Agnostic.com
2 4

Birding by Camera

Anxiously awaiting the spring migration? Here are a couple of warblers people in eastern North America (or anyone with a field guide for the region) can practice identifying for now. The first three photos are of the same bird (not just the same species, but the same individual). This is one I hear much more often than see, and this individual does not exactly look like the drawing in my guide, but the yellow patch on its back in the second photo is diagnostic. For the song, imagine you hear a "rising buzzy trill, dropping abruptly at the end."

The next three photos are also of one bird. This one was much less familiar to me. Its song consists of "loud unevenly spaced chips, more rapid at the end."

I've found that using a camera instead of binoculars for birding has advantages and disadvantages. The disadvantages mostly have to do with the difficulties of getting the autofocus to pick out the tiny moving bird in the middle of the frame instead of one of the twigs or branches in front of or behind it (the last photo is uncropped to show how small the birds usually were in the frame), and getting the exposure correct when shooting against a bright sky. The big advantage, of course, is that if you do manage to get a decent shot, you have a record of what you saw. If you look at the field guide and see that you forgot to check for an eyebrow or didn't count the wing bars, you can just go back to the photo.

For those who are interested, I shot these with a Canon 7D dslr and the relatively affordable Canon 70-300 mm f4/5.6 telephoto zoom. But this is a case where a good, long prime lens would be more useful than a zoom (and of course have better image quality). I'm sure I always used 300 mm end for these warblers, and 400 mm would have been even better--you just don't often get very close to 'em.

Behind-the-dog 6 Feb 11
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Very good photographs. On the tech side, I had the same lens. Lets see if I can find the pic. Yup, got it! The other thing, on my 5D you can set the autofocus to the centre of the viewfinder. I suspect your camera will offer the same. Might take a bit of a search through the manual, but well worth it.

1950debris Level 7 Feb 11, 2021

That's one colorful bird! Yes, unless I'm in a situation where a split second makes a difference, I generally keep my autofocus set to the center point (which on the 7D is a little more accurate, or something, than any of the other focus points). If I want the focal point someplace other than the center, I'll press the trigger halfway to focus, then reframe the shot. Too often, if I let the camera choose where to focus, I'm unhappy with its choice. But if the subject is a tiny bird among twigs and branches, even the center focal point will sometimes land on the wrong thing.

Good pictures. I know little about different birds, but enjoy looking & learning.

Recent Visitors 10

Photos 1,015 More

Posted by FrayedBearShared from New Zealand.

Posted by FrayedBearPesticides killing birds?

Posted by FrayedBearI just had to share this!

Posted by FrayedBearIt's taken about 75 years for Australian birds & mammals to work out how to use the imported cane toads for food.

Posted by FrayedBearNo one in Victoria, Australia has heard the White Bellied Whip bird for almost 40 years. Have a listen

Posted by FrayedBearNo one in Victoria, Australia has heard the White Bellied Whip bird for almost 40 years. Have a listen

Posted by FrayedBearGodwit travels 23560 klms from Alaska to Tasmania in 13 days.

Posted by FrayedBearPeregrine falcons in Melbourne Australia live.

Posted by EyesThatSmileMore bird humor…

Posted by FrayedBearMy current house & pet sit has a new bonus.

Posted by OldGoat43 Not exactly a pretty bird, but he can fly like a pterodactyl.

Posted by InsectraA while back I posted pics of woodcock eggs in a nest.

• Top tags#birds #video #Australia #friends #religious #religion #hope #world #wife #parents #god #florida #Canada #death #reason #Song #movies #dogs #species #society #book #hell #animals #books #babies #beliefs #Atheist #culture #kids #money #relationship #religions #DonaldTrump #hello #USA #soccer #moral #NewZealand #Wisconsin #nation #mother #evidence #rescue #holy #college #children #climate #fear #earth #cats ...

Members 114Top