Agnostic.com
45 5

How do you feel about Parler being removed from the Internet?

After being dropped from their app stores by Google and Apple after the Capital protests, hosting provider Amazon announced yesterday that they will be removing free-speech site Parler from the Internet today alleging violent content.

Parler, a communication platform for many Trump supporters, had grown 10x since the US election to the 216th largest US website as of yesterday.

A Trump supporter may ask: Was this action warranted? Is there a double standard being played out for Trump and BLM/ANTIFA/Biden supporters? Do Big Tech platforms like Google, Amazon, and Apple, with a near-monopoly on online communication, have any obligation to be politically agnostic? How is their control of 99.9% of communication apps different from China's government control of communication and dissent?

Note: I personally respect both sides of the debate regarding this event. In the name of fighting what they see as injustice, it seems like both sides have members who cross the free speech line. It is also natural to see the opposite side as more threatening than ones own.

Do Big Tech play fair when it comes to policing potential online violence?

• 63 votes
  • 9 votes
  • 22 votes
  • 4 votes
Admin 9 Jan 9
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

45 comments (26 - 45)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Seems like the admin doesn't want replies because choice not given. But here is my reply to his comment of "if one person" you obviously haven't visited parler.

Mofo1953 Level 9 Jan 11, 2021

All our rights have responsibilities. The goal of all the Amendments and Bill of Rights of to preserve the Constitution and the Society. Those things that endanger either is open for discussion in a reasoned and civil, enlightened dialog. Somethings should not be protected or tolerated. Who is to decide? Well in our country its the Supreme Court and that is where the enlightened civil discussion comes in. But as far as FaceBook, Twitter, Tik-Tok, Instagram, Google, or Apple are concerned and they are private businesses and decide their clientele. The Law protects their right to reserve the right to who they serve. The Republs decided that with the Gay Cake suit.

t1nick Level 8 Jan 10, 2021

Sounds to me like someone is worried SLUG might be next! Just look at the trending groups (Joe Biden Is Not My President, Qanon, Black Lives Matter - Exposing Them, Feminism = cancer, White Positive Sphere)

soulless Level 7 Jan 10, 2021

Parler is a poorly developed app. It's works like Twitter but the pages look like Facebook. It's always checking for updates and captcha is annoying. If you try to use just the website it's got an ugly interface. If I follow a sports page, everything breaks down to politics. If I comment on anything, I get these retarded morons screaming and threatening me. I just blocked them all, stopped commenting on the website. If someone followed me, I'd look at their page and of they were Qanon, I block them. I know it's anti-social but I don't need that. All in all Google Play has the right to list whatever apps they like. They take apps down all the time. I still liked Parler and I found they have a large progressive community, or at least not alt-right and Neo-Nazi. I like this page though and Twitter.

barjoe Level 9 Jan 10, 2021

Seems like a somewhat new issue. They have held to their terms of service and been relatively neutral, but hate speech and support of violence has risen exponentially. I applaud their action. Regardless of party.

Canndue Level 8 Jan 10, 2021

It would have been less controversial if Google, Amazon, and Apple gave evidence of calls of violence and their pervasiveness prior to these bans. I agree that if there were ample evidence of unabated calls of specific violence, the banning of the site has merit - especially if they were materially different from calls of violence during the BLM protest.

@Admin it certainly would be better if they reported. But there is enough reposts and copies of posts to indicate fire amongst the smoke. That’s why I voted “something else”. Though within their rights as “ Private” companies, they do provide public communication to some extent. Needs to be run through FCA

This has gone far beyond fair and balanced!!!

trump has been removed from Twitter and Facebook for inciting seditious and all out anarchy!

Any group or media which supports seditious anarchy should be censored who give any credence to any form of illegal activities that incite and support any form of domestic terrorism agains us!

I did try to make this post neutral but realize that even that could be considered taking sides. This is meant to be a topic of the day for people to give their opinions.

