Agnostic.com

6 0

Agnostics: Dawkins Scale, Brietbart Chart or Neither?

If you're not familiar, please see my post:

"Distinguishing The Atheist Agnostic, The Theist Gnostic, The Atheist Gnostic, and The Theist ..."

This is both an academic and opinion poll. First, my opinion, shared by many agnostics.

An agnostic should not be referred to as an atheist

While this opinion is shared by many agnostics we have no illusions we'll change the established vernacular. However, for 90% of the population, the label atheist carries sinister connotations. For them, it is the unbelievers' equivalent to fanatic or evangelical. For gnostic atheists, these parallels are not without merit.

Personally, the Dawkins scale is most applicable (with exceptions) because it indicates the linear range of cosmological ideologies and can be directly compared to political ideas ranging from far left to far right.

My exception is 2-6 describes those who do not claim knowledge, ie agnostics. We should not be clumped in any category which suggests we are gnostics.

Your opinion: Which system, if any, is your preferred classification system and why?

Which system, if any, is your preferred classification system and why?

• 2 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 1 vote
  • 1 vote
  • 16 votes
DangerDave 9 Dec 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I did not vote. Why do I have to keep going through this and continually be labeled one way or another?

We all have them. Sex, race, political affiliations,... They're inescapable.

You have the benefit of denying them but they'll still apply.

It’s so they can put a a sticker on your chest. Makes it easier to round us up later.....where have we seen that before...

I have no knowledge of any god or gods. I believe in zero gods.

Ok, I'll bite.

This is common knowledge. But why comment on a post directed specifically at agnostics?

@DangerDave
I am an agnostic atheist. Waiting for a theist to show me objective evidence there is a god.

@xenoview Fuck Bright Bart. He just isn't so bright. 🙂

@xenoview Okay, but do you have an opinion on the question?

@DangerDave
I don't fit either of them.

IMHO
I would posit that, over time, people move up and down the continuum of “non-belief”. These reasons for this movement include mood, maturity, relationships, situational context, education, etc. Add to that the variability between individuals. Maybe a better indicator would be if you are active or passive in your “non-belief”.
It feels like the whole naming thing is an intellectual exercise that doesn’t add much value. A rose by any other name is still a rose.....

I've always been an agnostic centrist myself. I could "suspend disbelief" at an early age or, in the case of my preteen years, fake it for the sake of my family.

Still, for agnostics there is the stigma of atheism. This was brought up in my linked post by several fellow gnostics. This is why I posited the question and why I added the last question for the gnostic atheists who'd have to chime in somehow.

I understand gnostic theism very well in many forms, much more than their atheist counterparts, but this site has been quite an education.

@DangerDave it’s all part of conversation. Curious about the term atheist having bad stigma. It is from the religious side, in respect to those not like us, pagan, gentile, and whatever the Muslims call it are basically the same. Maybe we just need to hire a PR group
🤔

Ah John, tragic loss

I am what I am and that is what I am. Much more important to me is that I am honest, ethical, empathetic, kind and helpful when ever I am able to be helpful.

I would prefer a "gullibility" scale, but that's just me, I suppose.

If I choose to worship elves that live in unused shoes, well, that can not be disproved. So, where does that leave the agnostic? Do they have to make room in the religiscape for my shoe elves too?

Depends. Elven worshippers are some of the nicest people I've met. It'd depend greatly on how your beliefs affected your behavior, a reason I generally can't accept a gnostic of any kind...but that's just me

Write Comment

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

Similar Posts

Categories

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:562277
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.