Agnostic.com

17 5

Who's the most influential of recent atheists?

Feel free to comment on people on this list or add others you feel should be on it. (You can select multiple people)

• 1 vote
  • 14 votes
  • 20 votes
  • 4 votes
  • 11 votes
  • 14 votes
  • 13 votes
  • 21 votes
  • 5 votes
  • 2 votes
  • 12 votes
  • 15 votes
  • 2 votes
  • 2 votes
  • 23 votes
Admin 8 Sep 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I voted for Hitch Dawkins and Harris from the list but I would definitely add Matt Dilahunty

Source:

Dr Madalyn Eads Murray O'Hair should be on top of this list with 2 other dead Atheists who published fewer books and employed fewer activists litigants and organizers. ....influence should be measured by her pioneering standard not blogoshere or television appearances

I also like Seth Andrews, but I don't have enough points to add him to the list. I like his podcast called The Thinking Atheist.

Matt Dilahunty Is coming up

I'd add Carl Sagan

I've only heard of half of these.

My favorite atheist of all time would be Mark Twain.

I have not watched a debate that the Hitch lost...still looking...eloquent speaker that I never get tired of listening to. Please add Lawrence Krauss

It's a shame we don't have a man like him in this time of politics.

Absolutely goat128....I wish that wish all the time...Just imagining him take on Trump lights my fire...

Influential to society as a whole or influential to me specifically? Because to me specifically it is Richard Dawkins and Neil DeGrass Tyson (swoon). For society, prolly Bill Maher, George Carlin and Bill Nye - because most everyone has heard of them.

Sam Harris and Hitchens were my eye-openers initially. Sam is hit-and-miss lately but I think he can turn it around and get back to more consistency.

Hemant Mehta

I can't really tell if you asking about influential people who are atheists or atheists who are influential. Because I feel like those are two different questions with different answers. Like Tyson and Nye are influential people who just happen to be atheists, their atheism comes second to their influence, but Dawkins and Hitchens are atheists who are influential, their atheism has eclipsed their original influence as scientist and journalist.

At first, I was thinking, huh? but I kept reading and you make a very valid point I had not considered. Very impressive!

I would also add Matt Dillahunty, and the people from The Atheist Experience. Also Seth Andrews from The Thinking Atheist.

I agree. I still would have voted for Neil DeGrasse Tyson, but their names should at least warrant consideration.

I went to see Neil Degrasse Tyson a few months ago. He lectured on Science in the Movies. He was hilarious while also teaching me some things. Laughter is a great way to learn.

For me at least.

I love Christopher Hitchens debates. After I let go of religion I watched most of them. I wouldn't say Bill Maher is influential but being on the liberal side I've always watched his show even as a Christian. I was never one to get offended because of a difference of opinion. Sam Harris is also a very good debater and speaker. I voted for a few others too. This is a very good list.

Where are all the popular atheist youtubers?

Tejas Level 8 Sep 30, 2017

Same, I think he goes by TJkirk now though. The atheist experience, biblereloaded and darkmatter2525 also contributed a lot to my atheism. If you haven't heard of them I recommend checking it out.

I agree, The American Atheist was part of the reason I fully deconverted. His videos were suggested to me when I started questioning. Good stuff. Darkmatter is another good one.

So many more great ones that didn't make the list! I would like to offer Eddie Izzard, Craig Ferguson, Penn Gillette, Jim Jefferies, and most definitely Seth MacFarlane. The comedians use humour to make complicated truths easier to understand.

I would like to add Aron Ra and Richard Carrier.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:510
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.