Agnostic.com
1 2

LINK Will protecting 30 percent of Earth prevent the extinction crisis? | Science News

"Plants and animals are increasingly threatened by human activities and habitat encroachment. One study estimates a million species face extinction within decades (SN: 5/8/19). That’s 1 million distinct, idiosyncratic answers to the basic question of how to make a living on planet Earth, gone ..."

"A global plan under negotiation envisions designating 30 percent of land and sea as protected by 2030 — and 50 percent by 2050 — in order to revive ecosystems and safeguard the diversity of species on Earth, according to a draft text of the agreement under the U.N. Convention on Biodiversity."

"But is 30 percent, or even 50 percent, enough? And enough for what exactly — to slow extinction rates, or to protect everything that’s possible to protect, or something else entirely?"

AnonySchmoose 8 Apr 27
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Anything is better than nothing, since we can not turn the clock back, we have to as much as we can.

Fernapple Level 9 Apr 27, 2020

This is what has gone on near my home for decades, but the Supreme Court just decided it shouldn't happen any longer. Will need to wait and see what Maui County does about it. They've spent more money on legal fees for decades than they would have spent on just cleaning up what causes the injection wells to pollute the ocean. [earthjustice.org]

Recent Visitors 8

Photos 49 More

Posted by kmazfrom a french artist, fabrien barrau

Posted by KilltheskyfairyPlease spend 3 minutes reading this note from William Shatner, the actor from Star Trek: “Last year, I had a life-changing experience at 90 years old.

Posted by KilltheskyfairyDon’t blame me! I voted for Gore! (and Kerry, and Clinton, etc.)

Posted by KilltheskyfairyDon’t blame me! I voted for Gore! (and Kerry, and Clinton, etc.)

Posted by AnonySchmooseAchieving Climate Change Mitigation in the Forest Sector | Frontiers Research Topic

Posted by AnonySchmooseVisualizing the Quantities of Climate Change – Climate Change: Vital Signs of the Planet

Posted by LetzGetReal In “Mermaid” BENJAMIN VON WONG created a scene using 10,000 donated USED plastic bottles then photographed it from overhead.

Posted by AnonySchmooseThe Search for Planet-Friendly Protein | Yes! Magazine

Posted by AnonySchmooseThe Search for Planet-Friendly Protein | Yes! Magazine

Posted by AnonySchmooseWill protecting 30 percent of Earth prevent the extinction crisis? | Science News

Posted by LetzGetRealHi ALL, Been away, lots to do in my real life community, plus family issues in the states were pressing.

Posted by Heidi68Truth from a boy and his tiger

Posted by Heidi68They knew at the beginning of the last century. Just think if we had listened & work toward change starting back then

Posted by JoeBUnexpectedly large herd of Elephants sighted in Borno State, .

Posted by MsAlIts been raining all winter here in Michigan and Im finding it hard to avoid politics by talking about the weather.

Posted by djs64Happy and sad.

• Top tags#climate #video #ClimateChange #environment #world #earth #hope #community #animals #government #society #solar #species #policy #technology #religion #scientific #justice #DonaldTrump #friends #book #death #GlobalWarming #vote #population #ecology #reason #limit #politicians #USA #religious #college #oil #humanity #survival #evidence #economic #Jesus #films #Atheist #Australia #god #military #humans #politics #children #republicans #activism #fear #truth ...

Members 137Top