Agnostic.com

17 3

Is enough enough? Time to ban assault rifles?

In the wake of the latest horrific mass shooting (in Las Vegas), it is finally time to ban assault rifles in the US? Other guns?

• 9 votes
  • 14 votes
  • 11 votes
Admin 9 Oct 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Fully automatic rifles have been made illegal for private ownership in the US since 1986, and a ban on all privately owned firearms would be nowhere near enforceable given the millions of them currently in circulation. While I do not believe anything is sacred in this world, I was forced to go with option 1 as it's the only option of the three that is the most consistent with reality. The second choice is already law, and the third is just wishful thinking that is on par with blind belief in a deity.

I noticed you reacted to my comment on this post. It was five years ago, back when I was not very pro 2A.

@Tejas I figured the timeframe probably factored in there somehow, so all good. Once upon a time I myself was a raging gun control fanatic, until I grew up and started reading more books on history.

The word ban is the problem. All guns should be regulated and all assault rifles should be banned.

By "all guns", I mean all guns designed specifically to kill other people. That would include all semi-automatic and fully automatic weapons. Such a ban was implemented in Australia in 1996, after their worst mass shooting, and they have not had a single mass shooting (defined as 4 or more deaths per incident) since than. By contrast, by the time of the Las Vegas mass shooting in 2017, resulting in 59 deaths and over 500 injured in less than 10 minutes, , the number of mass shootings in the U.S. already numbered more than 200, so far, for just that one year alone.

Are you under the impression thst you can buy automatic rifles like any other fire-arm? Or do you think that AR semi-automatic type rifles are fully automatic?...also, you shouldn't have the only negative answer require that people call anything sacred.

When you look at the total population of the USA and further look at where the bulk of gun murders are happening, it suddenly is striking that the bulk of the murders are in big cities and are mostly drug and gang related. Cities like Plano, Texas and Lewiston, Idaho (where I live) are armed to the teeth with the best military style weapons available to the general public. Do any of you even know what the consequence of this well-armed population is?
Our gun crime rates are among the lowest in the entire world, lower even than most European countries that have outright bans on private firearms.
This is not conjecture, it is reflected in annual police statistics.
Guns are not the problem.
The people who wield them are the problem.
They walk the streets even after they murder people.
Time off for good behavior.
Early release.
They know better than to move to these small, well-armed towns where breaking into someone's house can easily result in being shot.
On the subject of magazine capacity, the AR15 can use a 30 round magazine and with a home invasion with multiple intruders that might well not be nearly enough ammunition.
What kind of world do you want?
A world where people who can be trusted are armed and ready or a world where they are disarmed and at the mercy of criminals who ignore the law and are armed?

I'm fine with people owning bullets, and I'm fine with them owning guns, but no putting bullets in guns.

I just have to laugh and comment that at the time of writing this post, the vote breakdown is 666.

I came a long way from a young idealistic blue Mohawk anti gun teen in the 90s, to a trained gun carrying fed. This will always be a hard topic, but based on my own experiences and living abroad in several countries, I will ALWAYS side with our 2 amendment. Always.

Sound choice friend.

I feel horribly for anyone affected by the mass shooting in Las Vegas. Not that it counts for much, but my thoughts are with you.

To those on either side of the gun control debate, nothing major has changed with gun, ammunition, or ammunition storage capacity ownership laws after the most recent mass shootings. Nothing will change after this one. So don't waste your breath, or your time, typing. Nothing is going to change after Las Vegas.

Columbine
Sandy Hook
Pulse
Aurora Theater
Congressional softball practice
Virginia Tech

Maybe things changed on the local state level, but no discernible changes at the federal level. So, once again, save your breath and your time.

Also, those that send their thoughts and prayers (me included) are about as helpful (in the current political climate) as those who call their representatives. I get we all feel helpless, but to be honest we are. And we need to feel that. But that said, wanna help? go give blood. There is something concrete you can do.

