Agnostic.com

17 2

Where did you learn ethics and morality?

Admin 9 Aug 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My mother, family, friends, community, and probably some from Sesame Street and such. Anyone who says that you need religion to have morals or ethics is not just lying, but is downright scary as well.

I believe I first learned empathy from my father and the way he treated other people and animals. My ethics came from that empathy as did most of my morals.

From my parents and by experiencing (either directly or vicariously) the outcomes of various actions in society.

Zster Level 8 Oct 8, 2017

Parents, other people, life experiences, how i like to be treated, a bit of everything

It just came natural. If I wouldn't like something done to me than I don't do it to other people. I simply weigh out the pros and cons of my actions and go from there.

I read a lot as a kid, I think that influenced me a ton. I was abused as a kid, but didn't grow up to be an abuser. Why? Well, I saw it was wrong 🙂 and I had facts to back me up from my education. My mom, while religious, was also a hippie chick that loved everyone and showed me all people are equal.

Not in church! Mostly from my dad

Morality evolves slowly over time, and it adapts differently in different cultures. We are to some degree a product of that culture, and through youth and adolescence, we build our morality. We definitely don't start off moral, but over time we begin to understand and accept the morality within our culture. We can also predict how ethical and individual is likely to be based on his/her behavior early on. Source provided below.

my mother, my friends, culture, my instincts.

You either are moral or you're not , if your not you're soon found out and excommunicated from your group

Tommy Level 3 Sep 26, 2017

Same as Mr.GoodMan and most of you guys

Family, elders, school, maturation, TV shows such as Good Times, and Sesame Street; human resources training and management training.

From my parents

From my parents.

My parents were moral. I was raised in a moral household. Morallity came as 'standard'.

I probably learned a lot from Sesame Street and Star Trek, during the 70s.

A conscience is innate within us, as we are social creatures, but we can reason what is moral based on how out actions affect people around us, it it's good for society, etc.

Catholic schools through 9th grade, including boarding school and at home.

Ron Level 1 Sep 4, 2017

I don't agree that Catholic school taught you your morals, at least I hope it didn't.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:80
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.