Agnostic.com

35 3

DNA testing? For or against...

I purchased a box for the 23andMe test kit months ago. I am waffling on actually taking the test as I am unsure what will be done with all the data.

View Results
By anonymous7
Actions Follow Post Like

Post a comment Add Source Add Photo

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

35 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Its all pointless, and proves nothing, ...don't waste your money folks, go to three or four different sites, and you will get three or four different results, .....ITS A FNG SCAM

disagree

@markdevenish as you are entitled to do, but you cannot make a connection to any other donor to DNA without the donors DNA

As long as l don't have to study for it I'm OK with it.

Sticks48 Level 9 Apr 10, 2018

Lol!

DNA analysis is one of the most important human inventions. Right up there with writing.

What we are learning about human migration alone is worth the cost of everyone participating.

Jacar Level 8 Apr 9, 2018

I haven't had it done but my paternal uncle had it done and part of it said that he is 4% Neanderthal so I hope that I am as well.

gsiamne Level 7 Apr 9, 2018

I won't do it. 'They' have too much of my info already.

I haven't taken the test. I found out that companies are selling the DNA information of their clients.

Nikonian Level 5 Apr 9, 2018

You might want to do some research on those tests. There are several instances of identical twins both sending their kits in and getting wildly different outcomes.

For me, there was a curiosity about family history, but also about health. Both bits were interesting and helpful, and the health information has helped me to lose over 15 pounds in the last few months, with no significant change other than adding a supplement to offset the effect of a genetic anomaly that has caused metabolic issues my whole life. I would never have known, otherwise.

Meep70 Level 7 Apr 9, 2018

Which one did you use?

@Donna_I Genes For Good

[genesforgood.sph.umich.edu]

@Meep70 thanks!

My daughter was interested so I sprang for her birthday. She's half European and half southeast Asian. Ohoo! No big revelations there.

gearl Level 7 Apr 9, 2018

Slightly vague that is! smile001.gif

I have had to test to get my kids. It is a long story basically my kid's mom is schizophrenic and refused to put me on birth certificates because I would not accept her deity. Needed to test to prove that I was the dad. My mom just recently did it told me we are Viking, French, German on her side anyway.

azzow2 Level 8 Apr 9, 2018

unless it becomes a thing when I need a kidney transplant, i do not care. I already know way too much about my body, stuff that keeps me awake at night.

I won’t do any kind of DNA testing unless it’s needed for health reasons. Worked in the tech world for almost 35 years. Taught me nothing is secure when you are talking about information. There are always bigger and badder thieves out there.

Paisley Level 2 Apr 10, 2018

Considering that quite a few of my family members have already done an DNA analysis, including both parents, it means they already have my information. I don't find it that scary. There could also be some good science that comes out of it. The risk to you personally is pretty much non-existent. Does Google having all your information affect you? Everybody's trying to get as much information as possible these days, eventually laws will probably need to be made. Everything new had this. The evil of the automobile, airplanes, personal computers, video games, music to name a few. It seems like everyone is so afraid of our corporate overlords these days.

My sister's already done it, so I can get a decent approximation from her results. Although, according to what she has told me, no two family members are precisely alike. Our surname is Scottish in origin from the clan of Grizzled Robert, a defender of the King awhile back. So, anyway, I'm good with that; I saw BRAVEHEART, and at least I can say the Scots were fighters. And no shit from you Limey's out there, OK?

Condor5 Level 8 Apr 9, 2018

My only purpose is to know more about my heritage. I have already done it with my dogs and it was good to know what breeds they are made up of especially since one is a rescue dog.

lbusche Level 7 Apr 9, 2018

Just remember that it only tells you where people with DNA similar to yours is currently known to be at this time.

Plus if you are afraid [as so many are] that your kid will go insane from pot you can be tested for the marker [ of which 3% of the population have ] c o m - t that makes one a prime candidate for insanity at the hands of massive quantities of marijuana !!!

I hear tell the science is flawed, so, I'm waiting for awhile before getting my DNA tested.

Gohan Level 7 Apr 9, 2018

Never considered it.

Coldo Level 8 Apr 9, 2018

I did the genome project via national geographic . Loved the route my tribe took to reach ireland and my wife's took to reach croatia. very cool

from the rift valley

These don't seem rigerous to me. Think it might be a bit of a hoax in some ways, but I have heard of stories where long lost family members have been reuinited. But what exactly are they doing with the data themselves???

I found out I am definitely Jewish. It wasn't able to pinpoint where my ancestors were from because Jews always got kicked out of one place and moved to another. But it was kinnda funny to find out I have some Irish in me.

MrLizard Level 8 Apr 9, 2018

Half Jewish, half lizard?

So the test matched your family history except for the Irish part?

@DominicShaull Probably more lizard than human.

@Donna_I Well... we know little of the family history. That was one reason to get the test. My mother's family had been in the states for some time. The Irish may come from that. We found out my great grandfather was not my biologic great grandfather. So we suspect that injection of Ireland came from "that guy". My father's parents came from Bessarabia, as far as we know. That is now Moldova. It was under Russian rule and the very violent pogroms were chasing out Jews. My grandparents on my dad's side came over in 1920. (Again, from what we were told.)

@MrLizard Keep in mind Lord Mayor Robert Briscoe from Dublin was Jewish!

@Donna_I Not that fascinating - since you've pretty much read it all. I mean - I could write a short novel... but I'd have to make up a bunch of shit.

I have no need to know if my ancestors were Portugese pirates or Chinese Emperors or good for nothings. It might be useful for testing a fetus or young people as an indicator of possible future illness, but for mid life people most of the damage has already been done to change course so late. Maybe women should have it done on their husbands in case future paternity info might help resolve who was the real father of his secretary's unexpected baby. smile001.gif

I have thought about taking one for family genealogy specifically. That is as far as I have taken it though.

I want to take the test but lack economic ability

were on sale for $59 before x-mas on Ancestry-should have done it then-save $49

@sassygirl3869 unfortunately that's still really pricey for me lol. Plus I have to look at how much the genetic testing for my disorder is gonna run me

For what value there after?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text 'q:54120'.
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content read full disclaimer.
  • Agnostic.com is a non-profit community for atheists, agnostics, humanists, freethinkers, skeptics and others!