Agnostic.com
3 1

I recently managed to get hold of a book I read many years ago, and was more than a little shocked by it.
I have for many years been a fan of British horror writer Graham Masterton and have collected almost all of his books bar one.
In 1980 under the name Thomas Luke Masterton published a novel entitled "The Hell Candidate" it was a rare flop, possibly why it was released under a pseudonym.
But most contemporary reviews simply claimed it was so unbelievable in it's premise that no one could possibly take it seriously.
spoilers

The story tells of how inept Millionaire businessman, conman and bankrupt Hunter Peale suddenly becomes a a media sensation and TV personality by simply saying ludicrous things while raising millions for charity and then on the strength of his celebrity is persuaded to stand for president as the republican candidate.
His major platform promise is to restart the Vietnam War and reclaim the USA's pride "make American's proud again" is his slogan he openly boast of sexual conquests and adulterous behaviour, while his opponents simply resign, disappear or become terminally ill with a new plague that strikes Washington males not at all randomly. When he is swept to power in a landslide victory a Washington political reporter is contacted by an eccentric loner with a tales of how centuries before a similar thing happened in Europe, with a mad prince being swept to power after making a pact with the Devil to be his avatar on earth and how on that occasion the only thing that saved when world was a papal exorcism .

LenHazell53 9 Nov 22
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I finally found a copy of Graham's novel called Plague from 1977. Found it in an ebook. Was searching for it off and on for some time. Read a bit of it. I think I liked it better the first time.

Plague is not one of Masterton's best novels, true but I still found it enjoyable.
It is from a time when he and his contemporary and rival James Herbert's early books such as Plague and "The Rats" trilogy tried to step away from supernatural horror in favour of social and environmental horror. Speculative fiction extrapolated from current events and historical precedent.
Masterton in later years reworked many of these novels adding supernatural elements, such as vampires etc. to much greater success and branching away from his horror in a separate set of crime, historical and thriller novels published by a different house.

Doesn't a person hypothetically have to have a soul for an exorcism for it to be successful. trump doesn’t have a soul, it wouldn't work, he would still be a scumbag. Lol.

t1nick Level 8 Nov 22, 2020

Gotta' admit , sounds exactly like Trump . Being an atheist , I'm wondering how an exorcism by the Pope would accomplish anything . Perhaps , at best , it might encourage some religious radical to do the job for us . Actually , I've been wondering why that hasn't already happened , Considering Lincoln and Kennedy . I've read he's been looking into putting i office a military man who would do his bidding , if he called for a coup .

Cast1es Level 9 Nov 22, 2020

Recent Visitors 13

Photos 31 More

Posted by Julie808We of Little Faith I Stopped Pretending to Believe (and Maybe You Should Too) By Kate Cohen.

Posted by dfrossI enjoyed "The Dictionary of Lost Words", a historical fiction about the creating of the Oxford-English Dictionary and the fight for women's suffrage in the UK.

Posted by ReignmondA highly biased selection.

Posted by ReignmondI read this back in 2018. Absolutely loved it. It is an oddly small sized book, so it is good to travel with. [amazon.com]

Posted by ReignmondI read this back in 2018. Absolutely loved it. It is an oddly small sized book, so it is good to travel with. [amazon.com]

Posted by ReignmondA short Sci-Fi that is quite good even though it will only take about an hour to read. It is also kinda cheap. [amazon.com]

Posted by ReignmondLooking again at this book reminds me that I wanted to re-listen to it again.

Posted by ReignmondThis freebie ebook from Gutenberg Press and by the Master Sci-Fi writer Philip.

Posted by ReignmondAt Home: a short history of private life by Bill Bryson. An enjoyable book about everyday things we don't even think about. [amazon.com]

Posted by ReignmondAt Home: a short history of private life by Bill Bryson. An enjoyable book about everyday things we don't even think about. [amazon.com]

Posted by ReignmondJust finished Bomber Mafia written by my genetic 4th cousin on both of our Fathers' side.

Posted by ReignmondI read this back in about 1983.

Posted by ReignmondVery good. I have noticed that 12 step programs are ineffective. [goodreads.com]

Posted by ReignmondActually read this some time ago (46 years) while trying to figure out why I simply could not believe in Jesus or God or anything else I was being told by Bible Thumpers.

Posted by ReignmondThis is one of my very most favorite books.

Posted by Julie808I'm currently reading "The Power Worshippers" by Katherine Stewart. Is anyone else reading this?

• Top tags#book #books #world #god #novels #religion #hope #Christian #authors #writers #truth #atheism #friends #religious #Jesus #scifi #DonaldTrump #Bible #Atheist #christianity #movies #philosophy #evolution #death #earth #humans #agnostic #Russian #media #insane #grace #divine #parents #believer #fantasy #children #testament #politicians #USA #devil #hell #florida #Noah #sleep #community #ghosts #weather #humanity #kids #mother ...

Members 144Top