Agnostic.com
1 0

I've not been active in BO for a while. I've been personally frustrated with my progress losing weight, and with the lack of communication among group members. Dot has kept the group from being closed, because she posts often. Thank you Dot.

Today I changed some things in the group description. In so doing, I've expanded the purpose of the group. Each person who changes their diet to vegan does about the same to combat climate change as driving an electric vehicle. Thus, my new motto is Diet Change, Not Climate Change. However, the biggest changes of my becoming vegan were personal. 1. My blood pressure dropped and doctors took away my BP meds. In fact, my BP is often below 100/70, so low doctors usually ask if I ever feel faint, which has not occurred. 2. The neuropathic pain I suffered for 5 years, with no effective pain killer, stopped. The pain was almost as bad as the aftereffects of my back operation, but no med helped, not even morphine 3. My blood vessels cleared of plaque. 4. My diabetes is gone and I'm no longer on diabetes medicine.

Becoming vegan is the best thing I've ever done, for climate and me.

EdEarl 8 Apr 22
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

BTW, Ed, Happy 50th anniversary of Earth Day; Today, April 22, 2020.

And as an ecologist who's also constantly challenged with weight maintenance, I have a bone to pick with you.

I love your devotion to B.O. - but I can't concur with your comment " Each person who changes their diet to vegan does about the same to combat climate change as driving an electric vehicle."

Driving an EV is far more helpful to the environment than going vegan.

The whole animal farming industry adds as low as 5% and as high as 10% of G.W. gases...compared to 50-55% for gas driven vehicles.

Driving a I.C.E.(internal combustion engine) car produces pounds of CO2 per mile....changing to an EV saves thousands of pounds per year of this gas going in to the atmosphere.

And even if the EV is powered by central power (Coal 25-30% Petrol 55-60% Wind, hydro, nuclear 10-20%) it's still 100% more efficient than individual cars.

Does going vegan make you healthier? No doubt. Is it better for the environment? of Course. but it's not the same as driving an EV.

And neither have much of an effect on the environment.

"Going vegetarian actually is quite difficult: One large U.S. survey indicates that 84% of people fail, most of them in less than a year. But a systematic peer-reviewed study has shown that, even if they succeed, their vegetarian diets reduce individual CO2 emissions by the equivalent of 540 kilos — or just 4.3% of the emissions of the average inhabitant of a developed country. Furthermore, there is a “rebound effect,” as money saved on cheaper vegetarian food is spent on goods and services that cause additional greenhouse-gas emissions. Once we account for this, going entirely vegetarian reduces a person’s total emissions by only 2%".

[marketwatch.com]

Robecology Level 9 Apr 22, 2020

I think your article in market watch has considerable bias against being vegan. If you find supporting information in more than one.edu, I'd accept your thesis. My research shows the estimates vary widely, so I am not going to battle with you over how much better being vegan is for individuals and the environment.

Recent Visitors 5

Photos 99 More

Posted by OldMetalHeadI hit a new weight milestone this week. Still trying for the six-pack.

Posted by OldMetalHeadThe hardest part for me is not falling back into old bad habits after meeting goals.

Posted by OldMetalHeadThe hardest part for me is not falling back into old bad habits after meeting goals.

Posted by JonnaBononnaI had finally gotten back on track after gaining back most of the weight I lost a couple of years ago.

Posted by JurneeI have to say, as an overweight karate instructor, this is the one patch that I was ok with never getting.

Posted by DotLewis13 March 2020 - Diet Diary - Holding steady, up a little, down a little.

Posted by DotLewis13 March 2020 - Diet Diary - Holding steady, up a little, down a little.

Posted by DotLewis7 March 2020 - Diet Diary - Been quiet around here lately. I've not been on vacation, just keeping a low profile and trying to stay on top of things. Are those things incompatible?

Posted by DotLewis26 Sept.

Posted by MyMrsFifiAte my tiny meal...... Still hungry.... Waiting for snack time like this......

Posted by DotLewisWell, that's annoying! Twice I "shared" this post from Gardeners group to here and neither time did it appear.

Posted by DotLewisWell, that's annoying! Twice I "shared" this post from Gardeners group to here and neither time did it appear.

Posted by DotLewisTrade wars?

Posted by DotLewisTrade wars?

• Top tags#Diet #hope #Exercise #dogs #weather #friends #sleep #coffee #Friday #god #reason #book #video #limit #Shopping #church #world #religious #Atheist #kids #rain #atheism #religion #hell #parents #animals #money #humans #apple #cats #holiday #Christmas #death #children #agnostic #Christian #relationship #cancer #chinese #fear #mother #anxiety #vote #beliefs #truth #Bible #evidence #saved #weed #oil ...

Members 255Top

Moderators