Agnostic.com
14 7

Ive always hated being an introvert. Can anyone relate?

ButterToast223 4 Apr 21
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes I can totally relate. I see people protesting about the social distancing in my state. I like it.... Is that strange? I get very agitated in crowds. I like being alone.

Tmax66 Level 3 May 11, 2020

I think of introversion as my superpower. See [medium.com]

plf515 Level 4 Apr 25, 2020

My introversion is such a major part of who I am, how can I hate it?

Theresa_N Level 8 Apr 22, 2020

I've often wished I were more outgoing, but we are what we are. I've come to accept my introversion as a part of who I am. I'm just really uncomfortable in group conversations.... even on zoom. I tend to be quiet in those situations, but one on one, I'm an angry mob.

I used to hate it, but now in my early 60's, I just live with it, to the point of just avoiding situations that I know I am going to be uncomfortable as an introvert. But one thing that still bothers me is my inability to participate in "small talk". I can be in a group of people, perhaps not friends but acquaintances, and listening to several conversations and feel this admiration for all these people who can just stand and talk about nothing. I find that I have almost nothing to add to the conversation unless the conversation is about something that I am very interested in, perhaps passionate about - otherwise, I just stand there and pretend to be interested. I don't know if that is an aspect of being an introvert or if I am just socially inept...? Part of my problem, for sure, is the feeling that I'll make a fool of myself. I think it was Lincoln who said; "Better to be silent and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt". I have kind of lived that philosophy to a fault, most of my life.

At the time in my life when I was (maybe) bothered by it, I had no idea what it was. I knew that I was uncomfortable in large groups of people, especially those I didn't know well. No desire to hit the bar/club scene, not even too thrilled with school or social events if there were more than maybe a dozen people there.
I can't say I "hated" being that way, I just accepted that I was that way and hated the large gatherings and being stuck in situations where I could not get away for some quiet time.

By the time I had a handle on this personality trait, I was in a better position to control my "social" activities. Strangely, I took up social work as a career, spent almost 30 years working with people and about half of that also raising a son, on my own. My delayed sleep cycle syndrome really came to light during those years, late night, after the boy was asleep, being pretty much the only real solitude I could get in a "day" so I was usually up past midnight.

In my retirement, I have found introversion very comfortable. I no longer feel any need to attend social gatherings I'm not comfortable with, I make social contacts when I feel an urge to do so but can usually bow out gracefully when I've had enough. The whole stay home thing has not, in and of itself, been a problem for me. What would make it go smoother for me would be if I curtailed my "social media" contacts significantly as the most disturbing thing has been the crazy bastards out there, the conspiracy theories, the "protesters" who are crying about their lack of haircuts. My tolerance for "stupid" people has definitely tanked. Quarantine may have been easier in 1918.

DotLewis Level 7 Apr 22, 2020

I don't like the social paralysis. I've always suffered because of it. And in a society where women don't dare express interest in men, it's been pretty devoid of intimacy.

BitFlipper Level 8 Apr 21, 2020

I prefer introverts and like being one for the most part.

as a journalist i could be outgoing and questioning, but privately i'm shy in a crowd. i don't mind being by myself

TheDoubter Level 9 Apr 21, 2020

I’m ok with it. When I was married, working, and raising kids, getting enough ‘me’ time was a challenge, but I could easily switch from being the ‘nurse-Beth’ to the mom-Beth’ to the ‘wife-Beth’. I was lucky that the kids had plenty of grandparents, aunts, and uncles, so my weekends were recharge quiet time.

Yup same here but gradually got over it

bobwjr Level 10 Apr 21, 2020

I only wish for my parents sake. I always felt they wanted more of me that I could not give.

Like the others replying here , for the most part , I enjoy being with myself . I was very fortunate that most of my working life didn't require a people person . I love reading , quiet , living my life according to my standards , without the hassal of either having to live by other's rules or having to fight for mine .

Cast1es Level 9 Apr 21, 2020

I think it was more of an issue when I was younger, but at this stage of my life I’m pretty comfortable with it.
I can choose when and if I want to socialize and enjoy my own company the rest of the time.

Haemish1 Level 8 Apr 21, 2020
Write Comment

Recent Visitors 51

Photos 852 More

Posted by TheoryNumber3In honor of Eclipse Day.....

Posted by KilltheskyfairyI’m perfectly happy so must be something wrong…

Posted by KilltheskyfairyIntroverts. Creatures of the Night!

Posted by KilltheskyfairyDon’t ring my doorbell!

Posted by KilltheskyfairyThe face helps…

Posted by KilltheskyfairyThe face helps…

Posted by FrostyJim...I have a lifetime membership.

Posted by KilltheskyfairyAnd yet I thrive…

Posted by KilltheskyfairyAnd yet I thrive…

Posted by KilltheskyfairyWell, that deteriorated quickly…

• Top tags#friends #video #world #religion #god #hello #religious #hell #hope #relationship #Atheist #anxiety #money #reason #cats #truth #book #kids #dogs #introvert #Bible #children #humans #church #memes #fear #lonely #guns #wife #books #mother #Song #beliefs #laws #community #animals #sleep #Christian #Friday #movies #media #TheTruth #DonaldTrump #advice #faith #sex #parents #evidence #belief #coffee ...

Members 1,994Top

Moderators