For a group of people who incessantly profess to love the USA and claim to be true patriots, they know absolutely fucking nothing about the constitution.

By gleaning information on persons political positions, is Administration taking names. By taking polls, is that a means of collecting data to provide the fascist authorities when their coup succeeds next? The night time knock at the door might be our door. I won't run because there is no safe place from nazi's. One must stand against them as our military did with the Greatest Generation. Am I being paranoid? Not if one studies history.

Mooolah Level 8 Jan 11, 2021

My position has been crystal-clear for decades, and/or they could show up & ask. At the age of 12 i read 2 things: the quote about "them" coming for everybody while doing nothing, until there was no one to speak for me. And the one about the "triumph of evil".
I have endeavored always to live as if i would rise & speak out if even slightly indicated.

A sense of relief

bobwjr Level 10 Jan 10, 2021

Parler or whomever becomes dangerous when it allows people seriously advocating violence/murder to have a forum. That should be obvious. Violent overthrow of our duly elected government is a close second.
Btw, I guess it's okay for Republicans to REALLY rig the vote (gerrymandering, no or very few polling stations, 'harvesting' ballots, phony ID laws, etc.), then have the nerve to hypocritically and falsely claim fraud.
Sort of like allowing criminals and mentally unstable people to have guns, and then scream 'Second Amendment' when children get gunned down.
But I blame the propagandists, mostly, not the gullible propagandized, for their "divide and conquer" tactics.
(And why use the "agnostic," may I ask? Was that a deliberate slam at some of us? It doesn't even work in context.)

Storm1752 Level 8 Jan 10, 2021

i think i may have heard of it, once......

Wtf are you talking about?

Facebook and other platforms have not done nearly enough to tamp down the proliferation of disinformation. And it's clear that Facebook (Mark Zuckerberg) made a conscious decision to prioritize profits over the good of the country.

They have a obligation not to promote violence

bobwjr Level 10 Jan 14, 2021

"Does" Big Tech play fair.....
Back to school to rehearse your grammar.

Mooolah Level 8 Jan 13, 2021

Just remember that the pendulum swings both ways.

All they have done is make several people with millions of dollars to invest look at the possibility of 75 million potential customers if they can provide the service(s).

What would your opinion be if the attack of free speech cut this website off???? I’m assuming that the same people cheering the shutdown of free speech would be crying because of the shut down on their free speech.

The votes here really help solidify feelings though.

I look forward to the back swing.

I don't know why I'm bothering, but this site getting shut down by "Big Tech" would not be an infringement of my First Amendment right to free speech.

@JeffMurray you say that now.

@CourtJester Are you joking? You do know that companies can't infringe on your First Amendment rights, right?

@JeffMurray try logging onto Parler.

@CourtJester Wow you're slow.

@JeffMurray but it’s factual

@CourtJester It doesn't matter if you can or can't log on to Parler. If doesn't matter if the "BigTech" companies all stopped hosting. None of that can ever infringe on your First Amendment rights. People and businesses can't infringe on your First Amendment rights, only the government can.

@JeffMurray well; if an open platform is created and built to a global platform of speech, then yes. It can infringe on free speech. I would say the same if they were shutting down democrats.

It’s their own company. At the end of they day, they have shown their feathers and they can do what they want. They simply opened the box for other businesses to do the same thing against the other side. I actually disagree with that on either side.

This place is my only social media presence simply because they don’t squash differing views. And my views are quite different from the social norm here. I like the push back. I don’t always put much time into my replies because Jim Beam occasionally hangs out in my free time , but I haven’t seen a lot of censorship here. It’s almost like free speech.

If people can speak, you get to see who they are and others get to make up their own minds. That’s not such a bad thing.

@CourtJester Dude, you still don't get it. It's actually fucking amazing to me that people on your side who figuratively fuck the American flag with how they claim to be so patriotic don't even know how the FIRST fucking amendment to the Constitution works. SMH

@JeffMurray I’m amazed that people like you can’t comprehend the term “free speech”. It’s okay that neither of us likes what the other says. It’s free.

