

I believe in Good. What I think is good... My Moral Compass is Far from Perfect but I reckon is a work in progress until my end.

Anarchist, the true kind. I do what I do as I believe it right, law is not relevant

just be yourself!

Treat others as you want to be treated

Protect the weak and innocent

Love freely and generously

I like to think of myself as a mirror, I reflect back whatever people give me.

The basic moral code for me is
Do the least amount of harm(emotional, physical or mental) to others and yourself.
Not the most nuanced of code but it works for me

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:35
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.