Agnostic.com
1 1

This most beautiful excerpt from Finlandia..that patriotic piece of music written as an homage to his native country by Jean Sibelius. It has become preferred to the actual Finnish National Anthem and is also a hymn sung in English around the world to the words Be Still, My Soul. Here it’s being sung in Finnish by Helsinki University Chorus. Particularly posted for @rogerbenham apropos our conversation last night.

Marionville 9 Apr 5
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes, exactly. I love it. I've even built it into sets when I've played keyboard on stage, muddling it in with stuff I'm making up. Never claiming it as my own.

I think that far better photos could have been used. I'm sure lots of Finland is similar to parts of British Columbia.

It is from one of my favourite pieces by my favourite classical composer. Sibelius and Grieg are joint favourites.

@Marionville Well we get close on Sibelius!

@rogerbenham I thought it was all that medieval and baroque stuff you liked best. Sibelius is a bit modern and stripped back by comparison!

@Marionville I also like Gorecki, Preisner, Part and Wagner and bits of Mahler! But my true joy lies in Purcell, Tallis and Palestrina.

Recent Visitors 9

Photos 44 More

Posted by Ray13Sharing the birthday spotlight with Johannes Brahms: Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky, born in Votkinsk, Russia in 1840, d. 1893. Waltz of the Flowers: [youtu.be]

Posted by skadoI don’t doubt this may have been posted here before, but just in case... scroll the map to the green dots to listen to radio all around the world. [radio.garden] .

Posted by KWAPELL7for those of U who enjoy pure - unadulterated - Angelic - vocal performers - The following is "Love is like a Dream" - by Dimash Kudeibergen from Kazakstan - he can sing in 12 languages & play 10...

Posted by KWAPELL7for those of U who enjoy pure - unadulterated - Angelic - vocal performers - The following is "Love is like a Dream" - by Dimash Kudeibergen from Kazakstan - he can sing in 12 languages & play 10...

Posted by tipiMerry terraseasonal holidays! Happy United Solstices! Happy HumanLight Day.

Posted by skadoapologies for the FB link; couldn’t find it elsewhere. jueves 3 de diciembre en el conservatorio del Liceo [facebook.com] .

Posted by nicestuffCyril Jackson - Afro Drums [youtu.

Posted by nicestuffCyril Jackson - Afro Drums [youtu.

Posted by GipsyOfNewSpainViolin Virtuoso, Cuba's Alfredo de la Fe been a professional since age 12 with his Salsa Classic Latin New York performing in Montreux, Switzerland and Sandwiched between Me and Pro Dancer Laurie ...

Posted by Rossy92Fora da Ordem (Out Of Order) by Caetano Veloso, who is widely considered to be one of Brazil's greatest songwriters.

Posted by BDairLadama, great group.

Posted by JackPedigoJohn Lennon an obscure piece with political ramifications.

Posted by GipsyOfNewSpainVisiting My Son in his Office.... Life is 'Rican Good... You can not hear the Salsa but Salsa is blasting in the Speakers everywhere in Old San Juan.

• Top tags#video #Song #world #hello #god #hope #musicians #Norway #sing #religion #dance #friends #movies #lyrics #traditional #jazz #religious #children #Europe #Australia #films #youtube #church #earth #reason #wife #death #DonaldTrump #soul #sex #kids #Atheist #hell #parents #Jesus #Christian #mother #money #Russian #USA #book #relationship #beliefs #guns #culture #poetry #atheism #agnostic #laws #community ...

Members 489Top