Agnostic.com

317 11

Do you ever miss the religious life?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

317 comments (201 - 225)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I love being free of all the rubbish associated with religion and hipocrasy.

Gonzo Level 2 Nov 15, 2017

I like football on Sundays.

Religions have group activities which can be very enjoyable: celebrations eg Christmas. They also provide a sense of order and comfort in the predictability of the annual calendar of events in the religion.

Not at all.....The last time I even went to a church it was-I admit-only because it was on a first date with a stunningly beautiful lab tech at the hospital I worked at...It was Pentecostal and believe me I really suffered for my evil agenda that day-lol......But I just couldnt stand it and never had a second date with her.....It simply made me nauseous.....I am in one of the dating sites in the net and my profile says I don't want to hear from anyone who is in a organized religion..

I miss not having to decide things for myself. I miss having the Catholic Catechism to turn to whenever I had a doubt or a question that scared me; even if the answers weren't satisfactory, I was used to talking myself into them. In the long run, it's more rewarding to think for yourself. I do miss how easy it could feel, though.

I miss the church I was raised in. It was perfect for me. It was very physiological. It did not tell you what you had to believe in. The sermons were about life and how you lived it. It actually was very helpful to me when my parents went through their divorce and put me in the middle It probably is why I don't believe in formal religion. My husband is Catholic and I never could get into the masses that he attends. I tried to attend for the holidays and eventually stopped going when my daughter grew up and didn't want to become Catholic herself. I absolutely miss the music. I loved singing in the choir. I have thought about joining a church just to sing but that would be hypocritical and we have enough of that in this world.

I love the fellowship of church. That level of fellowship is hard to recreate outside of church, I just don't like the religious part.

I don't have to. If I attend a service or a function, however rare they are, I go for the fellowship and nothing more. They all know this and still tell me they love me.

Whats to miss constantly being told an invisible man in the sky judges my every move and even my thoughts um no thank you

No never had it.

I have never missed sitting on a bench with a bunch of morons, listening to some dimwit talking down to me.

Wonderfully so!

I rarely attended church. I do not miss church.

Not even a little.

The social part... I miss that. And the community support when things got tough. I suspect that is why there aren't more "defectors".

never

I do not miss religious life at all (even though I was once a well schooled christian minister). I dislike the us and them attitude of the religious people I was around. Because I am a curious, questioning, and mentally restless sort of person I do not fit in with religions that think they have the answers. I am happier, much happier, not being part of any religious life. If I want friends I can find more honesty in a pub, or park or the beach than I can at any church related event.

No, not group worship. I went to Catholic schools and was forced to attend church like 3 times a week. And then there is the hypocrisy of people sitting in the front row and being not so good of a person. I have my own religion inside myself. My Bible is The Golden Rule, Treat Others and you want to be treated yourself.

I miss the sense of community and belonging that I had there. I feel more insecure now about how people will respond to me or embrace me, but at the same time the significant relationships I do have feel much more authentic and meaningful.

Absolutely not.

Never and I don't miss the hypocrisy of it. A lot of religious people are such phonies which is probably one of the reasons I am so turned off by it.

I’ve never been religious. I was born non-religious and still am.

Loren Level 2 Oct 28, 2017

I wish I had been born non-religious, you are so fortunate.

For most parts of religious life there is nothing to miss. However from the social side of life it had some great times. I am an ex SDA and we had lovely after church lunch times with fellow believers. Some church music is quite good and some Gospel songs can be very uplifting just from the point of music. Words in the songs mean not much most of the time just like pop songs do not either. The collapse of friendships due to leaving the church and liberation from biblical dogma did leave some emptiness inside and in social life. But nothing is better than freedom.

Assuming the question means the 'Religious life' for a believer, and not simply having a reverential attitude toward nature and life itself -- NEVER had it to lose - fortunately.

Pedro Level 3 Oct 28, 2017
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:37
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.