Agnostic.com
3 6

This netflix documentary, "Pray Away," is hard to watch, cringeworthy, painful even. But it hits the mark on the danger, damage, and deception (look Mom! I'm Alliterating!) of the Christian-driven "ex-gay" movement. In many ways this is a thirty years sequal to the PBS documentary "One Nation Under God."

MikeInBatonRouge 8 Sep 24
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The film points out near the end that, regardless of the fact that even though sexual attraction may shift somewhat over the course of a lifetime-- statistically much more common in women than in men,-- sexual orientation is not something a person can consciously choose to change. Behavior may be chosen. Sexual attraction not really. The entire "ex-gay" movement grotesquely misrepresents the issue by treating it as "a lifestyle choice," a matter of chosen behavior. Meanwhile, everyone going through their indoctrination faces similar realities that the same-sex desires in their head do not go away. So they lie, pretend, cover-up, talk the talk, desperate for acceptance and affirmation, meanwhile dying on the inside as they are subjected to never-ending scare-tactic messages about how reprehensible and destined-for-Hell homosexuality makes people. The attempted suicide rate for participants of these groups is roughly double that of lgbtq people overall.

Sadly, regardless of all the movement leaders who eventually get honest with themselves and leave the movement, there is a steady supply of new posers eager to take their place.

We should be allowed to be just the way we are, but if anyone wants to change themselves, well, it's up to them, I guess.

Ryo1 Level 8 Sep 24, 2021

It's very sad how humans have treated one another throughout our history. Even sadder for such a reason. Maybe we are the one's who change this. I hope so.

rainmanjr Level 8 Sep 24, 2021

Recent Visitors 16

Photos 269 More

Posted by snytiger6Coming out ...

Posted by snytiger6Larissa awakens Christmas morning to find ...

Posted by CliffordCook([iowafaithleadercoalition.

Posted by snytiger6Victoria's Secret model, huh ...

Posted by snytiger6I come in peace ...

Posted by snytiger6You need to find peace with your uniqueness...

Posted by snytiger6The only choice made was to be myself...

Posted by snytiger6The day you graduate from...

Posted by snytiger6Trust me. There is no other man...

Posted by snytiger6The bible belt...

Posted by snytiger6Condiment come out...

Posted by snytiger6I think the pastor is coming out...

Posted by CeaselessmindIt works best when you can take a bigoted letter and throw it right back in their faces! I fuckin love whoever did this!

Posted by snytiger6My artistic idol...

Posted by snytiger6You, religions and the holy book

Posted by inigomontoyaI identify as bigender. Most LGBTQ+ people don’t even know what that is. 😂

• Top tags#gay #video #community #transgender #friends #gender #sex #god #hope #DonaldTrump #religion #LGBT #rights #world #religious #relationship #queer #nation #Christian #marriage #children #kids #money #laws #Atheist #church #parents #hello #reason #book #wife #ComingOut #Identity #dogs #Catholic #Jesus #Bible #films #Song #movies #Police #republicans #atheism #vote #death #society #culture #homosexuality #Christians #mother ...

Members 979Top