Agnostic.com

317 11

Do you ever miss the religious life?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

317 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No but I do sometimes miss something to believe in at times.

how about believing in yourself?

No not really

Nope because that was not fear

JOY Level 2 Sep 14, 2017

Oh yes. there was a difficulty but assurance in religion. Although i miss the community and comrodery in religious Groups, i care too much about what i really believe is true to turn around and go back into it. Funny enough i have tried to change my mind and be religious again, but i reason myself out of it and Become frustrated if I try to keep that mindset. I just simply can't believe it after putting in the effort to research the facts myself.

I understand the difficulty. The community and camaraderie was the best part for me.

I miss having friends except those friends were never dependable or trustworthy so not even that. i sure don't miss all the other stupid stuff.

Sometimes miss being able to talk about God with another religious person, because it's something to easily connect on with a lot of people. And even though I am very tolerant of religion and faith, I feel if I voice my opinion on a date or something it closes a lot of doors.

I've said the same to myself, "closes a lot of doors." Challenging yes; however, it can open other doors as well.

No, except for the built in community of support.....unless you do something deemed unholy of course.

Zebra Level 1 Sep 15, 2017

I don't see anything wrong in extending community and humanitarian support thru a religious group, it's a good social circle even if you don't believe in their faith. Giving help to others is beyond religion

I understand, and some won't associate with you unless you're associated with their belief system, rituals, and/or 'church'.

Cannot miss something I never had.

Yes, actually, it was so much easier when I thought there was someone there to help me, I live alone been seperated and then divorced for 4 years, it gets hard sometimes

I can relate. I tell myself, it offers a new and different opportunity for growth and socialization; just beyond my comfort zone. Definitely hard, but possible 🙂

I rarely do. I did when I was first shunned by the congregation (Mennonite) It was all I knew. As I grew, I discovered a brand new world. Freedom to be me. Not being controlled and threatened with eternal damnation. Discovering people who I was told to avoid were actually the most beautiful people in the world.

Not at all. I have abandoned all religious groups that I tried to belong to but I never cut my friendly relationships with the people I met/got acquainted in those groups so long as they remain sincere and give me the respect that I deserve

Nope.

Draco Level 6 Sep 23, 2017

I want the sense of community that comes with church membership.

No, but I miss some of the camaraderie.

Hell no!

of course not

tonia Level 5 Sep 25, 2017

The only thing I miss is the sense of community.
I enjoyed camping trips with the youth group when I was growing up, some of my best memories.

Not one bit!

I thought it would be nice to give Christianity another try as an adult, I found the promise of community appealing, so in my mid-20s, I started going to church for a while. But it didn't stick. The same old doubts I had before came back, and I found their lack of belief in science and the hypocrisy that exists within religion intolerable. I'm more of an atheist now than I was before that brief period I spent in church.

I was raised mormon, and within the mormon church there's a really string sense of community. I grew up in that sort of environment so a lot of the time i do miss the sense on community.

I don't care for the momron church at all, I think it's a terrible institution so it's not like I'm contemplating going back or anything, but that's the aspect of the church i miss.

Not at all.I only miss the social aspect but i solved it by engaging with those who valued my friendship.

Maad Level 1 Sep 28, 2017

Until about five years ago I would have said community. but since then I realized there are many different ways a creating a community then just going to church. I'm a gamer mostly board games as in Dungeons & Dragons, starfinder and Firefly. there is a game store near me that has a lot of events. so I just started going and I made a lot of friends. we hang out a lot outside of the store now. I've helped a couple with moving and one of my friends even help me when things were going bad with my mom's health. So to answer the question, no! there's nothing I miss.

No. When I was a kid, I only went to church or was involved because I had no choice. I went to Catholic middle and high school only because that's where my friends from elementary went. Even as an adult, before coming out as agnostic, I rarely went to church and when I did it was because my family asked me to go on holidays. I've never had a relationship with church so there was nothing to miss for me about religion.

No

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:37
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.