@JeffMurray what exactly Is your definition of free speech? What is your definition in less than 50 words? Just a cut and dry definition.

@CourtJester The Constitution does it in 45, plus includes all the others, too...

CONGRESS shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

PEOPLE and BUSINESSES can't infringe on your freedom of speech. It is only guaranteed to you that CONGRESS won't [while The Supreme Court obviously can set legal precedent that limits it e.g. "To incite actions that would harm others (e.g., “[S]hout[ing] ‘fire’ in a crowded theater.&rdquo😉.
Schenck v. United States, 249 U.S. 47 (1919)".]

@JeffMurray well the “shouting fire in a crowded theater” was from oliver wendell holmes in response to a group of yeddish speaking fellows that spoke against the First World War. They spent the rest of their life in prison because of Holmes’ opinion. That’s a bullshit opinion on a good day unless your goal is to shut down opinions that are not in line with your own.

Fire. Fire. Fire.

Even Christopher Hitchens said that much. Do better.

@CourtJester So you think people should be allowed to say whatever, wherever, whenever, however they want with no consequences?

@JeffMurray 100% Absolutely. Christians can call us retards and we can say the same of them if we so choose. If words hurt your feelings then you have issues that need dealt with that are much deeper than the words them selves.

If you are a fan of censorship, you can go to Iran or China. They would gladly accept your railing against differing opinions.

@JeffMurray why are you against people speaking freely?

@CourtJester So people should be allowed to print whatever they want in newspapers or magazines? Advertisers can lie as much as they want about the products they're selling? Investors and banks can show you false earnings reports to get you to hand over your money to them? Jeff Bezos can publicly offer $1 billion dollars to anyone who rapes CourtJester's mother and posts the video on an advertising van that drives by your house and work all day and night? Employees can publish trade secrets of businesses?

@JeffMurray Well... business have laws in place to protect individuals against deceptive practices. But there is a big difference between businesses advertising and personal opinions. Logical people can see the difference.
That’s just my opinion, but if you don’t understand the difference between Ford motor company and myself, then again; there are some deeper issues that need to be addressed.

@JeffMurray Remember that people aren’t really upset by free speech at all. Weak people are simply scared of it.

@CourtJester
First of all, your side said there isn't a difference between people and corporations in a little inconsequential ruling called Citizens United v FEC.
Secondly, a business isn't taking out the ad, an actual person does it, so why can't that actual person that wants to say that actual thing claim that it's their right to say it? See how your no rules thing gets kinda stupid?
Third, even if you want to claim a "business" can't deceive and that that somehow doesn't contradict your claim that 100% absolutely people should be allowed to say whatever, wherever, whenever, however they want with no consequences, does that mean an individual can deceive people all they want with impunity?
Finally, you didn't address any of my "non-business-related" points. Should billionaires be allowed to put out statements that encourage people to kidnap your mother and get a video of a horse fucking her in the ass by offering a billion dollars to the first person that posts a video of horse ass rape on the new website that champions free speech: Parler2WeAreAllAboutHorseFucking.com?

So what'll it be? Should people "100% Absolutely" be able to say whatever they want without punishment? Or do you agree that there should be some limits to free speech?

Here is an anti Big Tech POV -- a good read

"Cory Doctorow: Neofeudalism and the Digital Manor

[locusmag.com]"

Are such actions morally right? Maybe not.
Is it legal? Absolutely.
This is just my opinion, but the real issue here is one of morality and not necessarily 1A. Platforms like Twitter and Facebook reserve the right to run their platforms as they see fit, and I reserve the right to totally ignore them in favor of a less-restrictive platform. So to me that is more a direct issue of morality than one of First Amendment rights.

SpikeTalon Level 9 Jan 10, 2021

Morality ??? Really spike ?? There is a morality issue on this ??

