Agnostic.com
4 0

What is this annoying capitalization of "I" all about?
When I write in German, ich is not capitalized but You, Yours, His, Hers and Theirs when speaking of your family. It is the same in French and probably all other civilized languages in the world.
So, why this aggrandizing of the self in English? Any idea?

Spinliesel 9 Sep 10
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Thanks, @Spinliesel for this opportunity to use “beg the question”. It’s a first for me.

If there is an antonym for “aggrandize”, it’s not in my Oxford book of synonyms and antonyms. I’ll have to settle for my decades-old memory of having been told by a Roman Catholic nun that starting a sentence with the capitalized first person singular pronoun is prideful and a sin.

Since I enjoy being aggrandized by whoever wants to accomodate me, I will respond to your query only by saying that due to laziness I occasionally type a lower case first person singular pronoun.

yvilletom Level 8 Apr 22, 2021

I have been under the impression that proper names of things should also be capitalized for sometime now . Cat , Dog , Crow , Table , Northern Boarder of Maine . . . I mean about that , the Northern Boarder is an official place , yet not capitalized 🤷🏼♀️
I could just go on . . .

Dougy Level 7 Sep 18, 2020

I see claims that the origin of this is that it's a Roman numeral and that it was pronounced as "one" rather than "aye". Whether there's any truth in that, I don't know, but it's a good story.

Thank you. I have to think about that.

buncha fking conformists.

i don't believe in capital letters, although i will sometimes use a capital for the name of someone i respect.

My man! I like your thinking.

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 12

Photos

Posted by David_CooperBrazil's native language groups

Posted by David_CooperI like language maps - if you find any, please share them here.

Posted by JettyWhen a word has more than one meaning. 🤣

Posted by David_CooperTest your French

Posted by JettyIneptocracy

Posted by JettyI wonder if this works in any other language, though, in Chinese, for example.

Posted by JettyWait! You don't pronounce the L?! 😂

Posted by David_CooperI've often seen these in English, but doubtless the rest of the world does them too.

Posted by David_CooperShrödinger's cat

Posted by misternatureboyAnybody else using Duolingo to study another language? Estoy estudiando español.

Posted by EquusDanceJust read a fascinating article on the origins of language.

• Top tags#languages #world #culture #chinese #college #hello #community #teacher #movies #Russian #hope #cats #teach #guns #insane #poetry #university #church #coffee #friends #wealth #UNsinkable #dignity #Omg #JamesRandi #animals #cultural #flowers #Israel #Christian #fundamentalist #earth #Orientation #limit #suicide #Song #mynameis #monogamy #dogs #broadcast #laws #hell #USA #stars #drug #parents #money #religious #verses #memories ...

Members 85Top