Agnostic.com

104 9

How to deal with religious family and friends?

Being an agnostic is especially challenging when you're surrounded with religion family and friends. Often they will try to convert you to their religion, become hostile towards you or even disown you. What are your thoughts on how to retain a good relationship with religion people?

Admin 9 Aug 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

104 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Honestly I think that if they can't accept me as I am then they aren't good enough for me and they never really loved or cared for me in the first place.

So far I just don't talk about it. I just started telling certain cousins who I know that are atheist that I am as well now for comfort. I'm not sure how to handle it once everyone knows I'm agnostic, just say "feel free to disagree" I guess.

I only retain good relationships with people I value, family or not. No one that loves or cares about me will attempt to do those things. Those aren't people I want in my life.

If I respect them I just don't bring up our differences. If I do not respect them I avoid seeing them.

They believe what they ant, I believe what I want.

we just don't talk about it much, just talk about other topics instead

I just smile and tell them I love them. What else would you do? My personal beliefs are my own, and I value their right to believe what they want.

I politely explain to them that while our views may be different , I don't respect theirs any less. If they are persistent and/or inquisitive, I may discuss the reasoning (questioning and considering other possibilities) behind my views, but not in a way that attacks what they believe. I may even share a story, because they help people visualize and empathize better, and they don't usually cause people to feel personally attacked or insulted.

I'm not trying to be disrespectful. I'm just asking, do you really respect their beliefs or are you just telling them that not to cause friction? My extended family knows I don't disrespect them as people, they know I love them, but they also know I have no respect for their beliefs. They sure don't have respect for mine, and I feel no obligation to hide my dislike of theirs.

I let people believe as they choose, however, if they begin imposing their views on me, I politely explain to them that while our views may be different , I don't respect theirs any less. If they are persistent and/or inquisitive, I may discuss the reasoning (questioning and considering other possibilities) behind my views, but not in a way that attacks what they believe. I may even share a story, because they help people visualize and empathize better, and they don't usually cause people to feel personally attacked or insulted.

Well my grandparents they're super religious and they don't know I'm atheist so I just go along with whatever they say so there isn't any drama because if they were to find out they probably would try and convert me

While I don't suppress the fact that I'm agnostic (although I often have to explain it), I do find myself biting my tongue when faced with people I know telling me what God had meant for me or those who have wronged me. It's rather annoying since these people know I'm agnostic, yet ignore that fact. It's like an implied statement of "I know you're agnostic, but you're wrong, and God has a plan for you anyway."

It's quite simple I don't. I have a family of religious zealots I do not communicate with them at all. As far as friends I choose them wisely. Religion has no place in my life.

Enjoy the people and the Holliday... have respect, if it’s not returned let the bad behavior be on them.

Its not possible for me to have any kind of relationship with my family. As members of the cult that is Jehovahs Witnesses they are to treat me as one who is dead. They have been hugely successful in doing this. No form of communication of any kind for years.

Ball is in their park. I'm honest and open, I won't call you a fool to your face nor insult you.....if you do that to me gloves are off. My mom who did all sorts of vol work with the poor, hospitals and at the county senior home and was always there when others had a loss or in need. She had terminal cancer and some christian put it into her head it was a punishment for not going to church, which was my dad influence. She refused to tell me because she knew it would be hell to pay for that person.

My family is religious in varying degrees. It bothers some of them that I do not believe because they believe in an afterlife and they think I will not experience that afterlife with them. While it is a nice story, I believe dead is dead, with the exception of an energy signature, however, I do not wish to hurt their feelings, etc, because I do love them, so I tend to just keep my opinions to myself for the most part and allow them to believe as they desire. They know that I generally don’t believe in God, but I save my searing commentaries for the offensive stranger instead. In some ways, I envy them their belief because it gives them hope by having a “higher power” by which to make their appeal when life is hard. It is a hard world without hope. I do not wish that on anyone. I cannot, however, suspend my disbelief and believe just for the sake of finding hope.

I completely don't worry about it, and am jovial about my atheism. They will learn quickly that they really don't want to get into it with me, so they won't bring it up the subject around me, period.

I find that if you want to maintain any type of relationship with family members who are religious, you have to not have "discussions" with them about religion. There are so many other things you could be spending your time doing and talking about.

It depends very much on the person you are talking to. As a practising atheist I have very few friends who have religious beliefs. Some of them I can argue with and get them to admit that they don't really believe anything but follow the customs of their culture, or enjoy taking part in the ceremonial; one or two others I avoid talking to about religion because the are a bit fragile and I don't want to undermine them in any way, so we just stay off the topic. No-one has ever tried to convert me, apart from Jehovah's Witnesses, who I like to argue with sometimes, but that may be because I live in the UK where religion is not an issue.

Most of my friends are accepting and we just don't talk about it, but for the die-hard religious fanatics that you can't escape from I recommend bullshitting. I have told my super religious grandparents that I feel closer to 'God' by meditating on the bible instead of going to church with them. Besides that when they start just smile nod and change the subject. If they truly believe that you will go to hell and they really love you, of course, they will never stop bothering you.They think they are saving your soul either never speak to them again or let them think you are one of them.

I try to stay out of it by stating I don't discuss religion, money or politics. If they persist, I repeat the same statement in a calm voice. My immediate family wasn't religious but other parts of the family are, and we have just drifted apart. I do not get embroiled in conversations that can escalate. If they continue, I leave the discussion or area.

I was once a religious person in my younger years. I was taught that it was a part of my duty to evangelize and try to convert people.
For a time I bought into it too until I realized that many people were saying this prayer to get rid of those who did. Very few lives actually did change, and it most of it was not so much a love for one's fellow man as was advertised, but in reality, it played out to be all about ego and brownie points "for the kingdom" which was basically the church social club.
So many people have been convinced of the reality of the veneer, and some people never look deeply enough to see beyond the surface of it, happy to be told what to believe, and blindly accepting what has been told them without any investigation of it themselves.
I try to remember, that I too was there once, and to extend them sympathy and compassion for the state that they are in.
That being said, when they push I have to remind them that there was a time when I would have agreed, but once an error has been detected, it's impossible to go back to embrace it once more.

Donna Level 6 Feb 10, 2018

My son is a strict atheist in fact he is HIGHLY (he's 12) anti-religious , I am an Existentialist but my ex- my elder daughter's mother is a Catholic and tries to teach my daughter her hocus-pocus. So I made a simple rule and that is ALL RELIGION (Except when pursuing ancient Sumerian religion as an academic exercise and determining their mind) gets left at the front door.

If asked I will state my position. Once everyone knows where I stand there is NO further discussion. Just like politics. BUT if an issue comes up, like prayer in school we can have a discussion, usually the most religious one gets in a huff and leaves. It works out really well, kinds like if ya want to clear the room start farting, they leave. lol

Oddly enough, I don't think that I have any.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:95
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.