@Pralina1 Yes. Is it moral to ban someone for expressing views that some may perceive to be "hate speech"? That's the real question that should be asked. I certainly don't think it's a First Amendment issue here. With that said, personally I don't care either way, the amount of time those on the left and right are wasting on that topic is anything short of appalling to me. If I ever feel slighted by a social media platform, I simply delete my account and move on to another, just don't see the sense in complaining about it.

This is a better morality issue 🙁

@SpikeTalon they did not express views . They expressed gasoline on a fire , and rallied the less fortunate brain ways to do their dirty job . In high hopes that trump can remain in power . And therefore , no prison .
Nobody wants that blood on their hands . Or that Shame . It’s simple .
When nfl and nba players took a knee , I did not see any motherf of the right standing w them . 0 .
They were calling for their heads , they were calling to be banned from PRIVATE organizations , bcz “ unpatriotic “. My ass . But whatever . I dident see anyone going out saying , that’s private buisness , that’s immoral , or any as such .

@Pralina1 In reality, no one has a right to either. Twitter may be free to use, but you have to deal with ads then. As for healthcare, that's considered a service, a paid-for service that is. I have a chronic condition that at times can be costly to maintain, but that is my problem though and no else should have to pay for my problem(s). That's called self-responsibility. Affordable healthcare is another topic altogether, and neither the Democrats or Republicans have done much about that issue.

@SpikeTalon man . Insulin is expensive . Testing is expensive . Keeping up w precaution tests and checks is expensive .
Shouldn’t be only YOUR PROBLEM . Should be mine too .
If u can’t afford your insulin , shit happens u know , u can have two f jobs and two kids that suck your blood and money let’s say , and if u can’t afford your care , it’s my problem too .
I don’t want u to drive and have a hypo episode and kill self or anyone ! I want my taxes to go where is important and in good use . Health services for all humans is not a damn priveledge . Should be a right ! Man . I am gonna stop . That’s so sad .

@Pralina1 I'm not taking sides there, and I have openly condemned the riots at the Capitol on January sixth, as well as the rioting last summer connected to ANTIFA and BLM. What you mentioned in your last comment to me equates to a form of bias, depending on what political side you favor you will probably be inclined to take sides against the one you do not generally side with. I think both extremes are absurd and only helping to further the divide more. Regarding some athletes kneeling before sporting events, keep in mind the people who paid for tickets to said events did so with the intent on actually watching sports and not someone making a political statement, keep sports and politics separate. Of course, being I don't care for sports much, that whole debacle over athletes taking a knee didn't concern me much, I largely ignored that.

@Pralina1 You said the obvious, I know how expensive such medications and supplies are. Affordable care and a right to healthcare are two different things, and neither major political party has done much of anything to make healthcare more affordable. If you truly believe healthcare is a right, then I truly hope you are not making any money off of what you do for a living then? If the goal is to make healthcare an actual right, then we need to start with the doctors and nurses and other healthcare practitioners, they should all offer their services free of charge then. You and I both know however that will not be the case anytime soon, and you along with all the other healthcare providers should be compensated for your time and effort. Instead of focusing on making it a right, the focus should be on making it more affordable, as once it's affordable to all then making it a right would not be as important. The cost is the issue there, and not whether it should be a right or not.

