Agnostic.com
2 1

Not like it matters really, but can I ask a silly question?

“Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit but the highest form of intelligence,” wrote that connoisseur of wit, Oscar Wilde.

Why is it that very often only the first half "sarcasm is the lowest form of wit" is quoted and the other half "the highest form of intelligence" is ignored?

I'm inclined to think that sarcasm/satire is a sophisticated linguistic expression. It is art. But then, language is part of culture. So, if there isn't a culture that appreciates the art of sarcasm/satire, it is received as nothing but offensive, I guess.

Jetty 7 June 13
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think sarcasm is lost on people who read everything very literally. In their defense, text misses all the signals body language can supply to get meaning across.

brentan Level 8 June 13, 2020

@Jetty It is a pity. I think other ways of talking, like use of nuance for another example, add colour to the language.

We've been spoiled. Trump is such an easy target for sarcasm. Try it on religious leaders sometime. There's a lot that's just waiting for a little sarcasm.

Theresa_N Level 8 June 13, 2020

Recent Visitors 8

Photos

Posted by David_CooperBrazil's native language groups

Posted by David_CooperI like language maps - if you find any, please share them here.

Posted by JettyWhen a word has more than one meaning. 🤣

Posted by David_CooperTest your French

Posted by JettyIneptocracy

Posted by JettyI wonder if this works in any other language, though, in Chinese, for example.

Posted by JettyWait! You don't pronounce the L?! 😂

Posted by David_CooperI've often seen these in English, but doubtless the rest of the world does them too.

Posted by David_CooperShrödinger's cat

Posted by misternatureboyAnybody else using Duolingo to study another language? Estoy estudiando español.

Posted by EquusDanceJust read a fascinating article on the origins of language.

• Top tags#languages #world #culture #chinese #college #hello #community #teacher #movies #Russian #hope #cats #teach #guns #insane #poetry #university #church #coffee #friends #wealth #UNsinkable #dignity #Omg #JamesRandi #animals #cultural #flowers #Israel #Christian #fundamentalist #earth #Orientation #limit #suicide #Song #mynameis #monogamy #dogs #broadcast #laws #hell #USA #stars #drug #parents #money #religious #verses #memories ...

Members 85Top