175 8

Do you celebrate religious holidays?

• 38 votes
  • 81 votes
  • 67 votes
  • 69 votes
Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

175 comments (126 - 150)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

We celebrate one in December and one in April
They are not religious, religion stole their pagan past.
Light in December with lights and a tree (predates Christianity by thousands of years)
Fertility in April hence the eggs

I appreciate ritual and the way it can focus us on a particular idea so the mid-winter celebrations of light like Hanukkah, Yule, even Christmas, all resonate but so do some Jewish hoidays and if I knew more about other religions I'd find connections like Diwali another festical of light.

My family and community celebrate around me, I reserve my inner feelings and simply watch it all happening, like a movie. I try to enjoy the moment regardless, but no one really "gets" holidays anymore, other than to buy shit, or force more candy and sugar on the children. Get them hooked while they're young, sugar addicted for life, keep the economy flowing...buy, consume, pitch, repeat...

I sympathize with this viewpoint. But for me, I don't worry about the world going wrong. Consumerism and fetishizing of rich food is a problem, but I purchase or make presents for those I love and hope they will enjoy them. I keep the feasting to a minimum at my house, I don't need that stuff and I don't want to feel like a balloon by New Year's Eve. For people who can enjoy it and stay healthy, more power to them. I get that feasting is a human thing. and I think that in their purest form, presents and gifts are lovely. Very little stays pure, but a person can see the good in people and things. I do Christmas my way, and don't worry about how the rest of the country does it to excess.

I have no interest in celebrating them, but family members do. Also, my children still like the pomp and circumstance (not the religious parts) that goes with it. Food, family, and on occasion presents for no reason other than reinforcing good behavior.

I don't celebrate ant holidays.

When are the ant holidays? I'm up for celebrating them too - ants are awesome!

See no sense to celebrate. If things are going well I celebrate. If things go bad and made me survive I celebrate. Actually I celebrate only two days every year. 1.com/ the liberation from concentration camp 2.com/ discharge from the military.

Gabi Level 2 Nov 24, 2017

My family and friends are mostly Christian but I don't celebrate Easter whatsoever. I do participate in Christmas and buy gifts for my family and a few friends though I don't decorate my home or acknowledge Christmas much beyond that.

It's annoying how some people think I'm a scrooge because I'm not ecstatic about gaudy holiday decorations, those awful Christmas songs, or wanting to spend an entire month celebrating a one-day holiday.

Growing up with a Jewish father and Catholic mother, holidays were always a little tense and weird in my house. When my kids were in school and the public schools make a big deal about the Christian holidays I just went along even though I generally bowed out of school plays, etc. I actually "got saved" at one point (I have no idea why) and got into it heavily. Saw the hypocrisy and got unsaved. Now that the kids are grown with families I let them decide which holidays they want to celebrate and just take part in whatever makes them happy.

Now I avoid anything religious or maybe a better way to put it, anything organized and religious. Living in Alabama I'm going to have to deal with it to some extent because this is an evangelical state...they really believe everyone who isn't Baptist is going to hell. Sigh. I just try to avoid them all.

I used to 'celebrate' Xmas for the benefit of my daughter as a child, then we both decided to make it our version of simply giving 'special kinds of gifts' once per year as tokens of sincere thanks for the Love, Understanding, Companionship and Caring, etc, we had shown each other throughout the past year.
On her last "Thank you Day"I apologised to my daughter, Lorrae, for not being able to give her the things I wanted to because I had been completely 'snowed under' for the last 12 months caring for her, supporting her and being by her side whilst she went through Chemotherapy for Lymphatic Cancer, ( she was 16 years old btw and passed away on January 7th. 2001 with me by her bedside) Lorrae replied, "Dad, I've never needed anything else from you to show your love, you have ben my Dad/Mum, my Big Brother, my Best Friend, my closest Advisor, my Supporter through everything, YOU have been everything and more besides, what else would anyone ever want or even need. I love you."
I will carry those beautiful words around with me for all my life.

My heart goes out to you, friend. My daughter said something similar to me-- makes me feel like I did at least one thing in life right.

Yes, I like religious holidays. Days off from work and family gatherings

Most of them come with time off from work. Albeit, I don't celebrate it in the way that would be accustomed to the the religion they portray, I do use it as a time away from work.

I don't celebrate but I do try to enjoy my family until it gets challenging.

And I tell my kids that it's a pagan holiday that reminds us, critical thinking is our greatest tool against the tyranny and superstitions of the many.

I think things like Christmas have progressed from being a religious holiday to being national holidays to many of us, one that still has a lot of meaning without the Christian element.

I celebrate Easter and Christmas as the celebration of spring and the celebration of the turning of the year. Jesus and Santa Claus are equally real, and the Easter Bunny is right up there, too. But I enjoy the tree (which predates Christianity considerably), the lights, the giving part. Those don't require a Jesus.

For me, celebration is about getting together with family and friends, and the holidays are just a vehicle to make that happen, when people have time off from work, etc. It's a secular mindset. But for the most part it just comes down to Christmas, and to a far lesser degree Easter.

I enjoy family get togethers. Religion isn't my purpose at all.

I got in the habit of celebrating pagan holidays with my ex. It's more or less an excuse to celebrate for me, I guess a few rituals are involved, but it's not very mystical, I'd say more of a different tradition. For example, I don't carve pumpkins on Halloween, I build a fire in the firepit, drink apple cider (or hard cider), remember the dead, and treat it like a second new year almost.

I never pass up an opportunity to celebrate anything. I simply ignore the religious aspects.

Being grateful for what we have isn't religious and family times at Winter Solstice is needed for family and my Solstice 5' wreath has a banner in the center that clearly extends "Happy Solstice" to all who see it on the front of my house during the Holiday season. I feel my values far exceed those of many pious religious church attendee's.

Hey, any excuse to eat a bunch of delicious food and drink a bunch of booze. I don't really like half the people at work, but you can bet I'm turning up for birthday snacks too.

Holidays aren't really a big deal for me, but I usually participate in family events at Christmas.

JimG Level 8 Nov 6, 2017

Sure - why not, most other people are off anyway, who are you going to work with on those days?

we celebrate Santa Claus, and we hunt for Easter candy, and cook turkey for Thanksgiving. That's as close as I get these days.

I like tradition.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:44
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.