Agnostic.com
3 9

Don't forget the Geminid Meteor shower tonight is at it's maximum. I know, it's cold. Bundle up an get out there.

starwatcher-al 7 Dec 13
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Great photo!

They'd find me frozen by the lake with an awed expression on my face. Pass, I'll wait for the dvd. 😉 Joking aside, I did venture out one winter and catch one, def a cool experience.

Druvius Level 8 Dec 13, 2020

I'll stay inside, I don't want to be hit by a meteorite, again!

AGAIN? As far as I know only 1 person was ever hit by a meteor so you should be famous

@starwatcher-al It's not as cut and dry as that. I was in Japan walking through a very very wide ally between four story buildings, about fifty to seventy five yards apart. Maybe a quarter mile long. Midway a rock smacked me in the middle of my back. I looked all around, I yelled, I assumed someone threw that rock, but it would have been a hell of a hit for that distance. The rock was stony and ambient temperature. I just see nowhere else it could have come from, and it hurt when it hit.
I didn't even consider the possibility until I watched meteor men and they were talking about finding meteors on ice. They explained small meteors can break away and cool as they slow down.
I wish I had kept the rock...I was just mad someone could bean me from so far away I couldn't detect them until then.

@Willow_Wisp Wow, yeah, too bad you did not keep the rock and take it to a geologist. You could have been famous.

@starwatcher-al Weird stupid stuff happens to me all the time. I bought a lotto quick pick and forgot I had, two days later in a town two hundred miles away I bought another quick pick. They weren't winners, but they had matching numbers. Isn't that the same odds as winning, but still losing?

@Willow_Wisp, I'm sorry, I have to say this. Your understanding of "odds" is lacking. That you buy lotto tickets proves that out. As far as the rock perpetrator, what do you think the odds are that he will respond to your yells whether it was intentional or not? Didn't these buildings have roofs that weren't a 1/4 mile away?

My advice to you would be to stop throwing away your money on lotto tickets. Of course if while walking to your car tomorrow, that same rock nails you again, buy every ticket you can find!

@desertastronomer You're an ass hole that just made my block list, which I'll do as soon as I'm fairly certain your stupid ass has read my reply.

@Willow_Wisp Gee, a girl can't even have a little fun.

@starwatcher-al It's always like that, you read your horoscope once in thirty years for the fun of it and some person with a stick up their ass has to take the fun out of it.

Recent Visitors 13

Photos 398 More

Posted by starwatcher-alHey folks, Venus here again.

Posted by levanOur observable universe is 13.

Posted by HathacatA high-resolution enhanced color view of Pluto's moon Charon.

Posted by HathacatIn 1572, Danish astronomer Tycho Brahe observed & studied the explosion of a star that became known as Tycho's supernova.

Posted by HathacatComet Lovejoy disjointed tail caused by solar winds

Posted by starwatcher-alHello there! My name is Venus and I'm starting to appear in your evening skies.

Posted by HathacatThe portrait features the giant nebula NGC 2014 and its neighbour NGC 2020 which together form part of a vast star-forming region in the Large Magellanic Cloud

Posted by HathacatRhea, Saturn's second largest moon and Epimetheus, the smaller moon to the right, against the backdrop of Saturn, its rings, and ring shadows.

Posted by starwatcher-alA new NOVA has appeared in the constellation Cassiopeia. Here is the link to the article in Sky and Telescope. [skyandtelescope.org]

Posted by HathacatJust so you know!

Posted by HathacatThe Twin Jet Nebula, or PN M2-9, is a striking example of a bipolar planetary nebula.

Posted by HathacatNGC 2217 is a barred spiral galaxy located 83 million light years from here in the constellation of Canis Major.

Posted by HathacatHow big Andromeda would be in our sky if we could see it all.

Posted by HathacatSize comparison

Posted by HathacatSeyfert’s Sextet

Posted by HathacatHuge Images Show Majestic Beauty and Violence of Large and Small Magellanic Clouds

• Top tags#video #moon #earth #solar #mars #stars #planets #world #Jupiter #NASA #astronomy #galaxies #god #hope #cosmic #university #eclipse #physics #religion #kids #evidence #movies #scientific #discovery #religious #money #existence #reason #ancient #book #friends #death #theories #children #asteroid #USA #laws #humans #alien #created #community #society #einstein #hello #birth #DonaldTrump #California #parents #youtube #animals ...

Members 521Top