175 8

Do you celebrate religious holidays?

• 38 votes
  • 81 votes
  • 67 votes
  • 69 votes
Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

175 comments (151 - 175)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

holidays are fun, so yes

I am glad that I get certain days off from work due to other people's religious observances. At the xmas time we celebrate the solstice, put up lights, and give gifts, but with no religious mention at all. Admittedly, it has made my children felt like they fit in better with the community because we had lights and were festive, but they always had a little chuckle because they knew there was no Santa Clause as much as there was no proof of any god. I think they would have preferred a real, true Santa because at least he gives presents each year and doesn't send people to hell and make the go to church each week!

I 'celebrate' because that is when our families get together . I also celebrate the 4th of July and I can't say I'm patriotic either.

I have always dreaded Xmas. I just went along with it as my wife celebrated it and it was a children's holiday. I just tried to keep JESUS out of it. Easter was all about getting candy at half price the Monday after at Walgreen's or CVS. The christ thing rising from the dead was just so ridiculous that I could never understand how people believed that crap. Which just leads to the catholic church and all it's pedophile priests.

I love holidays! I celebrate them as bits of history that give great opportunities to have fun family time. I like to include holidays from other religions that are particularly fun, and I enjoy telling my children about the mythology that led to each holiday (including the superstitions that preceded the current ones).

Just Easter and Christmas, mostly that is just getting together with my family and eating. Though, I really wish my mom would stop having my grandma say grace. She's getting crazier every year. Like, keep it short and sweet grandma! I'm not the only Atheist in my family.

Christmas and Easter are both thoroughly secularized in Consumer America and I am joyful to celebrate both. You can also look back on history when you celebrate any holiday, and feel connected with way back. Someone above doesn't know about Easter bunnies (and eggs!); the celebration was once one of fecundity, of the earth warm and ready to produce, and all animals ditto.

I would if I had someone in my life who wanted to celebrate a holiday. I don't have small children in my family. Left to my own preference I have no reason to celebrate a fictional character.

Family food and fun

Holidays are a nice break in the routine. Add getting together with friends & family, add food-how can you beat that?

Mostly because everyone else in my family does it, and also.. I get gifts out of it. ^^" Pretty selfish there, but at least I give gifts back. I see Christmas and Easter as gift giving holidays

Christmas and Easter are the only really religious ones my family does. I'm not married and have no kids, so when I say "family," I mean parents, sister & her family, etc. I don't go to church with them, but there's always a gathering with a meal. I don't mind Christmas, but I could do without Easter. I have holidays off of my job, and I'd rather just have some of these holidays to myself and not be obliged to get together.

Mostly those that include gifts or food. (;

Zster Level 8 Oct 8, 2017

If it involves good times, good food and good company, why not.

I have a kiddo and then other family members so we get together on holidays. I think for us anyways it about being off and together.

I don't really do Easter now that my kid is grown. But I still love Christmas and celebrate being with the people I care about. I have had religious people tell me it was "wrong" and an insult for me to celebrate Christmas. I pointed them to the Tim Minchin song "White Wine in the Sun". And asked them how they could deny me that. I don't really do baptisms and christenings or directly religious events like that.

I find it difficult to celebrate religious holidays as an atheist. Stopped celebrating Christmas with my family at 15. Some people celebrate the tradition and like the ritual but I have always found it uncomfortable because it seems hypocritical as an atheist. That being said, I don't care what others do and have taken over duties from others so they can take time off from work, etc. Also, serve lunch at a homeless shelter for Thanksgiving, as I believe in giving back. Also serve once a week there anyway. Always believed that you have to make a positive difference in the world when you can.

If you can't live it up and celebrate life and family, then what's the point of living? As a Humanist/Atheist I personally love the fact that I can join in pretty much any celebration I choose. It's all made up so why not!

I voted none but it was hard to pick answer. I celebrate family times at the same time as there are religious holidays. But I do not celebrate religiously. Some of my family does. But I just enjoy the family time.

DeiP Level 5 Oct 4, 2017

I celebrate still but I understand the real reason we celebrate not the religious one. One example Christmas; I celebrate the winter solstice which is what it is not the reason the church gave us.

I don't "celebrate" any holiday. I personally believe holidays are a construct propagated by the retail industry to guilt people into spending money so that person doesn't look bad to their peers/family.

I celebrate, usually in jest but hey, I love cooking and feeding people and coming together with good thoughts. I will usually try to find the pagan holiday they ripped it off of and celebrate that with gusto.

I do not celebrate Christian Holidays. I celebrate Birthdays, anniversaries, awards, and patriotic holidays.
(This includes Thanksgiving which is the one time of year when traditional family members and I are both celebrating a holiday together.)
I tend to follow and honor cycles of nature and astrological events.

Donna Level 6 Sep 29, 2017

I don't really celebrate christmas but I will occasionally buy gifts. I am considerate of the solstice and equinox days as well as other astronomical events. I'm considerate of the Memorial and Labor days as well as the Fourth of July. I absolutely love Thanksgiving because it gives me a moment to be thankful for everything I have, including my family and friends.

I don't think of Christmas for its Religious Holiday or really do more than expected than enjoy the Color for being the Winter Solstice. The Winter Solstice is my Favorite Season. But I am not into the Traditions. I live by myself and am not involved with any Religious Holidays. I said None. I don't.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:44
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.