Agnostic.com
1 1

Are there any other fans of Kate Atkinson here? I ask not just because I think she's a brilliant novelist, but because she often mentions, seemingly in passing, that one or another of her characters is an atheist, and it seems to me that they are often her most likable characters. She does it in a way that suggests it's the most natural thing imaginable, that it's almost not worth mentioning. She's English, and perhaps in the U.K. atheism is indeed unremarkable, but then I wonder, Why mention it at all?

My favorite book of hers (so far) is Life After Life. Wikipedia offers a handy description:

The novel has an unusual structure, repeatedly looping back in time to describe alternative possible lives for its central character, Ursula Todd, who is born on 11 February 1910 to an upper-middle-class family near Chalfont St Peter in Buckinghamshire. In the first version, she is strangled by her umbilical cord and stillborn. In later iterations of her life she dies as a child - drowning in the sea, or when saved from that, by falling to her death from the roof when trying to retrieve a fallen doll. Then there are several sequences when she falls victim to the Spanish flu epidemic of 1918 - which repeats itself again and again, though she already has a foreknowledge of it, and only her fourth attempt to avert catching the flu succeeds.

This illustrates a couple of things that I love about her work. First: She thinks outside the box. Even her Jackson Brodie detective novels are more like character studies strung together around a convoluted mystery plot involving multiple crimes, not all of which Brodie will solve, than traditional murder mysteries. Second: She's great at giving me a real feel for a historical period. For example, rather than just describe how devastating the Spanish flu was, she has it kill off her main character three times. Third: She's not above introducing hints of paranormal phenomena, but she does so without ever suggesting that the universe actually has some sort of intrinsic meaning. If you cringe at any departure in your fiction from a world that strictly follows the laws of nature, this book isn't for you. I personally enjoy the occasional paranormal activity in a novel, or the plot twist that's a bit too good to be true, so long as the author doesn't suggest there's some omnipotent being behind it.

Perhaps most importantly, Kate Atkinson has an ability to put me inside the heads of many very different characters, and she has a wicked dry sense of humor. Is anyone else a fan?

Behind-the-dog 6 Jan 2
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm listening to her second Jackson Brodie novel (One Good Turn) as an audiobook, and I just got to this telephone exchange between the least unlikable member of a certain unlikable family and her thoroughly unlikable :

: , I have good news.
: Oh?
: Yes, I've found Jesus!
: Oh. Where was he?

Surely not the most original dig at Christianity, but I take it as more evidence that Ms. Atkinson is one of us.

Recent Visitors 10

Photos 31 More

Posted by Julie808We of Little Faith I Stopped Pretending to Believe (and Maybe You Should Too) By Kate Cohen.

Posted by dfrossI enjoyed "The Dictionary of Lost Words", a historical fiction about the creating of the Oxford-English Dictionary and the fight for women's suffrage in the UK.

Posted by ReignmondA highly biased selection.

Posted by ReignmondI read this back in 2018. Absolutely loved it. It is an oddly small sized book, so it is good to travel with. [amazon.com]

Posted by ReignmondI read this back in 2018. Absolutely loved it. It is an oddly small sized book, so it is good to travel with. [amazon.com]

Posted by ReignmondA short Sci-Fi that is quite good even though it will only take about an hour to read. It is also kinda cheap. [amazon.com]

Posted by ReignmondLooking again at this book reminds me that I wanted to re-listen to it again.

Posted by ReignmondThis freebie ebook from Gutenberg Press and by the Master Sci-Fi writer Philip.

Posted by ReignmondAt Home: a short history of private life by Bill Bryson. An enjoyable book about everyday things we don't even think about. [amazon.com]

Posted by ReignmondAt Home: a short history of private life by Bill Bryson. An enjoyable book about everyday things we don't even think about. [amazon.com]

Posted by ReignmondJust finished Bomber Mafia written by my genetic 4th cousin on both of our Fathers' side.

Posted by ReignmondI read this back in about 1983.

Posted by ReignmondVery good. I have noticed that 12 step programs are ineffective. [goodreads.com]

Posted by ReignmondActually read this some time ago (46 years) while trying to figure out why I simply could not believe in Jesus or God or anything else I was being told by Bible Thumpers.

Posted by ReignmondThis is one of my very most favorite books.

Posted by Julie808I'm currently reading "The Power Worshippers" by Katherine Stewart. Is anyone else reading this?

• Top tags#book #books #world #god #novels #religion #hope #Christian #authors #writers #truth #atheism #friends #religious #Jesus #scifi #DonaldTrump #Bible #Atheist #christianity #movies #philosophy #evolution #death #earth #humans #agnostic #Russian #media #insane #grace #divine #parents #believer #fantasy #children #testament #politicians #USA #devil #hell #florida #Noah #sleep #community #ghosts #weather #humanity #kids #mother ...

Members 144Top