175 8

Do you celebrate religious holidays?

• 38 votes
  • 81 votes
  • 67 votes
  • 69 votes
Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

175 comments (101 - 125)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The two big ones in my family are Easter and Xmas... I don't attend church with everybody, but I'll show up for the food.

Every year, my mother always seems to throw in a sly remark, to play the guilt-card, like, "We missed you at church".

I love holidays! I see them as mainly opportunities to be with people that you hopefully like, good food, good conversation, playing games and relaxing. As every Christian holiday is around a pagan holiday I have no problem with it! I love the thought of burning old man winter and the celebration of life and spring for Easter. In my home country a lot of the old Norse holidays and traditions are still celebrated, like Bikebrennen and Walpurgisnacht! Lotsa fun, ideally with a bit of alcohol involved!

I still celebrate Christmas as I have fond memories of it as a child and my family, who remained catholic, still celebrated it. Easter as well, but only for dinner with the family. I do not consider Thanksgiving and Halloween to be religious, as Thanksgiving is a national holiday and Halloween is the Americanization of an old pagan tradition. Even Christmas and Easter as celebrated in the US are more pagan than Christian. With both my parents gone now, children all grown and the family scattered, Easter will probably be dropped other than maybe cooking a ham.

Yes..only Christmas.. it’s alrady embed it in me.. who doesn’t love x-mas?...

Sure. say no to good food? no way! also, most jewish holidays (those are the ones i celebrate) are about either some historical event (with a little miracle mixed in, but that can be taken as allegorical) or, in the case of the high holy days, the new year (by the jewish calendar -- why should we mark time by someone else's religion?) and the day of atonement (which is about interpersonal relationships). we have a holiday for celebrating the harvest, and one for trees -- trees are cool. and did i mention food? atheists eat too! and we even have a holiday that never mentions god once! (it's purim, and it's about a brave woman.) oh that reminds le: happy labor day, everyone! (nope, no god in that one either!)

g

I celebrate Christmas (of course! family, food and presents!), Thanksgiving (again, family and food!), and Easter (only because of my family). I don't know if Halloween counts considering its origin, but I definitely celebrate that (it's my favorite one)! I don't see any of them as religious. I guess I feel like they have 'two sides' to them, the secular side and the religious side.

I love spooky stuff so much that last year I decorated the Christmas tree with homemade severed doll parts and zombie heads. It was great! I've also used a cauldron for an Easter basket before.

I have been in retail management for a quarter century now. I grew to HATE Christmas a long, long time ago.

I work most other holidays (religious and secular), as well.

So, not over excited about any of this.

Ozman Level 7 June 25, 2018

Thanksgiving is my holiday of choice. My family is still Catholic, so I "celebrate" their holy days, while concealing my doubts.

Our family does a fairly secular Christmas celebration with gift giving and eating. Lots of eating. Other members of my family, who live nearby and attend church, celebrate Easter, but I don't do anything for it since my sons are adults and I have no grandchildren. Thanksgiving is all about the food, too. If there is prayer, I just wait it out.

Deb57 Level 8 June 8, 2018

Many of those holidays are not religious anymore they just have religious origins. When i was in India on holiday we celebrated Diwali -didnt have a clue what it was or what it was about but lots of very nice Indian people kept giving us sweets and, honestly, i though it would be rude not to get into it with them

Only if they involve cake and/or chocolate 🙂

'Celebrate' might be overstating it a little

Doesn t bother me that people do, for all the reasons listed by others here.
. Personally, no, I dont.

I can't think of any other religious holidays other than Christmas and Easter. I don't know anything about other religions' holidays. I enjoy being off work, and enjoy giving gifts, but that's about it.

Side note, the most important holiday we celebrate in the states, by far, is memorial day, imho.

I celebrate them as family time, not religious holidays. And I hate to see them disapear, as in stores staying open, and non emergency personel forced to work. Certain jobs never have a day off, such as first responders, hospital and nursing home workers, cabs, trains and planes. But for the majority of people, having a day to spend with your family should be available on a regular basis. And I enjoy Thanksgiving the most, because it hasn't been taken over as a commercial gift giving holiday as most others have. And even an Athiest can be thankful for what you have in life, what you have achieved, the friends and family you may have around you, your health, or just being alive. Your not "thanking" some ephemeral being, just being thankful your life turned out as well as it has.

the year we had beans on toast for dinner on 25th december at the request of my son was the high point of the season for me - I will never forgt how great they tasted.

Almost all major holidays we have today started out pagan

Kodi Level 4 Jan 27, 2018

I agree with most of you. It's a time for eating and spending time with family and the time off work is a bonus. I am not spending time worshipping and praying to an imaginary friend.

I don't celebrate any holidays except birthdays. If I'm invited to a friends house, I'll go and bring a gift for the children because they do celebrate.

I keep plugging that even for the religious the most important day of the year is that on which they were born (and hard luck on the Leap Yearians) they grow ever younger.

Yes I'm talking about Citizens Day again when everyone gets a day off work to celebrate, contemplate, evaluate and thank themselves for their life and achievements in the previous year.

I exchange gifts with friends and family at Christmas. I don't count that as celebrating Christmas.

Very occasionally I accompany my elderly grandmother to Roman Catholic Mass, but I don't participate in the ceremonies or prayers. Sometimes the songs are nice.

Easter bunny and Santa Clause for grand children no mention of god .

I am no longer someone's something. I am not a daughter or niece or something that HAS to make the respected older person shut up. I went along to get along and when they were gone I was free, freedom is under rated.

Every day is ok for me I used to pretend and send cards etc but stopped when I got older and thought that i'd look after myself better.

Any holiday I celebrate with my kids is completely secular. Religion is not apart of it at all.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:44
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.