Agnostic.com

99 2

Do you have to pretend to be religious to fit in?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

99 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Never. And I won't be quiet about it if I am feeling pressured to conform.

Fitting in isn't all that it's cut out to be.

Nope and I never will.

ya. I had to so many time.

cool Level 1 Sep 30, 2017

No. I don't believe in being fake to fit in. If they don't like me, that's their loss.

Authenticity is key to a happy and healthy life. Always be yourself; don't pretend to be something that you're not.

Thankfully, I don't. I didn't actually pretend to be Christian after I burned off my faith. I was just never approached about it or asked a direct question. I said what I thought on whatever subject and they just never brought it down to asking about that.

i Dont

No, but I feel as if I used to (when I was younger) just to not to the odd ball; now I prefer being the odd ball.

Hell no! Never have, never would.

Sometimes I keep my mouth shut, I always run into situations here where someone has to "Thank Jesus" for every little thing, but I am honest when asked about my own position.

mtn85 Level 2 Oct 2, 2017

I don't pretend, but depending on the group of people I'm around, & the reason I'm a there. People can believe what they want, & my Beliefs are my own, & I don't always Share them, so to remain focused on the moment.

I have a direct question policy. I keep my lack of religion quiet unless asked directly. I generally scoot around the most common question "What church do you go to?" with "I don't have a church. I've never found one that works." Then they, of course, plug their own church; I reply "thanks, no thanks." and go about my day.

yes, especially if you live in a radical muslim society and you are going to be fired from your job or to be killed.

No I have trouble keeping my mouth shut.

I normally just go with the flow if it is in a private household and this is what they believe or normally do. However my last job was working for a church and although I loved the work I often felt uncomfortable when it was suggested I attend church sessions. I felt that if I respect what they believe they should also respect my beliefs.

If I had to pretend then I wouldn't be there.

SamL Level 7 Oct 8, 2017

depends on the people i'm around. I am respectful of their feelings and know from experience that debate is time wasted

No...not that it comes up a lot.

Hell no! I don't care one way or the other.. if they don't like too bad, so sad!

I've learned to be me....and if they can't handle it fuck em. I live in the Bible belt and you can't throw a stick without hitting some church, synagogue, mosque or house of worship around here, but I push back when they start in with all their mumbo-jumbo crap.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:39
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.