Agnostic.com

317 11

Do you ever miss the religious life?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

317 comments (226 - 250)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I joined a Unitarian Universalist Church that is primarily secular. I don’t believe in religion, but I do find it culturally interesting and enjoy the philosophical discussions we have. So I get the church community without the preaching. The freethinkers group by me has members who are vocally anti-church and get judge about my attending. Contrary to the people at my church, I find that group to be not just judgmental, but also pretentious, snobby and more “holier (atheister?) than thou” than most religious people I know. It leaves a bad taste. I do miss the trappings of Catholicism. The incense, the music, the stained glass, the candles. Even miss the communion wafer and that false sense of security I had as a kid. I have substituted the confessional with a therapist’s office and I’m okay with where I’m at now.

Do you miss root canal?

No

I kinda like the pomp and circumstance, the costumes, and the music. Not the modern drivel with big video screens and guitars, but William Byrd's Mass for four voices, or Faure's Requiem.

I don't miss it. I don't miss having 6 days a week spoken for by commitments. I don't miss having to be someplace on Wednesday evenings. I havn't done these things in my adult life, but there is very little nostalgia or charm from having that in my youth. I felt like a fish out of water even when I believed. I felt like an anthropologist studying strange customs. I still feel like that when I attend weddings or funerals in church. I admit it creeps me out a little bit.

jmott Level 3 Dec 24, 2017

Never.

JayJ Level 1 Dec 24, 2017

I actually found some parts of liturgical worship to be a form of meditation that had some positive aspects. But, the same benefits are available without the attendant dogma.

Absolutely not! It always made me uncomfortable, and I was raised Catholic.

The incense at a high holy mass - that's it.

No. It won't go away. It keeps bitin me in the a double s. My earliest memory was of sitting beside my Mother in church. But it got kind of boring, so I stood up and started running up and down the pew. But apparently that wasn't allowed, Mama got ahold of me and said, you sit right down here and be quiet. Boy, was that boring. Then I noticed that my lil benis was sticking straight up, so I started to give that some attention. But apparently that wasn't allowed either, cause Mama took ahold of both my arms and physically restrained me. And that is why I became an atheist. Ha ha ha. Nah, just kiddin, I got saved from a life of religious foolishness by a hellfire and damnation Baptist preacher. The sum-b was gonna throw me in a lake of fire. So if I don't believe in that stuff, then God won't throw me down there to the devil, cause I'm stupid. If u r stupid u get a pass for being bad. No, I am not drinking. I am cold sober.

I only miss thinking that I was special or better than other people. Being chosen for some great thing. Also having someone planning everything out for me. all things were going to work out no matter what.

I never had one, so I will never miss it.

When I was younger and was forced to go to church, I would always dream about all the things I could be doing now. When on a Sunday my mother asked why I had not cleaned my room, I suggested I could have done it instead of church...
I do not miss the pointless conversations, the judging and the submissiveness of the audience. All too much.

No, but sometimes I envy people with such conviction about eternal life and such it would be so much easier to not think sometimes. 🙂

I’ve never been religious, and when I’m confronted with it, I just think... “shit, not again”!

I enjoy everything in life. Sharing a religious service is a social event.

lecoq Level 4 Dec 19, 2017

not even a little bit. religion was like a shackle around my neck and I will never put it back on

I miss the uninhibited sex breaks.

I sometimes remember the 'Brainwash-Buzz/Aura-type' of sensations from those days of unwarranted-belief, but I wouldn't want to go back to that crap at all-!

It's a nice feeling to have a sense of community with like-people but even among the like-people there was so much contention and animosity that it was usually quite uncomfortable. I used to miss a good social life but found that even if I socialize with different groups in my community it always comes around to Christian or religious discussions so now I'm happy to live alone and have my doggie companions.

no ,because saw thurth

Not at all. I was forced into youth group, and I always fell asleep during service. You think I wanted to get up on Sunday to go to mass, when I could have slept in?

I really have nothing to miss. Religion ceased being important here a long time ago. Naturally, i seldom ever went in a church and most people here do not either.

I miss the sex. Friday confessional with father O'Flarety. Sweet memories. Sorry, I couldn't resist. Hope no one is offended.

If so I can here your confession Friday. Or my confession whatever. My grandparents were Church of God, what do I know about confession ?

I miss singing in the choir (not that I was particularly good at it). I like good quality Anglican church music (none of your Hillsong rubbish!) Prayers and sermons have always bored me to death.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:37
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.