@SpikeTalon I can take a pay cut if that means my country will provide affordable health care for all .
Doctors , I don’t know . They went to school for 10 yrs , I went for 6. Most ER hospitalist will work 10 yrs to pay off student loans . R u throwing free education to it ?
Nobody works for free spike . No doctor in countries that national health care is in place works for free . Don’t have to .
We are not barking to take your money . We r barking to make insurance an option , not the only option .
Your government should provide u w the basics plus preventive care and check ups for free / low cost . Nobody should worry if they can stretch their bp meds one more month bcz of cost . That’s how strokes happen .
And guess who is eating that stroke Bill at the end .
Nobody should see blood in the toilet and fear the cost / copayment of colonoscopy . Man . Really .
Who cares if we have stations at space ... healthy citizens are productive citizens and happy citizens .
If my taxes can’t support health and education for all , then I don’t know y I am paying taxes 🙁
Let me go . We had that argument b4 u and I . It doesn’t matter .
I made a lot of money spike this year . Too much 🙁it’s embarrassing . Disease sells . Who knew . U know y ? There are no critical care nurses left . U know y? Total cost for a bsn and a ms , up to 75k on these days I was told by the youngest . Nobody got that money or want to be on debt .
We have no doctors and we have no nurses . Be greatful that the patels and the Ramirez , and the Hassans , and the fratellis are still coming in this country to escape their nightmares , and go to med schools and nursing schools .
Occationally the blacks who were able to get an associates and work the rest online . Those are the majority of your nurses and docs today .
I am done . Stay healthy . Eat right . Diabetes is not a joke . Check your feet daily . Your eyes twice a year . Take your meds . Keep snacks ALWAYS and everywhere around u .
Peace out ✌🏻

@Pralina1 I don't expect anyone to work for free, and that was my point, making healthcare an actual right will not solve the problem, the focus should be shifted to finding ways to make healthcare more affordable for all. I'm not opposed to a Government funded health plan, just so long as such a plan remains a choice and is not forced on anyone. On the taxes part, maybe we need to come up with a more viable solution to the problem than just more taxes? Apparently, the system in place currently is not doing not enough (system meaning taxpayer funded programs, people are still suffering despite the social welfare programs already in place). If you think you made too much money for just doing your job that you are embarrassed by it, then maybe ask for a pay cut from your boss? If you aren't willing to do that, then I'm not quite convinced you are embarrassed from it.

We have no Doctors and nurses you say? That sure isn't the case near me, my local health network has a load of healthcare professionals that work in a huge medical complex. Becoming a physician usually means making a decent living, so I'm not too worried about there being a lack of those going into that field, and those coming from other countries to be physicians do so as they know where the money is at.

Okie dokie, thanks and take care.

@Pralina1 One quick question...

A few years back I was active on a chat forum called FireChat, and once did a post explaining why I thought abortion procedures should be kept legal in the US, and that post got me suspended for three days. Nothing vile in said post, I merely offered points as to why abortion should always be legal, and it got me suspended. So my question is, do you think I was being a "dick" just for trying to make rational points for keeping abortion legal and that I deserved to get suspended? If your answer be no, then I'd say that your claim above that those who get censored on social media do so for being dicks is not always the case, sometimes someone may get censored unjustly, and I think that's the core of the problem when it comes to the social media censorship debate.

@SpikeTalon u shared your opinion about abortions . U did not rally people to go get one . U did not make them believe that if they don’t get one , horrible things will happen to them and their country . That’s that .
We have nurses . We don’t have high tech / critical care nurses . Big difference .
Convincing nobody , not the goal . It is quiet embarrassing for some of us who worked w a new disease to know that we made a lots of $$$ while r favorite restaurants lost their jobs , r favorite local spots closed for ever , and r grocery store workers made no money more than usual but were exposed daily to same possibilities as we . And no gear / suits for them .

I don’t have a boss . I work for my self under the hospital umbrella / policies . I don’t have to work more than 8 shifts a month if I don’t want to . I can stay home . I did and I do bcz is the right thing to do on time of crisis . There were no extra money . ( as they shouldn’t ). There is 80 hrs a week , every week bcz of great need and not enough nurses to manage vents etc . Labor law have to pay me overtime . Getting my body to work every day was my law . My decision .

@Pralina1 So in other words you think it was wrong of FireChat to censor me then?

@SpikeTalon yes .

In other news , I just finished reading same post at slug , all comments , then I ventured to research Parler and minds and owners and ceos . Parler ceo is for the birds .
I stoped after reading his efforts to promote no masking w covid . I am done . U won’t understand a word I am saying . And that’s fine .

