Agnostic.com

14 5

Are you a Humanist?

If you're unsure who qualifies, see the photo for the brief 10 Commitments or the much more detailed tutorial on this site:

[agnostic.com]

Of course, comments are welcome. Being Humanism is a philosophy, your disagreements are too.

Are you a Humanist?

• 38 votes
  • 3 votes
  • 5 votes
DangerDave 9 Dec 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Perhaps akin to motherhood statements, Kristin Wintermute's observations that,

"Without a definitive set of beliefs, dogma, or scripture, humanism appears nebulous, which is the main reason we at the American Humanist Association Center for Education have developed the Ten Commitments."

are more honoured in the breach than the observance.

While I didn't know that, it seemed obvious.

Some still manage to miss the point though. It is the individual to define "good" and "better", for instance.

Perhaps the omission of the word "will" might have made that clearer but, again, I'm not one to nitpick over the obvious.

my response and critique of these commitments can be found here In answer to @'s post
Are You A Humanist?
, for those who may be curious.

You get a hard on, being the "one" who defines what category people should be in. You want to be the "one" who defines all the labels. You get your panties in a bunch calling all sorts of us "gnostic", but by posting these definitional posts (and you have done several), it is you who is the "gnostic". When you read this particular list is not hard to note you personally do not live up to at least two (Humility, Empathy) and likely others but we do not know you well enough to say. I said it before, you are a hypocrite, a narcissist and a hum bug. Oh, and now you are going to report me to the powers to be and the FCC.

Nicely said. To be reported by this poster should be worn as a badge of honour on this site. I suspect admin is wise enough to see what goes on here.

@David1955 Actually as defined by this site and the commitments' website.

And David, more strawmen and ad hominems? Seems you'd have learned by now. Oh well. Some people just don't. Or can't.

@DangerDave That's Mr. David1955 to you.

@David1955 Won't happen. Ever πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Another label?

Well, I talk about facts, which require words, which in essence are labels...

You're just pissed for being pegged for what you are...

...if the foo' shits...

Humans are too juvenile to work together towards a common goal. They also have no respect for mother earth

@SocialDarwin The majority, but thankfully not all.

@DangerDave facts? Puhleese.

@SocialDarwin, @LenHazell53 I have hope for our descendants...if they can just get past PC and focus on the critical issues, especially their own survival

@DangerDave are you sure you mean predecessors? that would seem a little redundant.

@LenHazell53 Correct and corrected. πŸ‘

Just innately good humans writing down their morals, again.

Mvtt Level 6 Dec 30, 2020

...and some innately evil voting anonymously, most just passing over the question πŸ˜‚

@DangerDave And aren't you the judgmental pompous gnostic!

Ist at the end of a word means: a follower of a distinctive practice, system, or philosophy, typically a political ideology or an artistic movement.

I personally am not such a big fan of the word human. There are those that have labeled ourselves as god for 1000s of years. I might would consider being called a "godist" maybe spelt, "goddist" before I would consider being labeled a humanist.

Word Level 7 Dec 30, 2020

I completely understand. I think few would, even amongst unbelievers

β€œThere are those that have labeled ourselves as god”
So... Narcissist?

@Mvtt I am god of my destiny and a few...hundred beings among the countless populations of the fantasy worlds I create.

I guess I'm an evil god in that I haven't even bothered to name them all.

@Mvtt nothing narcissistic anymore that a person accepting the labels: human, homo sapian, people or person.

I can understand that there are those, even historically, that would use the label "god" as a means to show themselves as a higher or better status than others.

Nonetheless, "god" as a label for us as being the definition for what a God thingie is, is no different than labeled as human.

Add some existentialism ( There are no excuses ) and some pragmatism (Success has value ).

Being a philosophy, you can pick and choose what works for you.

Being a spiritual humanist, I disagree with some of the stipulations on religion as stated on [humanists.international] which aren't included on this site's tutorial or in the 10 commitments

But then there are aspects of SH I disagree with as well.

@DangerDave I thought you said elsewhere this is not an echo chamber, yet you are cutting and pasting you own responses to multiple comments?

No I am not if going by this definition.
It demonstrate far to much black and white thinking and if adopted universally would leave itself open to dangerous fundamentalist interpretations.

Being a philosophy, you can pick and choose what works for you.

Being a spiritual humanist, I disagree with some of the stipulations on religion as stated on [humanists.international] which aren't included on this site's tutorial or in the 10 commitments

But then there are aspects of SH I disagree with as well.

@DangerDave I have elaborated on why I find these "commitments" so disturbing in a seperate post, suffice to say here that who ever wrote this nonsense is attempting to turn humanism in to a form of secular religion, and where you have a religion you will get grand inquisitors.

@LenHazell53 Let's hope it doesn't come to that. After all, we already have gnostic atheists.

Not at all! I don't like their diet. Vegans eat vegetables. Carnivores eat meat. I shudder to think what Humanists consume…

Every time I try to be serious... πŸ˜‚

The following is a better description of Humanism;
[humanists.international]

Agreed but that's even more detailed than this site's tutorial.

I've learned from experience a citation of over a couple of pages will go unread.

There are too many free-loading lumpenproles posing as communists and it makes the far left look like rioting strawman .

I used to believe I was but this is too much politically loaded nonsense from far left Christianity.

I can support basic human rights without forcing other people's children to memorize pronouns and juggle plastics that were never compatible enough to recycle in the first place.

I left Christianity because it was never my fight in the first place.

Not really. You don't need any religion to be a decent person

I am an agnostic atheist humanist.

I am a Secular Humanist.

Wait a minute. Where is the 'None of the above' option?

Try Unsure/Other

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:564557
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.