Agnostic.com

99 2

Do you have to pretend to be religious to fit in?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

99 comments (76 - 99)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

NO

I'm in the customer service industry. I'm a flight attendant that encounters hundreds of people from all over the world in one day. These people come from different socio-economic classes, races and religions. I cannot bring my biases or beliefs to to work and I ignore theirs and treat them equally and at the same same time ignoring and respecting their "god be with you" or "have a blessed day" I know who I am and proud of it and if asked ... a proud Atheist.

flora Level 3 Nov 4, 2017

I refuse. I am not rude about it unless pressed but I refuse.

I like to fit in any social construct. Pretending to like work and enslavement to the almighty God the US dollar is something i do. I might as well pretend to be religious. Its the same sort of pretending.

argo Level 4 Nov 3, 2017

I'm not interested in fitting in. It's cool if I can find like minded people to talk to/spend time with, but if I have to change any fundamental part of my personality just to socialize, I'd rather not be bothered.

Nope... I just tell everyone my beliefs are PRIVATE and none of their business. The more they insist... the more I laugh and tell them to mind their own business.

No .I am an honest and good person and have no need to disparage myself in any way to be a member of society.

Hell no! I don't care one way or the other.. if they don't like too bad, so sad!

No...not that it comes up a lot.

depends on the people i'm around. I am respectful of their feelings and know from experience that debate is time wasted

If I had to pretend then I wouldn't be there.

SamL Level 7 Oct 8, 2017

I normally just go with the flow if it is in a private household and this is what they believe or normally do. However my last job was working for a church and although I loved the work I often felt uncomfortable when it was suggested I attend church sessions. I felt that if I respect what they believe they should also respect my beliefs.

No I have trouble keeping my mouth shut.

yes, especially if you live in a radical muslim society and you are going to be fired from your job or to be killed.

Hell no! Never have, never would.

No, but I feel as if I used to (when I was younger) just to not to the odd ball; now I prefer being the odd ball.

Authenticity is key to a happy and healthy life. Always be yourself; don't pretend to be something that you're not.

ya. I had to so many time.

cool Level 1 Sep 30, 2017

My family is super religious, and every time I visit I'm asked to go to church. They don't know that I'm not a believer, and I don't know if I'll ever tell them, it would break my mothers heart. So yes, I have pretended (to a small extent) so I'm not shunned from my family.

My parents are orthodox and very anti atheism, so they don't know i'm an atheist! All they know is i'm not quite as religious as they are.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:39
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.