Agnostic.com
5 11

I'm new. I grew up an introvert, but I'm gradually breaking out of that habit by getting over my fear of speaking to others. It's been a long journey, but I don't think being introverted is bad or anything. I just think there are ways to grow in life. There are ways to overcome social fears. I like to research the things I'm afraid of and figure out if they're worth being afraid of, for example.

TimBruneau 3 June 22
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I agree with others who say this is not about social anxiety/fear. I'm pretty much a committed introvert, yet I was a social worker for 30 years. I don't have problems interacting with people, I'm actually considered a very good listener (good thing for social workers) but I relish my "alone time". I do NOT like large crowds but I am able to be in one if I need to, without fear or anxiety beyond being anxious to be OUT of the crowd.

I don't have a desire to be an extrovert. I don't have a wish to be dependent on social contacts for my own satisfaction and sense of well being. "Quarantine" has not been distressing to me, not seeing another person all day is not "lonely" for me, not going out in public is rather peaceful. Watching the "liberate" people carry on about how they need to go out to eat, get a haircut, go to the gym, baffles me.

It isn't a "choice" I made, to be an introvert. It came as naturally as handedness, talent or sexual orientation. I could change those things if I worked at it but the person I would be afterward would not be "ME". I can "act" like an extrovert, mixing with a group, appearing outgoing. I have learned how to do that but it never really fits me and I know it for what it is, an "act".

DotLewis Level 7 June 25, 2020

I imagine you've looked into exposure therapy, but in case not, please do so. It's a tremendous help, especially in conjunction with a good CBT routine and a trusted person to anchor you when it gets too rough.

Orly Level 5 June 23, 2020

More power to you... I'm an ambivert...

That's an interesting idea. It's like you don't have to label yourself as either introvert or extrovert. That's probably what I am too.

Being an introvert is so much more than social fears.

NHjulie Level 8 June 22, 2020

I would say that it isn't even about social fears.

I don't want to stop being an introvert. I don't like most extroverts.

Theresa_N Level 8 June 22, 2020

It's a choice. That's what I think. It's what kind of person you want to be. I like acting like an extrovert when I need to get something I really want or really need. But I'm probably coming from a different place than you Theresa. People grow and experience life differently. I don't dislike extroverts. I just don't like living with them 24/7. lol Yeah, maybe that is the same thing.

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 44

Photos 854 More

Posted by KilltheskyfairyFollow me for more tips…😎

Posted by KilltheskyfairyMe too, me too!

Posted by TheoryNumber3In honor of Eclipse Day.....

Posted by KilltheskyfairyI’m perfectly happy so must be something wrong…

Posted by KilltheskyfairyIntroverts. Creatures of the Night!

Posted by KilltheskyfairyDon’t ring my doorbell!

Posted by KilltheskyfairyThe face helps…

Posted by KilltheskyfairyThe face helps…

Posted by FrostyJim...I have a lifetime membership.

Posted by KilltheskyfairyAnd yet I thrive…

Posted by KilltheskyfairyAnd yet I thrive…

Posted by KilltheskyfairyWell, that deteriorated quickly…

Posted by KilltheskyfairyWell, that deteriorated quickly…

• Top tags#friends #video #world #religion #god #hello #religious #hell #hope #relationship #Atheist #anxiety #money #reason #cats #truth #book #kids #dogs #introvert #Bible #children #humans #church #memes #fear #lonely #guns #wife #books #mother #Song #beliefs #laws #community #animals #sleep #Christian #Friday #movies #media #TheTruth #DonaldTrump #advice #faith #sex #parents #evidence #belief #coffee ...

Members 1,995Top

Moderators