Agnostic.com
8 7

Why do I automatically come here for refuge, when I'm upset on FB?
I've been enjoying interactions on The Orville (TV sci-fi series) group. I got my aging mind thinking analytically & creatively to respond to a post on how can we get to a future to such an equitable, ethics-based logical society.

I constructed a lengthy reply to a comment on religion & money. It was deleted & further comments blocked, due to my suggestion that ending all religions & belief in deities (living a more evidence-based & science-based life) would give us a better chance. The admin is clearly highly religious & defensive, without argument or evidence, against a little atheism. Very unexpected. He posted that I was scape-goating religion.

How can "leadership" of fans of sci-fi shows, with clear messages about racism, gender, sexuality, equity, etc., still be so closed minded, dogmatic & christians-only responses allowed?? Disconcerting for me; 'twisted' for them.
How do theists "logic" this inconsistency?

LizZyG 5 July 14
Share
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

3

You come here for comfort because the IQ level is usually higher than many of the groups on FB. And, to answer your question, they MUST ''logic this inconsistency'' or admit that they've been CONNED!

LucyLoohoo Level 9 July 15, 2022
2

Seth MacFarlane makes no secret of his atheism and several of the episodes of the show have had atheist messages. Even the enemy species the Krill are portrayed as religious zealots. It seems strange that "fans" would block a suggestion that religion is harmful when that is the point of some of the episodes.

I have only seen the first two seasons, I don't get Hulu so no season 3 for me.

piphirho Level 7 July 15, 2022

[srstop.link]

Try this link.

3

"How do theists "logic" this inconsistency?" The short answer is that they don't. A longer answer is that they rely on a process called compartmentalization. An even longer answer is that such people either refuse to or are incapable of applying basic thinking skills to the entirety of their lives.

anglophone Level 9 July 15, 2022
3

The word theists and logic should never be used together. Talk about an oxymoron, heavy on the moron.

Sticks48 Level 9 July 15, 2022
3

The Christian fascists see both the demographic writing on the wall, and also the increasingly empty pews. They have been the majority forever, and that is just a few years from changing. This is their last gasp, but being a cornered animal, they are dangerous. This pattern of over-reach will have the effect of offending everyone else. At some point, the tide will turn, and Christian Nationalism will be given the same treatment as the Nazis. In truth, they are the same and always were. Mainly, their behavior is changing because they now face an existential threat: themselves.

racocn8 Level 9 July 14, 2022
2

As a fan of Science Fiction, myself, I find this disappointing. Just as we have atheists who adhere to pseudo-science & conspiracy theories, we will have SF fans that adhere to religion. It's a shame, but it's a fact of life, I guess...

phxbillcee Level 10 July 14, 2022
2

Theists minds have been retarded by their adherence to their doctrine aka good book.
No good arguing with retarded people, logic does not work.

puff Level 8 July 14, 2022
4

"How do theists "logic" this inconsistency?"
I don't know, maybe ask theist.
I'm not qualified.

Write Comment