Agnostic.com

7 1

Has anyone ever forced their belief on you?

Admin 8 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Just broke up with my fiancé because after years of being together, and out of the blue, she demands that if we're to get married, I must attend church with her.

My parents did... up until I was an adult.

Others have tried, and over tiem i have gotten better at discouraging them.

Being drafted into the military in '66, I refused to identify with any religion. Even had Atheist listed on my dog-tags. The persecution by all the religious members, just short of court marshal was incredible. But I keep true to my non-belief. And this was before and during serving in Vietnam. But they claimed I wasn't a true American!

They have tried for 77 years. I can handle it. It's when they try to influence my young children and grandchildren that I truly get upset.

I was exorcised in my late teens so I guess that counts. My local school tried to force its beliefs (creationism!) on local kids until I intervened and ran them out of town.

Draco Level 6 Sep 23, 2017

throughout my 62 years there have been so many, countless discussions but all of them friendly and civil, no personal attacks because I keep reminding them that nobody wins an argument and we don't want to lose or destroy our frienship just because of differences in religious beliefs. What matters to us most is how to live right and meaningful.

Growing up in the midst of priests, ministers, theologians, and seriously upright, religious, decent and righteous persons it's not surprising. But sometimes we would want to get crazy, debate and argue, use forceful, powerful and vulgar language while we are drunk and intoxicated, they lunge and I parry and we always end up laughing among ourselves. Quite fun even if we all end up scratching our heads as to how to pay the bill.

I also have friends who are gutter dwellers and many more in the slum areas of Metro Manila and I try to find time to visit them (when I have some stuff to give) and listen to their religious sentiments and I'm always amazed at these people who live under the worst conditions and still can afford to give you a smile.
They are happy despite everything because they believe that they are God's children. I never question their beliefs nor ask why their god keep them in their miserable conditions.

Yes, I was force fed various religions as a kid, but not as an adult.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:36
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.