Agnostic.com
8 1

The non-fiction in this group is hard to find. If you are as committed to non-fiction as I am, please post it in this thread.

I will add to the thread with Robert MacFarland’s Underland.

yvilletom 8 Jan 23
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A Beginner’s View of Our Electric Universe, by Tom Findlay.

Available at www.newtoeu.com as a free PDF or in print.

Reviewers say “...easy to read and copiously illustrated....”, “...a comfortable transition from the familiar gravity-based explanations....”, “...unfortunate things have happened as good science has been ignored in the past, but change is now afoot....”, “...another brick in the wall of evidence that will be convincing to the average reader.”

yvilletom Level 8 Mar 7, 2021

The Politics Book: Big Ideas Simply Explained.

This book, another of many in a series by DK Publishing with the same subtitle, connects dots in the work since 800 BCE of many also not-all-dead-or-white-or-male political thinkers. ( available for Kindles. )

The Science Book: Big Ideas Simply Explained.

This book, another of many in a series by DK Publishing with the same subtitle, connects dots in the work of scientists from the beginning of science, 600 BCE to the present — which includes the recent work of mathematicians, aka theoretical physicists, who do not use the experimental part of the scientific method. ( available for Kindles. )

The Philosophy Book: Big Ideas Simply Explained.

In Catholic schools I had too much of the ideas of too few thinkers/believers. One big dot.

In college I had too little of the ideas of a few dead white male thinkers with nothing on how their iideas relate to the ideas of other dead white male thinkers. At no time did I want to read a major work by any one thinker. A few unconnected dots.

This book, one of a series by DK Publishing with the same subtitle, connects the dots of many not-all-dead-or-white-or-male thinkers. ( available for Kindles. )

I'm probably not as committed to nonfiction as you are, but I do take in the occasional bit of science or history in book form. I can certainly recommend Elizabeth Kolbert's The Sixth Extinction as an example of science and history writing shedding light on contemporary issues.

Here is one of my favorite okd time writers on nonbelief. And the book is free!

[gutenberg.org]

Reignmond Level 7 Jan 23, 2021

An interesting view of America.

[amazon.com]

Reignmond Level 7 Jan 23, 2021

MacFarland’s Underland has won many awards, including NYT ‘100 Notable Books of the Year’ and the Guardian’s ‘100 Best Books of the 21st Century’. It explores the Earth’s underworlds as they exist in myth, literature, memory, and the land itself.

yvilletom Level 8 Jan 23, 2021
Write Comment

Recent Visitors 12

Photos 31 More

Posted by Julie808We of Little Faith I Stopped Pretending to Believe (and Maybe You Should Too) By Kate Cohen.

Posted by dfrossI enjoyed "The Dictionary of Lost Words", a historical fiction about the creating of the Oxford-English Dictionary and the fight for women's suffrage in the UK.

Posted by ReignmondA highly biased selection.

Posted by ReignmondI read this back in 2018. Absolutely loved it. It is an oddly small sized book, so it is good to travel with. [amazon.com]

Posted by ReignmondI read this back in 2018. Absolutely loved it. It is an oddly small sized book, so it is good to travel with. [amazon.com]

Posted by ReignmondA short Sci-Fi that is quite good even though it will only take about an hour to read. It is also kinda cheap. [amazon.com]

Posted by ReignmondLooking again at this book reminds me that I wanted to re-listen to it again.

Posted by ReignmondThis freebie ebook from Gutenberg Press and by the Master Sci-Fi writer Philip.

Posted by ReignmondAt Home: a short history of private life by Bill Bryson. An enjoyable book about everyday things we don't even think about. [amazon.com]

Posted by ReignmondAt Home: a short history of private life by Bill Bryson. An enjoyable book about everyday things we don't even think about. [amazon.com]

Posted by ReignmondJust finished Bomber Mafia written by my genetic 4th cousin on both of our Fathers' side.

Posted by ReignmondI read this back in about 1983.

Posted by ReignmondVery good. I have noticed that 12 step programs are ineffective. [goodreads.com]

Posted by ReignmondActually read this some time ago (46 years) while trying to figure out why I simply could not believe in Jesus or God or anything else I was being told by Bible Thumpers.

Posted by ReignmondThis is one of my very most favorite books.

Posted by Julie808I'm currently reading "The Power Worshippers" by Katherine Stewart. Is anyone else reading this?

• Top tags#book #books #world #god #novels #religion #hope #Christian #authors #writers #truth #atheism #friends #religious #Jesus #scifi #DonaldTrump #Bible #Atheist #christianity #movies #philosophy #evolution #death #earth #humans #agnostic #Russian #media #insane #grace #divine #parents #believer #fantasy #children #testament #politicians #USA #devil #hell #florida #Noah #sleep #community #ghosts #weather #humanity #kids #mother ...

Members 144Top