Agnostic.com
4 4

Preparing canvases. I used to make my own stretchers, stretch the canvas, apply several coats of gesso sanding between each coat. Now I buy pre-made canvases with gesso already applied.
The problem is that acrylic paint quite often does not adhere to these canvases; at least not the first pass of color blocking.
The reason: likely there is oil present.
The solution: gesso, sand and then gesso again. Repeat until the desired texture is achieved. Super smooth can take several applications .

I like having a little “tooth” so I usually only do two or three coats.

How do you work your canvases?

HelenRoseBuck 6 June 18
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

By gesso, you mean rabbit skin glue?

Annaleda Level 8 Sep 15, 2021

the application of gesso with a squeege produces some nice smooth surfaces if your into that, and speeds up the process. makes me think about building stretchers again.

hankster Level 9 June 18, 2021

Thanks! I’ll give it a try.

I have some artist friends who use spall rollers. Have you ever tried them?

@HelenRoseBuck my memory is goes on faster, but didn't achieve the super smooth surface i was looking for. i would go over once with the brush to ensure complete coverage, then go at it with a thin metal blade about 12" long used as a guard to paint window trim. it made a great squeege for thinner stuff like gesso.

I have not been a painter but am considering taking up acrylics, so this is good to know.

KateOahu Level 8 June 18, 2021

That's a tricky question. I am certainly not an artist and have had no training. When I paint, it's in a canvas book and I just let the paint and brushes make me feel like a fool. I'm jealous of those of you that create such wonderful worlds. Keep at it!

Holysocks Level 8 June 18, 2021

Same to you! Keep at it. No two artists are alike and EVERYONE is a creative person so do your thing!

@HelenRoseBuck
You are absolutely right! I don't complain about my paintings especially since some of my metal work has been shipped overseas. The important thing is to enjoy what you do.

@Holysocks just took a peek at your page and saw some of your art. Love it!

@HelenRoseBuck
Thank you! Some of it is ridiculous, and some serious. I love making all of it if it makes someone smile.

@HelenRoseBuck
I take it you are into photography as well?

@Holysocks amateur photographer. I take mostly reference photos for my paintings

@HelenRoseBuck
They can be accidentally beautiful too.

everyone... everyone is an artmaker. by choice or not. practice and get better, sure, but paintings of mudhole fights count.

@hankster
You got it. If it's painted nails in an old board, framed dried flowers, etc. If someone is expressing themselves, it's beautiful.

@Holysocks well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but i take your meaning if the "creating" is beautiful despite it's product sometimes. lol.

@hankster
Okokok.most of my work might be placed among pictures of flatus....

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 24

Photos 2,528 More

Posted by JolantaAlmost good enough to eat.

Posted by metalfactoryMetal Factory - Beautifully Designed, Custom-Made Straight Staircase

Posted by KateOahuSpending August in Big Bay, Michigan, again this year.

Posted by AussieBudgieSome shots from my recent travels.

Posted by KynleiFinished my cartoon character drawing today. Note, this is for personal use only and I will not be selling it. The characters belong to their respective owners and are subject to copyright.

• Top tags#god #religion #video #religious #friends #world #hope #church #reason #animals #Atheist #relationship #atheism #hell #death #community #humans #kids #Christmas #children #movies #books #oil #book #dogs #Bible #cats #agnostic #Christian #sex #beliefs #photography #Jesus #money #hello #evidence #parents #mother #earth #religions #guns #loves #holiday #DonaldTrump #flowers #laws #youtube #created #society #belief ...

Members 1,093Top