Agnostic.com

317 11

Do you ever miss the religious life?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

317 comments (276 - 300)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Nope.

Yes, in a way. I was raised in Seventh Day Adventism, with potlucks and hikes and all-day Saturday worship activities, and a rather active religion-based social life, and of course atheists don't have a church or community center that maintains such regular weekly activity schedules I could tap into. I live in a town where few people even have a 4-yr college degree, let alone graduate school or college level science education, and I am atheist, so I have not yet met anyone here with whom I have much in common. If I had stayed in the church, I would have an active social set, and all the socioeconomic survival net that the church provides its members, and might even meet compatible men to date (not a priority any longer, but probably in part because I have not met any reasonable potential partners in years). I don't miss the religion, but we atheists really do need to do better at developing a social network that fulfills the social needs churches fulfill so well for their members.

Was never really religious, but I've been to many a sunday service, and I gotta tell ya, its really not all that terrible. At least for the non-denominational church I frequented with my christian buddies. Free coffee and people I generally like.

I do miss that on occasion, but I never miss the actual sermons and stuff.

Derek Level 2 Oct 2, 2017

Nope, not at All????

I've never been religious. It's smelled like bullshit to me, all of my life...

Sometimes I miss the sense of community there can be. People had no problem welcoming fellow parishioners into their homes and making them dinner. But at the same time, I don’t miss the looks I got because I did’t fit in their mold of what was “good” and “holy” for what a girl should do/say/act, who I should love and fall in love with. Mostly I miss that connection I had with my parents, but I don’t agree with their beliefs anymore.

Not at all. When I was involved in religion I felt fraudulent and it also felt like other people were being fake as well. I mean, you kind of have to be to keep up appearances right? It's a big show every Sunday where people try to out-dress one another and there are a lot of fake smiles. I went to a church where people seemed to only catch the holy ghost whenever the drums kicked up. Now I feel like I can relax and be myself and not worry about all of that. I feel free to be honest.

GregC Level 2 Oct 1, 2017

Quite the opposite, I regret ever having experienced it. If I could go back in time, I'd prep my younger self with the necessary skills and ways of thinking to never have to put up with that magical bullshit.

Never.

Sometimes I miss the religious life, I guess it's that human desire to belong. Just having someone to share your deepest thoughts with, without being judged. BUT I would much rather be alone than to just go along and YES it can be quite lonely.

Can't say that I miss it. But I still enjoy getting a good laugh from it once in a while.

I don't miss the life, but I sometimes miss the interactions. WHich is why I joined this group.

I also miss the community . It is sometimes lonely when you stand up for what you believe. It is worse to be a hypocrite.

I miss the close groups of people at times. Humans are pack animals, so there is that aspect. I do not miss the social control mechanisms that religion tries to burden upon the followers. Rather like the entire stand for the flag thing going on in America. I respect the military members, I work in Law Enforcement, yet, it is their first amendment right to kneel if they so choose. Needless to say I just keep my comments to myself.

Not at all, although I enjoy the acoustics, architecture, and the historical sense of a large, old church or cathedral. I recently had the pleasure of hearing Vivaldi performed in a church in Venice. The experience could not be matched in a regular concert hall.

When I was still a teenage atheist, and thus living with my still-Christian parents, I tried out a few other neighborhood churches, including one where the pastors are trained to lead 4-part choral singing, and the congregation sang all their hymns in 4 parts (mind-blowing concept in the church I was raised in). I was atheist for sure by then, but I still loved the singing. I joined a church choir in grad school too for a while, one run by a choral conductor I knew, because under his direction the choir was taking on some of the more difficult choral pieces with a weekly audience and a church building with great acoustics to perform in every week. The religion was annoying, but the music was fun.

No,not at all.

not at all. i have found my post belief life to be so much more fulfilling and enjoyable. I can now be open to learning about science without some type of mental restrictions. Evolution, astronomy - all things i can enjoy learning about without the lens of mythology.

No

No. When I was a kid, I only went to church or was involved because I had no choice. I went to Catholic middle and high school only because that's where my friends from elementary went. Even as an adult, before coming out as agnostic, I rarely went to church and when I did it was because my family asked me to go on holidays. I've never had a relationship with church so there was nothing to miss for me about religion.

Until about five years ago I would have said community. but since then I realized there are many different ways a creating a community then just going to church. I'm a gamer mostly board games as in Dungeons & Dragons, starfinder and Firefly. there is a game store near me that has a lot of events. so I just started going and I made a lot of friends. we hang out a lot outside of the store now. I've helped a couple with moving and one of my friends even help me when things were going bad with my mom's health. So to answer the question, no! there's nothing I miss.

Not at all.I only miss the social aspect but i solved it by engaging with those who valued my friendship.

Maad Level 1 Sep 28, 2017

I was raised mormon, and within the mormon church there's a really string sense of community. I grew up in that sort of environment so a lot of the time i do miss the sense on community.

I don't care for the momron church at all, I think it's a terrible institution so it's not like I'm contemplating going back or anything, but that's the aspect of the church i miss.

I thought it would be nice to give Christianity another try as an adult, I found the promise of community appealing, so in my mid-20s, I started going to church for a while. But it didn't stick. The same old doubts I had before came back, and I found their lack of belief in science and the hypocrisy that exists within religion intolerable. I'm more of an atheist now than I was before that brief period I spent in church.

Not one bit!

The only thing I miss is the sense of community.
I enjoyed camping trips with the youth group when I was growing up, some of my best memories.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:37
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.