I hate with a passion weapons of all types. I hate that we live in a world where it's a necessary means of defence. I couldn't believe I was voting no. The 2nd amendment is sacred. I don't trust our government won't ever become so corrupt that we lose all our civil liberties. I don't believe we're there now, but after Trump got elected, I no longer trust that there are enough citizens in this country smart enough to counter the dumb vote. I don't believe that people are willing to investigate the information they're being fed. They read it, they heard it somewhere, and that guy over there said it, so it must be true. We are sheep, and we are being treated as sheep deservedly. It's just my opinion, not a fact. I'm open to people with other views to convince me otherwise.

You're a brave man for voting that way. I too would prefer to live in violent free and weapon free world, but that is merely wishful thinking and does not represent reality though, so in the meantime I shall hang onto my guns.

When it comes to guns i'm a firm believer in the second amendment, but at the same time i don't believe in open or conceal carry. I think people should be allowed to own weapons for home defense and be allowed to have them in their vehicle.

Tejas Level 8 Oct 2, 2017

In the wake of this Horrific Mass Shooting. It is only Logical that some action must be taken that will getting access to weapons that cause this kind of Terror out of the hands of civilian. That weapon is designed to do one thing, to kill as many people as possible, quickly as possible. In order to get any reasonable handle on this on going terror tactic in this country, before it happens again, & it will happen again.

I am o the fence, I believe in carrying a gun for personal protection and hunting, and maybe for sport if you have the right qualifications, but there needs to be high standards of licensing and training. And to qualify this, I don't own guns and I'm not really interested in it. There is a lot of repsonsibility to owning a gun that people take for granted, but that is another issue. Las Vegas is apparently a really relaxed place on gun laws and it is really sad a guy was able to take multiple, high powered weapons into a hotel room and nobody noticed anything. Unfortunately that is a big thing, being on the lookout and catching people with suspicious behavior. That would be easier if the laws weren't so relaxed there. You would think a place with so much drinking and gambling going on, it would make sense to make guns extremely limited other than armed security. We have to get past simple talking points on both sides, and most importantly we have to work toward removing the influence of the NRA on politics.

mtn85 Level 2 Oct 2, 2017

Responsibility is your key. If responsibility frightens you, then Please don't own a vehicle or gun, keep in your comfort zone. Stay safe.

I don't even agree with Hunting Sports. Or at least the Laws should be stick enough if one needs self defense and certain survival tools only for food only. I do not agree with Hunting Sports. That has no respect for other animal Life that have a right to live on this Earth also. It was always told to me that if we look to God, he protects us. Goes to show how Religious people doubt God for their own Protection though? Hypocrisy!

I don't know how private citizens/civilians can a license and a permit to carry assault rifles . . . but

I'M NOT GOING TO DIE WITHOUT A FIGHT! I WILL NOT LET MY FAMILY GET SLAUGHTERED BY THE MINDLESS FANATICS OF THIS WORLD.

In the Philippines we have a NGO (Non-Gov't Org.) called PRO-Gun or Peaceful, Responsible Owners of Guns who's motto is "Fight crime - shoot back!"

While anti-gun ownership advocates has this to say: "Let buy guns be bygones"

Been wondering who said this quote: "The world is fine. It's the people who are in danger"

From Murphy's Law: A Smith and Wesson beats Four Aces"

At this point, I don't even want people to own muskets.

A peace advocate! please watch your back

Look I understand that my opinion is just that an opinion. That being said, or typed, I believe that assault rifles and automatic hand guns should be band. I own a 22 when I was a kid and we kept it up at my grand parents place in Ovido and I used it for target practice and then hunting when I got older. That's how, in my humble opinion, rifles and even hand guns should be used not as away to savagely destroy a deer or a boar. Assault weapons belong in the military and only the military and some special police/law enforcement units not with citizens that do not have any regard for their fellow citizens or the mentally handicap that do not understand right from wrong.

Yes, I agree. Even policemen are considered civilians and only those in the SWAT group are allowed to carry assault rifles "in the line of fire."

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:597
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.