Agnostic.com
2 1

Hello everyone, just joined the group. I'm interested to hear what others are doing on line, are they happy with results. What tools are being used and what are the main pain points.

Cabernet56 2 May 15
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I work online temporarily for a local government. I use webex for meetings. I love it completely. I also really love my job in general. The organization offers a lot of employee support such of catastrophic event support, food banks, etc. I know of other small local governments that have outsourced tasks such as building plan reviews because they don't get enough projects to justify a full time plans reviewer.

Thanks for connecting June. Happy to hear you are adapting and loving the new normal for work. I started my first company in 1984 and since then have spent considerable time working from home. Today, I still have a couple of companies I'm working with - both full time from home (can't say I miss the airport line-ups at all). The one company has developed a collaboration platform including video, chat and shared tasks. Perfect for any business or government trying to keep their employees and teams connected and productive.

My other business started out as a gold savings plan, but has turned into one of my main income sources. So many new friends and colleagues.

What do you see as your main challenges with working from home?

@Cabernet56 I'm not experiencing any challenges so far. I'm loving it so far but if I hit a roadblock I'll look you up.

Hello. Yes, this group was created some time ago for members to share their experiences and suggestions. In the current situation we are living through, I would have thought it was more relevant than ever. As for myself, now the moderator, I teach English online to business professionals and I've been doing it for a long time. The company is now a sub group of Berlitz, and we work by telephone and increasingly by Skype, using their learning platform to connect with students, mostly in Europe but all over the world. We can be quite flexible in our teaching. You have to be assertive about getting an hourly rate, but you can work your own hours and without too much interference. Personally I would like to move into online research. I have a research background in adult education, but I haven't found a good gig online. Personally I could no more work in an office again than I could drink glue. Enough of that for me. If you have experiences yourself, please share. Thanks.

David

David1955 Level 8 May 15, 2020

Thanks for replying David, as a former Management Consultant, I certainly understand your point about being assertive about rates. However, I've largely given that part of my career up and am now helping out a Blockchain software company and building a group of gold savers. Doing what I can to create several sources of income so that if one fails, then the others will carry me while I build up another stream.

I've been working from home for almost five years now and like you can't see myself submitting to the drudgery of an office job. Still, drinking glue seems a little extreme. I help manage a global organization using video conferencing and the collaboration platform we built. It might even be useful for your on-line learning platform. In the next week or so we are releasing a free version during the COVD lockdown. Let me know if you want to be added to the list of connections we hope will give it a try and provide some feedback as to how it can be improved.

The gold savings group of affiliates also uses the new technologies to keep in touch. It will be interesting to see how these online connections redefine how both traditional and new business models evolve.
Again, thanks for the reply, stay safe.

Andrew