Agnostic.com

317 11

Do you ever miss the religious life?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

317 comments (226 - 250)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I miss the fellowship, especially when you live far away from where you grow up. It is a way to make friends in real life in your local community. For better or worse, in many places it is a major part of the social fabric.

I am the same person I was when I believed, just a little smarter. I don't miss anything about it. I think I was always atheist but growing up in a sheltered tiny town, I didn't even know that you could question it. I remember listening to pastors give their sermon and thinking "this is full of holes".

I miss the music more than anything else. I also miss the community, which is why I've considered re-joining a Unitarian Universalist congregation or getting involved with Sunday Assembly.

I absolutely do not miss the misogyny and anti-intellectualism of the churches of my childhood.

I have occasionally thought that it would be easier in almost every way to be a believer - fitting in more (I live in the Bible Belt), having those automatic social connections, etc. It would make my family amazingly happy if I reconverted. But I just cannot do it. It's too hypocritical.

Just the music which can be very pleasant to listen to.

Nope. All that sit down, stand up, kneel, sit, kneel, stand up and sad music and seriousness had to go.

Sad music. I love it. Lol.

Absolutely not. However, I do miss community solidarity and camaraderie.

You may enjoy something like Sunday Assembly, which is like a 'church' for non-believers.

Never had one to miss.

Never was religious. ...always was an outsider studying believers inside their churches. ...like going to a neighbors house for the 1st time and there after. ...always asking how a guest should behave. ...reading signs on the walls

No

As we get older, my wife and I have been mildly attracted to the sense of community that is promised by church and quasi-church-like groups such as the post-Christian, atheist-accepting Unitarian-Universalists. But we keep running aground on the cliquish aspects of UU, its substitution of political dogma for religious dogma. We actually found an Episcopalean congregation more comfortable and broadly inclusive, but could not endure their 90 minute liturgical extravaganzas. Religious cruft is cruft, even when it's not dogmatic. I don't know what us two introverts are going to do long-term but it's probably not going to involve even liberal religion. In any case, it's my evolving view that liberal Christians are complicit with fundamentalists in not sufficiently calling them out for their perfidy.

Not really, when looking back on it , it was filled with individuals who based the relationship solely on me being a church member and not who I was as a person ..almost likr being a part of a work group ot business

Being religious was an easy way to feel superior to everyone else without justification or having to put in any effort to improve myself. But I don't miss it. I may not have that undeserved sense of being better than everyone else, but I'm more satisfied with who I am (I think I'm more understanding, generally kinder, less judgmental, etc.). I don't know that I'm any happier, but I don't think I'm more depressed either (at least not because of my change in worldview).

Hell to the no!

Hell no.

I do, I miss the singing and the friendships.

gater Level 7 Mar 13, 2018

make new friendships - all you got to do is grab em by the pussy!

There is something about the traditions of the Jewish religion that I miss, like the davening in Temple, the flow of the reading of the Torah and Haftorah. I do miss the celebration of Passover when family would get together for our annual supper.

I wanted to be a cantor as a kid, so at one point religion was important to me. But I recently went to a friend's kid bar mitzvah and had a hard time with the religious aspect of the occasion. As atheists we do not have a celebration of becoming and adult, no bar mitzvahs, no communions, no walk abouts. We do not celebrate the coming of age when our kids turn 13, 18 or 21. I miss those traditions.

I can see that. I'm an atheist but I love going around the medieval churches of Europe and I'm also interested in devotional music. Remember this - you don't HAVE to throw out baby with the bathwater 🙂

yes traditions. as a former christian i kinda miss christmas. i'd taught my son that christmas means christ's birthday. he's 31 and also atheist. when he asks what i want for christmas, i respond by telling him what i want for a winter gift. not the same. and NO TREE! what?

I don't miss it in the slightest. I love being open minded.

I miss the networing you can do in church. I've been offered jobs just because I go to the same church as the guy that's doing the hiring. Church is heaven for the machiavellian.

No, I don't miss it. Becoming an atheist has freed up alot of time and money for me. I know I have said this in many comments. I truly wish I became an atheist earlier life. Like at 19, 25, or 30.

No, no, 1000 times no! Went to church Sunday morning, night n Wednesday night. My folks were hypocrites. When I was 38, I realized, I don't have to do this anymore! I fired my parents!!! Best decision ever!!

No, no, 1000 times no! Went to church Sunday morning, night n Wednesday night. My folks were hypocrites. When I was 38, I realized, I don't have to do this anymore! I fired my parents!!! Best decision ever!!

Not in the least!

Uncas Level 4 Apr 1, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:37
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.