Agnostic.com

37 4

Do you guys ever stop to think... your favorite movie or your favorite song or your favorite book... what if they were never thought of, what if they were never written? It bothers me to think about some times... and I think about it to the point where it's almost obsessive. The concept of something that exists not existing simply because it didn't enter into the mind of someone. It blows my mind and makes me appreciate creativity so much more.

anonymous 7 May 22

Post a comment Reply Add Photo

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

37 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Nope. I don't think like that. When everyone you've ever loved is dead, you pretty much understand the things and people you've known forever can indeed vanish without notice. That's life. Like it or not.

Yes, that's life.
But it is sad.
My sisters and brothers tried for years to get our parents to identify people in pictures.
They never did.
And it's too late now.

@HumanistJohn I'm sorry. 😞 I wish I'd been more diligent in taking photos. In time, voices fade and all we have are the photos. Death is a tough thing. πŸ˜“

@SeaGreenEyez
How well I know.
WE can all look back and regret or omissions- a word not spoken, a touch not given, a photo missed, an object lost...
I suppose that's just human.
Hopefully, though, we can learn... And keep livinmg and loving...

Jesus! If only I had your problems!

I never obsess about hypothetical scenarios. I appreciate art, beauty and creativity on their own merits.

What a strange obsession.

Please see a counselor.

What about all the lousy annoying songs movies etc that DO exist ,this is what bothers me ,that they do exist .Obsessing about some thing that exists not existing never even entered my mind.

Yes, you do have a problem. Time to get some help with it.

I know how you feel. At the same time, there is so much undiscovered beauty out there that we could never as a single person enjoy every last sparklebug or sunrise. The important thing is to love what we have while we can.

I agree Ben.

@spartan919
Exactly. From a remote mountain covered in snow, to a bean plant exploding with life awaiting my thumbs of death. It's the things we tend to not notice that are the most important.

Creativity is for sure to be appreciated. However, I would recommend you not to worry; not even a bit. And that is because in so very many situations (the discovery of how to use electricity or the invention of a machine that uses magnetic tape to let us see a movie, to mention just two obvious examples) there are two and sometimes more individuals coming to the same conclusions or the same discoveries or the same thoughts. If Albert Einstein had not come up with his theory of relativity, someone else would have, sooner or later. In the case of a song, there are several reasons you may like it (I.e. you heard it for the first time in such a great moment of your life that now you like it because it brings back that wonderful feeling; or the lyrics and the music made you feel in a special way and now listening to it brings back those feelings). But as you can see, those moments and feelings could have been accompanied by another songs that made you feel the same way. You see, it is not the specific product (song, movie, poem, book), but your emotions. That is why I don’t haven just one favorite song or movie; they are many, and they all make me feel great. And another reason why I would recommend you not to worry: what if there was this other song or movie that was never created and you get those feelings from the one that you actually got to know? And finally, have you thought about all the songs and movies that were actually created but you don’t know about? There are many reasons to be neurotic about; most do not worth it.

If they wee not thought of or created then I suppose we would have other favorite movies, songs, or books.

But they were created so relax.

πŸ˜…

If it didn't exist, then you would not know about it or be aware about.

By that same token you may want to start worrying that your actual favorite book/movie/song/et cetera hasn't been created yet.

or that you're developing that as you live, and sometimes you see that someone else has a similar idea.

I have never done this. However, I have now imagined a world where no one came up with the idea of grinding the cacao bean and then adding sugar to it; which, in time, led to someone saying "I think I will add some of this to coffee and steamed milk." That is a world in which I would not want to exist. But, then again, if I had never had it, I wouldn't know I was missing it.

Imagine the great numbers of people who had potential for genius but their ideas were dismissed or lost - or they were branded as 'kooks'. Thing is, how would we know if we're better or worse off without them? I think of war the same way, the big ones erased the lives of millions among whom no doubt, many were the flower of their generation. Yet we still muddle on. Maybe that's the purpose of creativity - to improvise in the best ways we can find to survive.

TO_BY Level 5 May 26, 2020

Then something else would do it. Possibly better, possibly worse.

The fact is often times there are a hundred other people working on nearly equivalent work that never see the light of day. It would replace your favorite and would have the same impact. And likely that would now be your favorite.

"The concept of something that exists not existing simply because it didn't enter into the mind of someone."
there's a lot of shit that entered ppls minds: hitler, gacy, bundy, trump that humanity could have done without & been much better off.

Well, yeah - but good stuff too: Helen Keller, Mohandas Gandhi, Sean Penn, Michelle Obama, come to mind. I wish there was a way to have more people like that succeed, and less criminals like - aw, you know...

You should watch the movie "Yesterday ".

Wis John happier being a farmer?
We'll never know.
And no way to tell.
We must live the life we have, play with the cards we're dealt.

@HumanistJohn he was an artist. In our world he was also a painter so perhaps in that one he sang at the local pub.

The other side of that coin:
Think of all the things that WERE created.
WE can delight in that.
There's also the manuscripts that were saved from destruction because the heirs didn't destroy them.

I like people who have the wherewithal to preserve culture.

This way of thinking is so foreign to my mind that I cannot identify with it at all.

It seems off.πŸ˜‘

It is off. It is somewhat neurotic, and most people do not identify with such mental state. And yet, it is just a more troubling example of a more everyday feeling of being worry about something real, like paying the rent.

What if Jesus didn't love Mrs. Robinson more than she would ever know? Coo coo ca chew...

But it was written, but if it hadn't some other song or book would be your favourite. Anyway to have one favourite in any genre shows a distinct lack of imagination.

Maybe you should 'appreciate' your imagination more than 'creativity'!
If those 'favorites' were not created you would be probably 'favoring' other stuff!

There's always others...it's a very large ocean.

This is one of the first things that impress the traveller.

Well, I suppose obsessing about this will take your mind off all the other totally non-consequential events going on in the world ...

This terrible scenario is already reality. Think of all the awesome books & movies that already don’t exist. Don’t think too hard though.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:498498
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.