Agnostic.com

35 1

How do you handle the loss of a loved one without believing in an afterlife?

Admin 9 Aug 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

35 comments (26 - 35)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Enjoy the memories. If you believe in the physical laws of the universe, particularly quantum, the very fact that a person ever existed has change the course of the universe. I am thankful that I knew these universe changers.
Mourning will go through its stages no matter what you believe.

Any personal loss, particularly of loved ones, is a loss. I go through a period of mourning just like anyone else does, but with a couple a major differences. I know the mourning is for me and that hole that has opened in my life, not for the person who died. My feelings about that are that they have been removed from life and are no more.

As for the mourning, it must run its course. It is longer and sometimes deeper for some than others, but that too passes.

This was hard for me twice this last year. The best I could do was remember that in this beautifully limited experience we call life, I was so lucky to have them. We are nothing but a tiny little blink in the eye of history and I was lucky enough to have been born when and where I was and to know these people. How beautiful.

think ,do your own thinking.

I'm still trying to get a handle on that. I'm an only child who was raised by a divorced mother. She died in May 2011 and I'm STILL grieving her. We were very close; best friends even. She's the only person I've ever had in my life that was 100% trustworthy. My adult kids mostly ignore me unless they want something. I'm very lonely, no friends, don't get out of the house much. I read a couple of books about dealing with grief after she died, but they didn't help all that much. Nobody around me ever wants to even talk about her, like she never even existed.

Not that long ago my Mother passed away. I did not handle it well. So I went to a grievance councilor who helped my out a great deal. But I still miss her every day but over time I get a little bit the pain of the loss gets better. But I also realize that I will never truly get over the loss.

depending on who it is, i'll probably get a tattoo in their honor

tell myself that they enjoyed their life as much as possible and move on and occaisionally reminisce.

I'd be pissed off if he hasn't been paying his life insurance

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:77
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.