Agnostic.com
9 8

Talons as formidable as a bear claws

AnonySchmoose 8 Feb 4
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

there not theb biggest but they are the most powerful eagle due too there habitat and prey animals

Why is it chained? why isn't it free to live life as it chooses?

Good question. There was no explanation. Maybe it was an orphan that needed protection, and maybe they will release it when it will be mature enough to fend for itself. ( In its native Central & South American rainforest territory the harpy eagle is considered by IUCN to be near threatened and considered by CITES to be threatened with extinction. ) Until it can be released and fend for itself, those talons are very dangerous. They have enough psi to crush a human skull.

Fantastic Birds.

"The harpy eagle is the national bird of Panama and is depicted on the coat of arms of Panama.[74] The 15th harpy eagle released in Belize, named "Hope", was dubbed "Ambassador for Climate Change", in light of the United Nations Climate Change Conference 2009.

The bird appeared on the reverse side of the Venezuelan 2,000 bolívares fuertes note.

The harpy eagle was the inspiration behind the design of Fawkes the Phoenix in the Harry Potter film series. Harpy eagles are depicted in Maya codices." [en.wikipedia.org]

Almost unbelievable

Lorajay Level 9 Feb 4, 2022

The feather crown makes it look bigger than it is, They are in the 10-30 pound range, with most being in the 15pound range in the wild. Still impressive.

I know! They look like imaginary creatures such as dragons are.

Even its chicks look like tough little buggers

Wow! The babies do look formidable! Ouch!
Thanks! Beautiful picture.

Wow, that little baby looks angry!

Those pictures are terrifying. That may be the creepiest, scariest bird I've ever seen, but I'm also sad about the massive shackles they have on him.

dkp93 Level 8 Feb 4, 2022

I agree. Harpies are huge enough that I would definitely keep away from them. Beautiful creature though. They are endemic to Central America and the Amazon rainforest in several countries. "Globally, the harpy eagle is considered near threatened by IUCN and threatened with extinction by CITES ...Populations have dwindled considerably. It is threatened primarily by habitat loss due to the expansion of logging, cattle ranching, agriculture, and prospecting. Secondarily, it is threatened by being hunted as an actual threat to livestock and/or a supposed one to human life, due to its great size." [en.wikipedia.org]

@AnonySchmoose Humans doing what we do best - destroying things. 😟

@dkp93
Tragically so.

I'm not planning to get into a fight with it .

Cast1es Level 9 Feb 4, 2022

They can be a threat to humans if we approach their nest. They could carry a child. "Their rear talons are 3 to 4 inches long – the same length as a grizzly bear's claws. They have a grip strength of appproximately 530 psi – more than enough to crush the human skull & squash the brain like a grape." [thereluctantenthusiast.com]

I've seen wedge tailed eagles that looked as big as that

puff Level 8 Feb 4, 2022

Wedge-tailed Eagles can have a somewhat wider wingspan, but the maximum reported weight is surpassed by two other eagles (the Harpy and Steller's Sea eagles) and the wings are shorter than large eagles of open country (such as the White-tailed Eagle, Steller's Sea Eagle, Martial Eagle, or Wedge-tailed Eagle), but are quite broad. Philippine Eagles are considered the largest of the eagles in the world in terms of length and wing surface.

@AnonySchmoose In the Flinder's Ranges in Sth Australia. Had a Datsun 1000 (very low) and driving along, a pair were pigging out on kangaroo roadkill. I slowed right down and stopped next to them and one was the same height as me, looking at each other with level eyes. It was a big bird. Some photo's from google for you.
[google.com]

@puff
The Wedge-tailed Eagle is really beautiful.

@AnonySchmoose they are, and mate for life

Saw one at the zoo in Belize, impressive.

glennlab Level 10 Feb 4, 2022

As a child, I had recurring nightmares about being carried off by a bird like that. Dramatic and scary.

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 22

Photos 261 More

Posted by TheoryNumber3That just ain't logical. Woof!

Posted by glennlabThese people should have their hunting licenses revoked and banned from ever being allowed to ever own any type of weapon again.

Posted by TheoryNumber3Here Kitty Kitty ! (Or maybe not) [newsbreak.com]

Posted by tinkercreekSquirrels, if they're not teasing the dogs and cats, or begging for handouts at the window:

Posted by HeffsterIn case you were wondering what happened to the dinosaurs, here's a baby blue heron for you.

Posted by TheoryNumber3Now, in an open letter(opens in new tab) to the Biden administration published Oct.

Posted by TheoryNumber3Screaming monkeys, 'headless' penguins and face-planting zebras take top honors in Comedy Wildlife awards [livescience.com] What do you mean "smile"?! I am smiling!

Posted by tinkercreekGo ahead, buy those pumpkins!

Posted by glennlabSince I have installed the bird/cat spikes my pond has been flourishing and my fish growing.

Posted by glennlabSince I have installed the bird/cat spikes my pond has been flourishing and my fish growing.

Posted by tinkercreekDo you see it?

Posted by glennlabThis little guy found a spot in my shop towel bucket.

Posted by glennlabThis little guy found a spot in my shop towel bucket.

Posted by AnonySchmooseTalons as formidable as a bear claws

Posted by tinkercreekAwwwwwwww!

Posted by ZoohomeTwo fawns in one week 😱 my side yard is the chosen stop for those does.

• Top tags#video #dogs #cats #animals #world #god #church #religious #Australia #friends #fish #pets #religion #birds #species #children #Jesus #atheism #relationship #parents #magic #Song #college #LMAO #monkeys #reason #advice #Atheist #death #puppy #sleep #evidence #belief #beliefs #agnostic #DonaldTrump #community #government #books #myths #saved #earth #kids #ancestors #society #evolution #Catholic #christianity #vote #hell ...

Members 149Top