Agnostic.com

317 11

Do you ever miss the religious life?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

317 comments (201 - 225)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Nope

No. I am much happier. I just don't think there is anything there.

Nope!

I have very good friends in church. I still love them. I've been growing away from the need of church for a long time, so I don't miss that. But I would love to keep doing things with my close friends.

Hell no! I can live in harmony now without needing to worry about everybody I care about not living just right and burning in Hell forever. Or having to please some god, who refuse to do anything major to prove he’s actually real.

I was a college educated Pastor. I found that the leadership was adversarial, hypocritical, manipulative, liars, and even predatory. They remind me of the politicians. Many of the people albeit misguided were genuinely good folk. Needless to say after the third church I lost my faith, and after many years I like some, miss the community. But make no mistake with what I write; I could not bring myself to walk through a church door! I just do my best to be a good neighbor. I just joined this site and I think I have found a new community🙂

I still go to Sunday School in a very progressive Episcopal church that allows our special class to meet on Sunday during the regular Sunday school time. We have progressive Christians as well as agnostics and atheists alongside lay ministers and deacons. The Teacher is an ordained minister of the Unitarian Church which is very progressive. So there are all kinds of religions and all kinds of different threads among those. I admit it is unusual, but so far, it is working and we all are enjoying it. The other members of the church smilingly call us "The Heretics", and we have socials together and enjoy each other's company. All of us work together and do many good things for the community.

PEGUS Level 5 Jan 7, 2018

I miss the friendships ad the community. I miss the answers. I miss the built in sense of purpose.

My mother once asked me: "Don't you miss it? Even the singing"? I joined a UU congregation for a while (when newly moved to an area where I knew almost no one). I made some friends there that I'll have for life so I don't regret it, but ultimately I decided that even that was too churchy for me. I get my singing fixes elsewhere.

No but I do envy the community that seems to be present in religious life. I recently was booked to work a baby shower and there were tons of people and there was a game that required people to gather as a team and sing nursery rhymes. I asked why everyone sound so amazing and they were all members of the choir at church. I am sometimes envious yet hopeful that people can build community around secular lifestyles/values too

No. I am a free thinker. Religion does not allow for that much needed process

NOT!!!

Not really, I never particularly liked it to begin with. It's been long enough that I don't think I even miss the people. If I need the interaction I have a crochet group I go to, a gaming group that I no longer game with but still talk to often enough, and have no problem with starting or joining other activity groups for company and like mindedness if I feel I need something that regular in my life.

AmyLF Level 7 Jan 23, 2018

I miss the routine sometimes. There were times I wanted to buy-in but just couldn't bring myself to mean it when I said it.

Not for a minute

Once I became disillusioned I never attended church again. I have meditated at Thai Buddhist temples with my Thai friends and students but doing my own thing more than following the monk's chants. I did briefly miss the activities and friends I'd made in my singles group, but soon filled the former church time with bird photography trips, hikes, riding horses, new friends, etc. I do miss that belief that there's a strong, wise God looking out for me and all I have to do is be passive and let things happen. It's disconcerting to realize that I am responsible for my own life.

Not at all. Like missing shackles

I miss the illusion of knowledge and purpose & the social interactions.

I want to start attending meet up groups in Oklahoma. Work is an obstacle.

I don't miss anything about religion, church, fellowship, nothing. The fellowship was based on shared beliefs so it's meaningless now. I'm an introvert anyway and don't enjoy forced relationships so I'm totally fine without any of it.

Not at all

When you have studied the really ancient religions, such as Ubaid and Sumerian (the latter was more of a proto-religion) and can pinpoint the time where religion went wrong then no not miss being part of 'The Herd'

Not at all

When you have studied the really ancient religions, such as Ubaid and Sumerian (the latter was more of a proto-religion) and can pinpoint the time where religion went wrong then no not miss being part of 'The Herd'

If I miss anything, it is the glares I got from snickering during the services. I was once taken to church on a date. Before the mass even started, she wanted to leave

I was never raised in a religious household. So I did not have to put up with that stuff. Did my own DD and realized that it was very hypocritical and a money making machine.

I miss church choir. I miss the Wednesday potlucks.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:37
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.