@Pralina1 Good to hear you think that was wrong of FireChat to censor me like that, and I can assure you that I did not push women to get abortions, only tried to make a case for why such procedures should be kept legal was all.

Thought you said you could not access SLUG due to a firewall or something? You make an account on there or just browse the site? Personally I do not care for alternative sites like Parler or GAB, too many whack jobs on those platforms. I do like Minds though, as the creators of Minds are working on allowing content creators to monetize their efforts, and I have contributed cyber security/technology etc posts on there that received quite a bit of feedback from fellow members. It's not just about politics on Minds, and I like that.

@SpikeTalon I couldn’t access at work . I can access from home on my phone . I do not have accounts . Trolling , no time for that . Same reason I don’t have accounts on christian loving sites . What’s the point . I am not a Christian and I am not a conservative .
I have nothing else to say in the future on this admins posts .
I ve seen all I need to see . I do wonder AGAIN at this point , y he maintains this site here , a site full of people like me , and once again I ll have to evaluate how safe I am here .

How the hell would I know. I don't give a rats hind end if they close down one site. A new one will be created in a day or so and they will all congregate there. Problem pushed off for another day.

Donna_I Level 8 Jan 10, 2021

'Not okay' is gross understatement. This is further evidence of the attempted Fascist/Communist (yes they are functionally identical) coup. It cannot be tolerated and if our Federal government authorities don't come to their senses and nip this thing, this high treason, in the bud, we are on the verge of another civil war.

Take that to the bank.

Silver1wun Level 7 Jan 10, 2021

Citing that a site contains some threats of violence by a disfavored group is an easy way to get a site banned. People who feel disenfranchised are a challenge to any civil society as there is always a possibility for an escalation of violence.

@Admin A chronic problem more evident on the Left than Right is the penchant for making a declaration and really believing it to be so merely by personal affirmation; no facts necessary and any offering of factual contradictions ignored. Political fanaticism and theological fundamentalism differ little in that regard.

@Silver1wun "A chronic problem more evident on the Left than Right is the penchant for making a declaration and really believing it to be so merely by personal affirmation; no facts necessary and any offering of factual contradictions ignored." --See what you're doing there?

@Gareth stating an opinion based on my observations. It could be inaccurate, but it's based on over 60 years of paying attention to current events and learning real history; having had many orientations on both ends of the political spectrum.

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 149

Photos 24 More

Posted by Admin Does teaching "white guilt" also cultivate a "white pride" backlash?

Posted by Admin Why not equality right now?

Posted by Admin How's Biden doing?

Posted by Admin How many good friends do you have from other political tribes?

Posted by Admin What did Trump do, if anything, to incite violence?

Posted by Admin How do you feel about Parler being removed from the Internet?

Posted by Admin How do you feel about Parler being removed from the Internet?

Posted by Admin Now what?

Posted by Admin What do you expect to be achieved by this week's pro-Trump DC rally?

Posted by Admin What did you learn in 2020?

Posted by Admin Are Twitter and Facebook's new "Hate Speech" rules fair?

Posted by Admin Is it ok to affirm someone's untrue beliefs?

Posted by Admin Are you ready to reduce your carbon footprint?

• Top tags#democrats #video #DonaldTrump #world #vote #friends #media #evidence #beliefs #violence #god #injustice #racism #humanity #agnostic #Christians #apple #reason #Freespeech #fear #religious #policy #immigration #birth #philosophy #REDlivesMATTER #culture #racist #moral #species #conspiracy #RrrsshaahDingyCrazyLIMPboss #guns #RadioCultLIARs #conservatives #BrainwashedDittoHeads #CheatWorkersForceDpregnancies #inequality #equality #Asian #weed #books #liberal #tribe #propaganda #films #sex #OneHundredLIARsHere #liberals #FakeNews ...

Members 92,481Top