Agnostic.com
1 2

I saw an interesting post on Facebook about Ask v. Guess culture. This article gives a good overview.
"This terminology comes from a brilliant web posting by Andrea Donderi that's achieved minor cult status online. We are raised, the theory runs, in one of two cultures. In Ask culture, people grow up believing they can ask for anything – a favour, a pay rise– fully realising the answer may be no. In Guess culture, by contrast, you avoid "putting a request into words unless you're pretty sure the answer will be yes… A key skill is putting out delicate feelers. If you do this with enough subtlety, you won't have to make the request directly; you'll get an offer. Even then, the offer may be genuine or pro forma; it takes yet more skill and delicacy to discern whether you should accept." "

Thoughts? I grew up in mostly a Guess culture, with components of Ask. So I have a hard time asking people for anything unless I find it to be reasonable/warranted.
[theguardian.com]

Decieven 7 Apr 17
Share
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

0

Interesting indoctrination much used by religions?

FrayedBear Level 9 Apr 17, 2020