This most beautiful excerpt from Finlandia..that patriotic piece of music written as an homage to his native country by Jean Sibelius. It has become preferred to the actual Finnish National Anthem and is also a hymn sung in English around the world to the words Be Still, My Soul. Here it’s being sung in Finnish by Helsinki University Chorus. Particularly posted for @rogerbenham apropos our conversation last night.
Yes, exactly. I love it. I've even built it into sets when I've played keyboard on stage, muddling it in with stuff I'm making up. Never claiming it as my own.
I think that far better photos could have been used. I'm sure lots of Finland is similar to parts of British Columbia.
It is from one of my favourite pieces by my favourite classical composer. Sibelius and Grieg are joint favourites.
@Marionville Well we get close on Sibelius!
@rogerbenham I thought it was all that medieval and baroque stuff you liked best. Sibelius is a bit modern and stripped back by comparison!
@Marionville I also like Gorecki, Preisner, Part and Wagner and bits of Mahler! But my true joy lies in Purcell, Tallis and Palestrina.