Agnostic.com

104 9

How to deal with religious family and friends?

Being an agnostic is especially challenging when you're surrounded with religion family and friends. Often they will try to convert you to their religion, become hostile towards you or even disown you. What are your thoughts on how to retain a good relationship with religion people?

Admin 9 Aug 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

104 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

So far I just don't talk about it. I just started telling certain cousins who I know that are atheist that I am as well now for comfort. I'm not sure how to handle it once everyone knows I'm agnostic, just say "feel free to disagree" I guess.

It is not discussed if at all possible. I know a person who is working hard to convert me, but the harder he/she pushes the harder I push back.

I don't have any.

While my 89 year old mother's still around I'll keep my views on the topic out of any family conversations. They have a hard enough time wrapping their minds around me being vegan.

Ya, that would mess with me too .. gotta have my animal!

I only retain good relationships with people I value, family or not. No one that loves or cares about me will attempt to do those things. Those aren't people I want in my life.

I let them do whatever make them happy

if they don't like me I don't need them

Tell them you've made your choice and it shouldn't impede on their religious views or activities. You're just choosing to opt out of activities that don't suit your religious preferences. Ask them to please respect your wishes.

SamL Level 7 Oct 20, 2017

If they give you 'that talk', ask for equal time and that they answer YOUR questions, of which you have many.

I tell them that they can believe in what they want, but do not try to impose those beliefs on me.

I lightly tease the ones that can take it. I avoid the topic with those that cannot.

I do not get involved with religious discussions, as a rule there are more than 2 involved and I simply avoid responding

I discuss politics, not religion. It's so easy to change every religious conversation to politics, due to religious involvement in government.

And I have a simple blessing for dinner... "Lord, thank you for this food... may it go down good."

I am honest with them regarding my position and if that is not good enough we do not associate any longer. I do not criticize them for their beliefs and expect the same from them. If they wish to debate religion we do so in an adult manner.

If I respect them I just don't bring up our differences. If I do not respect them I avoid seeing them.

It's the most hard time and part of the life especially when you belong to Muslim religious family

Saki Level 1 Oct 9, 2017

I don't. My family doesn't like to be controversial. So I don't talk about the things that would shake the boat. Especially since we live in a very religious and conservative area of Maryland. I'm an outspoken animal rights activist, vegetarian and atheist so I'm pretty alone hear when it come to voicing my opinions and thoughts.

What can you do they're your friends; they're your family, but don't give up they may yet prove trainable.

Be more successful, more affluent, more at peace with your life choices. Then what can they really argue you on?

I am at a point in my life where I come right out and tell them. If they can't accept that and I loose family and friends so be it. I can no long stand their self-righteous attitudes and tell it like it is.

We basically avoid the topic in order to get along. Mom is not religious anymore, but has a god belief. When she takes shots at me, "oh yeah, YOU no longer believe in...", I stop talking. She's gotten better at avoiding that. I am not closeted, but tend to keep my beliefs private.

Zster Level 8 Oct 7, 2017

Avoid topics of disagreement in all conversations. It never ends well with people who are unwilling to examine their beliefs objectively.

My father was super religious. I accompanied him to church when necessary, but had to bite my tongue.
My "aunt" (a family friend) that I took care of as she aged was always pushing me. She had been a missionary to Taiwan for 35 years. Every time I visited she tried to get me to go back. When I took a plane flight to help her visit family, I was sitting beside her. She started in on her quest immediately. I told her that there is no way that I was going to worship anyone that would send most of the humans to hell, and that I did not want to talk about it any more. I put on my headphones and she finally got the message.

i don't give attention

When I was in my 20s and early 30s I would try not to have discussions about religion with my family. Growing up in the south and in a southern Baptist household, religion permeates through and frames most all conversation. So it was tough to bite my tongue. As I get older though, I'm confident about sharing my thoughts and pointing out truth and facts when confronted with religious conversation. I wish I had started this practice earlier now. I'm getting certain family members to criticallly think about their beliefs and be open to questioning their faith. Atheist outreach is necessary, especially in the south, to help advance our society and science. We must speak the truth.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:95
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.