Agnostic.com
1 2

I saw an interesting post on Facebook about Ask v. Guess culture. This article gives a good overview.
"This terminology comes from a brilliant web posting by Andrea Donderi that's achieved minor cult status online. We are raised, the theory runs, in one of two cultures. In Ask culture, people grow up believing they can ask for anything – a favour, a pay rise– fully realising the answer may be no. In Guess culture, by contrast, you avoid "putting a request into words unless you're pretty sure the answer will be yes… A key skill is putting out delicate feelers. If you do this with enough subtlety, you won't have to make the request directly; you'll get an offer. Even then, the offer may be genuine or pro forma; it takes yet more skill and delicacy to discern whether you should accept." "

Thoughts? I grew up in mostly a Guess culture, with components of Ask. So I have a hard time asking people for anything unless I find it to be reasonable/warranted.
[theguardian.com]

Decieven 7 Apr 17
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Interesting indoctrination much used by religions?

FrayedBear Level 9 Apr 17, 2020

Recent Visitors 11

Photos 22 More

Posted by HippieChick58Regardless of what you think of Oprah, she has staying power. Not necessarily slimming power. Do you remember when she was slim?

Posted by HippieChick58Regardless of what you think of Oprah, she has staying power. Not necessarily slimming power. Do you remember when she was slim?

Posted by pmar044After weeks of exercise and healthy eating, my body got a nasty shock this Fri/Sat with a blowout of rich food, sugary drinks and beer.

Posted by pmar044After weeks of exercise and healthy eating, my body got a nasty shock this Fri/Sat with a blowout of rich food, sugary drinks and beer.

Posted by HippieChick58This is why I try to avoid prescription medications.

Posted by HippieChick58Yoga philosophy

Posted by HippieChick58I eat butter, never margarine.

Posted by walklightlyAt the annual mardigras in nimbin. natural food, healing & equality for all!

Posted by walklightlyAt the annual mardigras in nimbin. natural food, healing & equality for all!

• Top tags#video #Atheist #god #books #DonaldTrump #religion #religious #Exercise #yoga #Bible #book #cults #humans #China #advice #youtube #friends #world #community #Song #alcohol #college #videos #GMO #relationship #holiday #earth #Christian #Catholic #church #religions #MikePence #evolution #ancient #created #faith #society #beliefs #atheism #reason #movies #memories #cultures #culture #kids #weed #medicine #animals #suicide #wife ...

Members 96Top